Forfar vs. Raith Rovers

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Well it obviously depends on the season.... I think the league is tougher all round than last season. Every team is capable on their day, as the league table shows. Thought there were 3/4 really poor sides last season, QP/Albion Rovers and Forfar especially.

And Dunfermline, like Falkirk (potentially) should be nowhere near L1, whilst it's more understandable clubs like Morton/Ayr/QotS and Raith have been in this league recently. They're potentially of a similar size to a club like Dundee if they were to be doing well. Raith fans were flirting with the idea of PT towards the end of last season.

Full time football if done right should be the difference. Smith didn't use it to advantage, mainly due to employing a horrific style of football that negated any benefit. Add to that our players didn't look that fit. Under Smith being full time this season would have meant an even more threadbare squad without any real benefit. 

Mcglynn should in theory make it work for us. Players training 5 times a week should in theory be more organised and probably more fit as the season goes on. I'd like to hope that in the winter we start to see those advantages come through, but we can't really afford to lose much more ground. 

Man for man there's not much at all between ourselves and some other teams in this league. There are some right good players who have played at a good level. We have to hope that the little margins add up over the season. 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Full time football if done right should be the difference. Smith didn't use it to advantage, mainly due to employing a horrific style of football that negated any benefit. Add to that our players didn't look that fit. Under Smith being full time this season would have meant an even more threadbare squad without any real benefit. 

Mcglynn should in theory make it work for us. Players training 5 times a week should in theory be more organised and probably more fit as the season goes on. I'd like to hope that in the winter we start to see those advantages come through, but we can't really afford to lose much more ground. 

Man for man there's not much at all between ourselves and some other teams in this league. There are some right good players who have played at a good level. We have to hope that the little margins add up over the season. 

I don't think we'll see the benefits of full time until after January tbh. I've absolutely no doubt that McGlynn will know where we need to improve, and will have numerous targets in mind and speaking to managers about who we can bring in. At the moment, he's been hamstrung with injuries (and in the case of Murray a really daft suspension), and a squad which he didn't sign (aside from Crane - who had a better performance on Saturday - and Hendry).

We've currently got four players in on loan at the moment, and we'll definitely see the back of one of the keepers (barring another ridiculous goalkeeping injury). It wouldn't surprise me if he ships out any players who don't meet our system, or haven't been performing up to the standard. Unless he picks up substantially, then Lewis Milne meets both of those categories. I'd hope we'll bring in a proper right back with one of the wages being freed up. Our defence has been a problem area, as is our lack of creativity in midfield when Hendry isn't in there. 

I'm confident the full time will start to have an impact over time. For the first half on Saturday, Forfar struggled to match our passing and movement. The issue can be that when playing in this way, we're liable to get players utterly clattered as has happened to Hendry and Vaughan so far this season. But a lot of our fans need to appreciate we're not going to dominate every game, with 75% possession playing freeflowing football. Stark's is horrendous for watching a crowd get on the players backs. There's a guy who sits along from me who'll literally stomp his feet if a cross doesn't beat the first man. As you and 1320Lichtie say, there are really good players at this level (Easton for Forfar is a perfect example) and generally the games are closely fought. 

Is Lewis Milne often played on the wing for you lot?
Quite strange seeing him played as a winger, must admit he look a shadow of his former self when he was with us.
But then again he was hit and miss most games, would do nothing all game then hit a great strike out of nothing and get us a goal.

Hanging on for  what?  we lost 3-2 ! When was the last time you visited civilisation Jackie O”s closed about 10 year ago lol
Sorry to get back so late, internet not so great here in sticks.
Looking at the highlights it could have should have been 6(six) for the loons. You looked a sorry bunch with no idea. Not saying you've been like that all season, maybe just another of day at Stadia de Station.
As for Jakie O's yae I was having a joke. Knew it been crumbed a few year 10 ffs time flies. What's the biggie in toon now?

Archived