Ex Rangers player Ian Durrant in Bigotry outburst

Just came across this in the DR. Not surprised tbh but there you go. What a charming man!

• The text below is for those who won't grace the DR with their presence or their money:

Ex-Rangers star Ian Durrant is at the centre of a bigotry storm after footage of him emerged saying “F*** the Pope”.

The 51-year-old made the outburst into a microphone during a packed football legends dinner, which was also attended by former Ibrox players Barry Ferguson and Lee McCulloch.

The trio were entertaining fans at an event in Bothwell Bridge Hotel, Lanarkshire, earlier this month.

Nine-in-a-row hero Durrant also mentioned former Celtic chairman John Reid just before the slur.

Anti-sectarian campaigners yesterday condemned the former midfielder who is considered a legend by Light Blues fans.

Nil by Mouth director David Scott said: “This is crass behaviour and reflects extremely poorly on the person involved and in 2018 there is no excuse for it.

“That this is someone who is currently in a management position at an SPFL football club also reminds us that sectarianism still blights the game here.”

The dinner was held on October 12 and was organised by Glasgow firm FSG Promotions and Blackpool-based Goldstar Promotions.

Former captain Ferguson, McCulloch and Durrant sat at the top table and talked about their glittering Ibrox careers.

Durrant’s sectarian remark came while Lee McCulloch was talking about Rangers’ run to the 2008 UEFA Cup final in Manchester.

Seconds later Ferguson said “F*** the SFA” sparking a huge cheer from supporters in the room.

The SFA refused to move fixtures to help Rangers prepare for the final against Zenit St Petersburg which resulted in the team playing five games in 11 days.

Rangers lost the final 2-0.

Last month former SFA president George Peat revealed he was contacted by the chairman of a rival club and urged not to assist Rangers in thier fixtrure backlog.

Durrant was assistant manager of Scottish League One side Dumbarton before taking over the team last week following the sacking of manager Steve Aitken.

He lost his first match in charge 3-1 away to Abroath on Saturday.

Durrant left the club yesterday after the appointment of Jim Duffy as boss.

In a 13-year career at Ibrox, Durrant won six league titles, four league cups and three Scottish cups.

In October 1988 Durrant, then 21 was seriously injured in a challenge by Aberdeen player Neil Simpson which tore the cruciate ligaments in his right knee.

Durrant did not play competitive football for almost three years.

Despite injury problems he played a total of 346 competitive games for the club, scoring 45 goals,

He spent four years at Kimarnock before retiring and also won 20 caps for Scotland.

In 2005, he returned to Rangers as a coach and worked under Rangers first team under Walter Smith and Ally McCoist before leaving in June 2016.

No one from the Bothwell Bridge Hotel was available for comment

FSG or Goldstar could not be contacted for comment.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, I don't see anything wrong with saying f**k the Pope, but I feel you should also be willing to say f**k the Queen in the same breath. Durrant probably wasn't prepared to say the latter and that's where I would imagine the problem lies. 

3 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

To be fair, I don't see anything wrong with saying f**k the Pope, but I feel you should also be willing to say f**k the Queen in the same breath. Durrant probably wasn't prepared to say the latter and that's where I would imagine the problem lies. 

Can you expand on this please? 

Because it sounds like half-baked nonsense the way you've left it.

Just now, Estragon said:

Can you expand on this please? 

Because it sounds like half-baked nonsense the way you've left it.

No problem.

Religion is fucking ridiculous in this day and age and therefore the head of two churches can go and f**k themselves IMVHO. 

1 minute ago, Dee Man said:

No problem.

Religion is fucking ridiculous in this day and age and therefore the head of two churches can go and f**k themselves IMVHO. 

But to say one in isolation is bigoted?

In this day and age I would expect all officials to be able to attend a football gathering without even mentioning the Pope. This is a story because it highlights the bigotry integral within Scottish Football and Rangers in particular. Surely we want to do away with this type of bigotry or are some of you saying it's ok because it doesn't matter, who cares? Well clearly the Rangers fans cheering him cared and he cared enough to say it. Why say something if it has no meaning?  

1 minute ago, weejoeharper said:

In this day and age I would expect all officials to be able to attend a football gathering without even mentioning the Pope. This is a story because it highlights the bigotry integral within Scottish Football and Rangers in particular. Surely we want to do away with this type of bigotry or are some of you saying it's ok because it doesn't matter, who cares? Well clearly the Rangers fans cheering him cared and he cared enough to say it. Why say something if it has no meaning?  

He was most recently an employee of Dumbarton Football Club. Surprised you missed that with your clubs supporters obsession with him 

1 minute ago, BobWilliamson said:
5 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Maybe he’s not a fan of whataboutery?

1 minute ago, BobWilliamson said:

I would have thought what is posted on here would be more relevant to him than something said at a private function in a hotel in Bothwell 

Nice piece of whataboutery from you Bob. 

8 minutes ago, Estragon said:

But to say one in isolation is bigoted?

I can see what you're trying to do here and it's not big and it's not clever. 

I'd say singling out the head of the Kafflick church for abuse while leaving the heid of the Proddy's was perhaps showing his religious allegiances, wouldn't you, Estragon?

1 minute ago, Dee Man said:

I can see what you're trying to do here and it's not big and it's not clever. 

I'd say singling out the head of the Kafflick church for abuse while leaving the heid of the Proddy's was perhaps showing his religious allegiances, wouldn't you, Estragon?

I just think it's an unusual caveat.  Would you have the expectation that poor Ian Durrant would have to - in the interests of balance - to scream "f**k the Dalai Lama" into a microphone in front of a crowd of bemused knuckled draggers?

Archived