County vs Morton 27/10/18

7 minutes ago, Les Westander of County said:

Wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if Stelios starts at RB after his performance v Ayr.

May not have a choice.  Half the defence appears to be dead or dying.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Toby said:

The league win in Dingwall was 2-0- a Ross Matheson double in 2000 and the cup win was 2-1 in 2003. Alex Williams double and Winters scoring for you lot. One thing I remember about the league game was that it’s possibly the only time I’ve been to a game that one of the away team’s players was awarded the sponsors’ man of the match (Matheson). 

Never known that to happen - especially surprised at that, given how our season panned out and what was going on behind the scenes at the time.

At the cup game a Ton fan got put out at half time for going onto the track to kick a ball back to one of the subs. He trampled and jumped in every puddle on the way out, soaking the two stewards in the process.

On 10/22/2018 at 21:00, Colkitto said:

Whether you rate them or not  the fact is we have 5 forward players out at the time of writing.  ALL have been involved in the 1st team squad this season.

Our second and third choice forwards are fit and will feature; so the fitness of Ben Armour or some other bib-carrier is irrelevant. 

33 minutes ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

The joint managers are making some rumblings about having to play a development team centre half this weekend due to injuries. 

Now if only we had a strike force worthy of the name to take advantage of that. 

I'm glad that they might give Grivosti a chance.  However it wouldn't surprise me to see Ross Draper put in at centre-back instead, if all of the senior midfielders are fit.

Only issue with Draper at centre half is his positional sense, don't think he's got the awareness of what he's supposed to do all the time when he's in the back four/three but then he's a midfielder by trade so that's not surprising. He's certainly big and strong enough to do a job there if needed.

10 hours ago, Comrie said:

Only issue with Draper at centre half is his positional sense, don't think he's got the awareness of what he's supposed to do all the time when he's in the back four/three but then he's a midfielder by trade so that's not surprising. He's certainly big and strong enough to do a job there if needed.

I don't see why more clubs don't play a central midfielder in defence when up against a sole striker. Leave yer proper centre back on a man marking job and yer centre mid floating about picking up runners and it also gives you an extra player to build attacking moves out of defence with.

52 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I don't see why more clubs don't play a central midfielder in defence when up against a sole striker. Leave yer proper centre back on a man marking job and yer centre mid floating about picking up runners and it also gives you an extra player to build attacking moves out of defence with.

The less I see of Draper passing the ball out of defence, the better.

9 hours ago, Comrie said:

The less I see of Draper passing the ball out of defence, the better.

A back four of Kelly, Grivosti, Draper and Stelios is there for the taking.  It might be a good week for Morton to have all their strikers eat some poisoned food.

21 minutes ago, StoneThrowAway said:

The last County vs Morton game I can remember in Dingwall the Morton fans were fighting amongst themselves in the away terracing... good times.

It's one of our strengths. Any jaunt up the A9 for Morton fans has the potential for fisticuffs.

Seen Grivosti for the Dev Squad, at centreback and in midfield, and thought he stood out as a really good prospect.  Albeit more comfortable in defence.
But as everyone has already said, it would take a lot of unavailable players for Grivosti to start - lucky for him.

Would be happy with any of Watson, an out of position Stelios, or a recovering Fraser at rightback.
Tony Dingwall has put in some decent/under-rated shifts there, but him out of position at right back with development/out of position players at centre-back gives me the fear.

Act it'll be fine.

Spoiler

Terms and Conditions apply: County reserve the right to hope that Morton's forwards are in poor form and that luck applies. This fixture is an opportunity to discover whether our make-shift defence is fine or not fine. It might or might not be fine, nor anything resembling fine. The above statement is not a guarantee that anything will be fine.

Agree with those saying they'd be happy with a point here, despite County's defensive problems.

I'd stick with the same starting eleven, other than Tumilty in for Kilday if necessary, and if Johnstone is fit enough to appear from the bench then good. We don't want to rush him back into the team and lose him for weeks again, while Oliver has improved the last couple of games.

Archived