Ex Rangers player Ian Durrant in Bigotry outburst

21 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I'm not entirely sure what part of the Protestant doctrine promotes hatred of the head of the Catholic Church. Surely the point of religion is to be inclusive and to love thy neighbour as it were.

Not hatred as such, but here is an extract from the Westminster Confession of Faith, adopted by both the Anglican and Presbyterian churches - "It states that the Pope is the Antichrist, which was a very common belief in seventeenth-century England.[3] It also stated that the Roman Catholic mass is a form of idolatry, that the civil magistrates have divine authority to punish heresy, and rules out marriage with non-Christians. These formulations were repudiated by several bodies which adopted the confession (for instance, the Church of Scotland, though its ministers are still free to adhere to the full confession and some do), but the confession remains part of the official doctrine of some other Presbyterian churches. For example, the Presbyterian Church of Australia holds to the Westminster Confession of Faith as its standard, subordinate to the Word of God, and read in the light of a declaratory statement.[4] "

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Not hatred as such, but here is an extract from the Westminster Confession of Faith, adopted by both the Anglican and Presbyterian churches - "It states that the Pope is the Antichrist, which was a very common belief in seventeenth-century England.[3] It also stated that the Roman Catholic mass is a form of idolatry, that the civil magistrates have divine authority to punish heresy, and rules out marriage with non-Christians. These formulations were repudiated by several bodies which adopted the confession (for instance, the Church of Scotland, though its ministers are still free to adhere to the full confession and some do), but the confession remains part of the official doctrine of some other Presbyterian churches. For example, the Presbyterian Church of Australia holds to the Westminster Confession of Faith as its standard, subordinate to the Word of God, and read in the light of a declaratory statement.[4] "

That's, almost word for word, what was going through Durrant's head as he reached for the microphone.

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Sectarianism is largely just tribalism now. But what you describe above is where the almost genetic dislike/dicrimination is inherited from down the generations. And of course the 17th century reformed church attitudes were themselves a reaction to the ruthless reaction of Rome to challenges to it's authority and doctrines. And on and on it goes.  Cue Martin Luther King quote......

Just now, Pet Jeden said:

Sectarianism is largely just tribalism now. But what you describe above is where the almost genetic dislike/dicrimination is inherited from down the generations. And of course the 17th century reformed attitudes were themselves a reaction to the ruthless reaction of Rome to challenges to it's authority and doctrines. And on and on it goes.  Cue Martin Luther King quote......

I suspect that the sectarianism we see from a subset of the Rangers support is as much anti-Irish in character as strictly anti-catholic. Post-Mojo Rangers fans are happy to see their team padded out with players from a variety of Latin-American and south European countries where the main religion is overwhelmingly Roman Catholicism - but a fair chunk of them are still driven to paroxyms of rage by association with the wrong type of Irishman.

2 minutes ago, Ken Fitlike said:

It really needs a few high profile rangers heroes to come out and say 'see all this FTP, King Billy and similar stuff? We should really drop it as it makes us look like brain-dead morons and  just invites wider society to constantly ridicule us'

If I wasn't a Hibs fan, my preferred scenario would be a successful, high profile managerial signing of Neil Lennon both for the immense craic it would generate, and the healthy effects it would have on the Rangers fanbase.

8 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

I suspect that the sectarianism we see from a subset of the Rangers support is as much anti-Irish in character as strictly anti-catholic. Post-Mojo Rangers fans are happy to see their team padded out with players from a variety of Latin-American and south European countries where the main religion is overwhelmingly Roman Catholicism - but a fair chunk of them are still driven to paroxyms of rage by association with the wrong type of Irishman.

Entirely this.  

That kind of bigotry has its roots in simple antipathy towards an immigrant community, much more than it does in any divergence in beliefs.

Pointing to the latter offers a legitimacy to such sentiment, that it doesn't possess.

1 hour ago, Ken Fitlike said:

It really needs a few high profile rangers heroes to come out and say 'see all this FTP, King Billy and similar stuff? We should really drop it as it makes us look like brain-dead morons and  just invites wider society to constantly ridicule us'

That would be pointless though because as they make crystal clear in their song they definitely do not care what others opinions of them are. 

1 hour ago, Ken Fitlike said:

They are though.

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's, almost word for word, what was going through Durrant's head as he reached for the microphone.

Maybe Durrant had just read the latest issue of National Review and believed he should make his own views on the subject known to the crowd that night in a succinct manner that summed up the lead article ?

Maybe not though and he is just another Lester Piggott.

Pope.jpg

2 hours ago, Ken Fitlike said:

Flying Pig.jpg

Run of the mill behaviour, he will no doubt be apologising............for getting caught.
I hear that he has been getting grief from some punters for not telling them to switch off mobiles - this is apparently standard practice before Tribute Act "legends" get up and do their "its only banter, some of my best pals are ******s" routine.
There's a whole twitter thread about how they need to stop people from videoing these things, they also need to stop videoing "sash bashes" and "euro trips" until people learn what videos are acceptable to put on Facebook and YouTube etc.

[emoji23]

10 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I knew that the Westminster Confession had no current role as a statement of faith within the Anglican communion but wasn't sure of its historic position.  I phoned a friend whose understanding of church history is better than mine.  Knowledgeable as ever, Wee Durranty reckoned that the Wiki article you quoted from was a touch misleading.

He reminded me that, during the Commonwealth period, Parliament had adopted a revised version of the Westminster Confession but, after the restoration, Charles II had kicked it in to the long grass and that it had, as I thought, no place within Anglicanism.

He also expressed disappointment that the Church of Scotland has abandoned the Westminster Confession as a subordinate standard or creedal statement and that he'll never bow the knee to Rome.

17 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I knew that the Westminster Confession had no current role as a statement of faith within the Anglican communion but wasn't sure of its historic position.  I phoned a friend whose understanding of church history is better than mine.  Knowledgeable as ever, Wee Durranty reckoned that the Wiki article you quoted from was a touch misleading.

He reminded me that, during the Commonwealth period, Parliament had adopted a revised version of the Westminster Confession but, after the restoration, Charles II had kicked it in to the long grass and that it had, as I thought, no place within Anglicanism.

He also expressed disappointment that the Church of Scotland has abandoned the Westminster Confession as a subordinate standard or creedal statement and that he'll never bow the knee to Rome.

Top man

About 4 people in the whole of Scotland attend church, so let's stop pretending this is an argument with any kind of academic/ecumenical merit.

A thick, tragic c**t did something to entertain other thick, tragic c***s and whilst ITVBe is still legal, it's a bit hard to get too worked up about that.

3 hours ago, JamieThomas said:

About 4 people in the whole of Scotland attend church, so let's stop pretending this is an argument with any kind of academic/ecumenical merit.

No idea why you chose to throw 'ecumenical' in to a thread which is the antithesis of 'ecumenicism'.  Is it a vaguely religious word that you've just learned?  If so, have another go on a more apposite thread.

Anyway, FTP is fair comment and, in no way, sectarian..  However, in the context of a gathering of a group of football fans, it is definitely lumpen, boorish and moronic.

12 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

f**k the pope isn’t sectarian but *** is?

”Dreary me”.

Not sure what you're struggling with here.  "f**k the Pope" isn't sectarian by any measure.  "f**k Papists" clearly is.  That you can't appreciate the difference between the two and that The H Word is tolerated - or even encouraged on here - is very much to your chagrin.

Archived