Calling Cards of Morons

4 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-64950862

Falsely accuse innocent men of rape, falsely accuse people of trafficking you, hit yourself in the face with a hammer to create injuries......ending up getting jailed for 8.5 years.

All for the pursuit of Social Media reactions.

It's the eyes. You can always tell by the eyes.

On 09/03/2023 at 10:48, Steve_Wilkos said:

Talking about your kids constantly, and steering the topic of any conversation towards them.

No one cares, shut up. 

As a parent, I’m totally on board with this. I still don’t care about my work colleagues kids. 

In fact it’s worse at times because you get railroaded into it via your own child. 

Colleague - “how’s the wee one?”

“Yeah, she’s fine thanks”

”ah, it’s great at that age, I remember when….” 

Check mate. 

"Scottish football should be regionalised"

*reads lengthy explanations of how nobody involves wants it to be, there are no financial savings to be made, and it would still involve clubs travelling comparable distances to play games due to the spread of clubs outside of the central belt*

Six months later: "Scottish football should be regionalised"

^^^ absolutely exclusive to fans of clubs who think they'll never drop out of the Premiership (again)

"What I'm saying isn't remotely controversial" seems to have become a staple recently, and is exclusively used by people fully aware they've just said something outrageous and are trying to head off any criticism by proclaiming that anyone who disagrees is unreasonable.

Down there with "I am a good person" in terms of meaningless phrases parroted by people who've decided their opinions are the only important ones.

On 18/03/2023 at 11:21, BTFD said:

"What I'm saying isn't remotely controversial" seems to have become a staple recently, and is exclusively used by people fully aware they've just said something outrageous and are trying to head off any criticism by proclaiming that anyone who disagrees is unreasonable.

Down there with "I am a good person" in terms of meaningless phrases parroted by people who've decided their opinions are the only important ones.

Also "I'm entitled to my opinion". Of course you are but that doesn't stop your opinion being total b@ll@cks.

On 22/03/2023 at 10:38, Northboy said:

Also "I'm entitled to my opinion". Of course you are but that doesn't stop your opinion being total b@ll@cks.

If someone uses that phrase as an argument in a debate it's an acknowledgement that they've got no cognitive argument to make.  There also seems to be people out there who think being entitled to an opinion means that all opinions are equal when they obviously aren't.

3 hours ago, microdave said:

I once worked with someone who thought opinions can't be wrong.

A couple of years ago I foolishly allowed myself to be drawn into an argument on here with a now thankfully departed poster who insisted that “fact” and “opinion” were synonymous. 

Using an app that simultaneously records the subject and the operator so you can see the operators reactions to what the subject is doing.

Massive huff from the other half when I pointed out it belongs on this thread.

Plus side, I won't be subjected to one of those again.

Fully aware that this also belongs on "infuriating things your partner does" but it seems to be becoming a regular thing these days, akin to "Watch Kamryn's amaaazzzing reaction to Westlife's bland cover version"

5 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

People with absolutely no idea about money management.  Credit cards are not free money.

Some folk genuinely shouldn't be managing their own money. I worked with a (pretty dim) lassie who used to talk about her "friends" at BrightHouse a lot, and really couldn't grasp just how much the electricals she'd got from them were going to cost her. One of our colleagues tried to explain it, but she couldn't accept that they'd have let her buy so much stuff if she wasn't going to be able to afford it, as they were her friends. Depressing.

Some people also have a very low threshold of what a friend is. Most of your work colleagues aren’t real friends. Same with people who serve you in pubs, cafes etc. If you go there regularly you might get to know them a little bit but they’re really barely acquaintances. 

15 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

If someone uses that phrase as an argument in a debate it's an acknowledgement that they've got no cognitive argument to make.  There also seems to be people out there who think being entitled to an opinion means that all opinions are equal when they obviously aren't.

Like your oft shared opinion that Austin Samuels was on strike when in fact he was injured?

8 hours ago, BTFD said:

Some folk genuinely shouldn't be managing their own money. I worked with a (pretty dim) lassie who used to talk about her "friends" at BrightHouse a lot, and really couldn't grasp just how much the electricals she'd got from them were going to cost her. One of our colleagues tried to explain it, but she couldn't accept that they'd have let her buy so much stuff if she wasn't going to be able to afford it, as they were her friends. Depressing.

I still find it bizarre that 'financial management' isn't part of high school curriculum. It's a massive part of life and yet there's nothing given in school about how credit cards/interest rates work. Sadly too many adults haven't a clue how it works (highlighted above) so kids have no chance and the debt cycle will undoubtedly continue - maybe that's why it's not taught in schools. 

Can mind a pal's cousin telling us of all the shite he had bought. I was 17 so he'd have been 18/19. My pal asked how he could afford all that stuff and his response was that it was all on credit card and once he maxed out he'd declare himself bankrupt; "you should do it!". I was only 17 but thankfully knew bankruptcy could f**k things up later on. Quite frightening how he thought this was a great plan though. 

Edited by 19QOS19

21 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I still find it bizarre that 'financial management' isn't part of high school curriculum. It's a massive part of life and yet there's nothing given in school about how credit cards/interest rates work. Sadly too many adults haven't a clue how it works (highlighted above) so kids have no chance and the debt cycle will undoubtedly continue - maybe that's why it's not taught in schools. 

I think there's a wee bit of bringing in real world finance scenarios to Maths papers now, but that's a fundamental issue itself. If you don't have kids who are confident in their arithmetic skill, then you can't demonstrate financial management to them effectively using real world scenarios. You can lecture about it but that's going to work about as well as drug and sex education guidance. 

On 16/03/2023 at 06:37, Dons_1988 said:

As a parent, I’m totally on board with this. I still don’t care about my work colleagues kids. 

In fact it’s worse at times because you get railroaded into it via your own child. 

Colleague - “how’s the wee one?”

“Yeah, she’s fine thanks”

”ah, it’s great at that age, I remember when….” 

Check mate. 

Easy way out. Next time someone asks, just say 'Dunno, we sold her'.

Unlikely to ask again, imo.

I worked with a guy in a previous job who hated discussing his personal life with colleagues, quite reasonably. Once he made a comment along the lines of 'She's with her mum this weekend' when asked about his daughter. He'd meant the mum and daughter were away for a weekend trip somewhere together, but the listener took it as they had split up and the mum had custody of the kid at weekends. Gary quickly realised that word had got round the office that he and his missus had split up and there was a custody battle over the kid!

He simply never corrected this as it meant nobody ever asked him about his family and it was of no consequence what his colleagues thought. I liked him.

Edited by VincentGuerin

1 hour ago, virginton said:

I think there's a wee bit of bringing in real world finance scenarios to Maths papers now, but that's a fundamental issue itself. If you don't have kids who are confident in their arithmetic skill, then you can't demonstrate financial management to them effectively using real world scenarios. You can lecture about it but that's going to work about as well as drug and sex education guidance. 

Can only speak from personal experience here but drug and sex guidance was utterly useless for me at school because it basically amounted to "drugs are bad" and "you should always wear a condom when having sex". I was taught sex education by our techy teacher who was basically just reading from a book, no idea if that's still the case but perhaps having someone who is a bit more dedicated to that specific field may have given better results.