County vs Morton 27/10/18

This habit of folding worse than a Ukrainian-made deckchair is not endearing me to the manager. Don't think that the result changes too much for us though - we'll be midtable unless Johnstone comes back good and we can replace some of our leftover dross from the Duffy period in January. 
More of these scorelines and I don't think he'll have earned the right to start building his own squad though. 

Mid-table = Bottom half.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Losing 5 goals twice to no more than competent opposition is worrying, but we've gone way too early here: Johansson should and will be given at least until he can bring in one or two players of his own choosing. Not talking about massive backing for a large-scale clearout, but an opportunity to address the clear deficiencies in the squad he inherited.

He may not turn out to be a manager -- who knows? -- but it's far, far too early to be talking about replacing him.

It’s not going to be too early if he keeps racking up these sort of scorelines. I think we’ll carry on as we are now in the division until the transfer window at least, but if he loses the Partick and Alloa games next month instead then it’s terminal for him from there. A new, novice manager deserves chances but he’s fast burning through them at the moment.

3 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Losing 5 goals twice to no more than competent opposition is worrying, but we've gone way too early here: Johansson should and will be given at least until he can bring in one or two players of his own choosing. Not talking about massive backing for a large-scale clearout, but an opportunity to address the clear deficiencies in the squad he inherited.

He may not turn out to be a manager -- who knows? -- but it's far, far too early to be talking about replacing him.

No more than competent opposition?  You were scudded by the same amount of goals that we've conceded  all season.....  we've also scored almost double the amount of goals Morton have.....  Get it up ye! 

FWIW I expect Ross County to win the league by about ten points. They’ve got the strongest squad on paper by some distance and are putting together the results as well.

Losing up there is not an issue but you need to apply a damage limitation approach after the second goal.

11 minutes ago, Bri RCFC said:

No more than competent opposition?  You were scudded by the same amount of goals that we've conceded  all season.....  we've also scored almost double the amount of goals Morton have.....  Get it up ye! 

All I’m saying is that neither you nor Ayr are good enough to justify us brushing off five-goal defeats.

I also happen to think you’ll win the league comfortably.

So, with that, get it up yerself...

16 minutes ago, virginton said:

It’s not going to be too early if he keeps racking up these sort of scorelines. I think we’ll carry on as we are now in the division until the transfer window at least, but if he loses the Partick and Alloa games next month instead then it’s terminal for him from there. A new, novice manager deserves chances but he’s fast burning through them at the moment.

I find it hard to get too far ahead of it after a game I haven’t seen, so maybe that’s why I’m surprised at any talk of Johansson getting bumped.

His job, as I see it, is to pick up points where they’re there to be had as he gets to grips with the squad and a way of playing. Then we need to see what he wants to bring in.

Failing to beat Alloa, admittedly, wouldn’t be a good look... but let’s get there first.

I find it hard to get too far ahead of it after a game I haven’t seen, so maybe that’s why I’m surprised at any talk of Johansson getting bumped.
His job, as I see it, is to pick up points where they’re there to be had as he gets to grips with the squad and a way of playing. Then we need to see what he wants to bring in.
Failing to beat Alloa, admittedly, wouldn’t be a good look... but let’s get there first.

If he had couple of narrow defeats under his belt then there certainly wouldn’t be this discussion right now. We’re under little immediate pressure from anyone in the league right now so under normal circumstances we would continue until the transfer window and the end of the season without any pressure on the manager. He’s brought this discussion on himself though because he isn’t getting the required response from the players - particularly when we go behind, as two utter capitulations in just six games have shown. If he doesn’t get to grips with that issue then his credibility won’t last long at all; he doesn’t have a track record to point to instead as a reason for the fans or even the players to believe in him.

The first twenty five and from the second goal to the fourth we were excellent, some quality passing has Morton chasing shadows. Vigurs, Mckay and Cowie all immense. 

Morton seemed to have totally run out of steam in the last twenty minutes, legs looked heavy. 

I think we’re getting to the stage where we’re now clear about how the managers want us to play. Wins against Caley  and United in the next two games will put is in a great position for finishing the first half of the season in top place, but a long way to go.

Tbf I thought County downed tools for about 20 minutes after the first goal, with the second for Billy just before ht it gave everyone a bounce for the second half, possible hat trick which came pretty quick.  

DKD took his goal really well and a special mention to debutant 17 year old Mark Gallagher who had a good shot blocked near the end.

11 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

Tbf I thought County downed tools for about 20 minutes after the first goal, with the second for Billy just before ht it gave everyone a bounce for the second half, possible hat trick which came pretty quick.  

DKD took his goal really well and a special mention to debutant 17 year old Mark Gallagher who had a good shot blocked near the end.

That seems to sum us up this season so far, we've yet to put in a full 90 minutes of football. At the minute we'll have 20-25 minutes of no giving a damn and then the inevitable Vigurs pass to absolutely nobody across the centre circle that lets a team in. When we're in top gear, we're looking impressive.

Apart from when Fox had to make a save in the first after Draper tried claiming for offside rather than playing to the whistle, and at the end after a miss-hit shot was creeping in, Morton offered very little going forward. 

Thought Cowie and Vigurs strolled through that game, the pass for the first goal was nice (was it KDK) and can I also thank Dundee Utd for providing McKay with the much need boost to his confidence.

Also thought it would be a cold day in hell before I saw Vicky Park give McKay a standing ovation for a hat-trick....it was pretty cold mind.

The amount of passes we strung together at times was impressive.

Truly surprised at how easy that was for us.

Since the defeat to Morton  2 months we have kept 5 clean sheets, conceded just 2, scored 16 in 7 league games and amassed 17 from a possible 21 points. Its impressive and a far cry from the woeful perfomances seen last season.

Getting relagated was disappointing, but watching a good style of football that sees us doing well more than makes up for it. We also get to see goals aplenty!

Onwards to Falkirk. I remember in the title winning season when we won the First Division we went to play them. They were 1-0 up as the game edged to full time. We levelled with almost the last kick of the game and our monumental unbeaten run kept going. That defeat for Falkirk, who if memory serves me right were on our coat tails at the time,  must have been really deflating for them. As it was we became unstoppable after that and the rest is history. More of the same please on Tuesday.

Archived