Calling Cards of Morons

31 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I have been to Canada many times and the natives have taken me straight to a British style shop or a British style pub. 

"Look, you get polo mints here or even  Irn Bru".  Never understood that one.

Whilst most of the world go abroad to experience different things, try different foods etc, the classic British trait is to go abroad with the ultimate aim of finding a sunnier version of the UK.  I find it batshit mental that folk would get excited about find Tennents abroad and opting for that in unadventurous fashion over something else on tap they'll never get at home.

2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Whilst most of the world go abroad to experience different things, try different foods etc, the classic British trait is to go abroad with the ultimate aim of finding a sunnier version of the UK.  I find it batshit mental that folk would get excited about find Tennents abroad and opting for that in unadventurous fashion over something else on tap they'll never get at home.

Might have improved by now but when I was in British Colombia many years ago the draft beer was fucking awful, I would have killed for a pint of T.

Reminds of the time someone told me about one of their work colleagues who went to Paris on holiday and went to McDonald’s every day because “they like to know what they’re eating”.

21 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Reminds of the time someone told me about one of their work colleagues who went to Paris on holiday and went to McDonald’s every day because “they like to know what they’re eating”.

giphy.gif.d869e41c257122cefd5cf35a6c3aabfe.gif

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Might have improved by now but when I was in British Colombia many years ago the draft beer was fucking awful, I would have killed for a pint of T.

True (when it comes to North America in general), but at least you tried it and probably appreciate a pint of T that bit better.   Europe on the other hand is a completely different ball game.

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

One time I was in Alabama for two weeks and after a week I got so tired of their melted cheese on everything that I decided I needed something that reminded me of home.

So I went for a curry.  Beef Madras.  Lovely.

4 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Boy at work was telling me once about the ace food he had on his city break in Barcelona.  Best Hard Rock Cafe he's ever been to apparently.  

I was in Antwerp with a mate who was born and bred in Dundee and seldom travels abroad. 

We went into a well known bar that has a beer menu the size of a telephone directory. My mate asked for a pint of lager tops. 

His reasoning was that he hadn't heard of these Belgian beers so they must be shite. 

Another mate of mine went to Berlin on a stag weekend. The group that he was with spent the entire weekend in the Irish pub in the Europa centre watching sky sports. 

I was on a romantic weekend in Paris and we found a decent Chinese restaurant. So we went back a second time because we couldn't be bothered looking for another place.

We did try a French restaurant though.

Folk that sit in the car with the engine idling for no reason.

Exponentially so if they're somewhere nice where people are trying to enjoy the outdoors, like a car park in a scenic spot.

If you were that c**t in Callander tonight, I hope you crashed and died on the way home.

1 hour ago, Paul Kersey said:

His reasoning was that he hadn't heard of these Belgian beers so they must be shite. 

Another mate of mine went to Berlin on a stag weekend. The group that he was with spent the entire weekend in the Irish pub in the Europa centre watching sky sports. 

These are two other calling cards of morons - people who think that if they haven't heard of something or someone then it must be pish and people who go to places and events and do things they could do at home.  I know of someone who went to T In The Park something like seven years running and never saw a single band - spend every time sitting at the tent drinking.  I thought that was absolutely tragic - could've done that in the back garden!

34 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

These are two other calling cards of morons - people who think that if they haven't heard of something or someone then it must be pish and people who go to places and events and do things they could do at home.

I'm the exact opposite.  I was once in a food court in Singapore and one of the stalls was selling Pig's organ soup.  I knew exactly what that would be so I decided to try something else.

11 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I'm the exact opposite.  I was once in a food court in Singapore and one of the stalls was selling Pig's organ soup.  I knew exactly what that would be so I decided to try something else.

Pig organs are lovely, BTW, so I'd have been all over that.

Unless it's a soup made from THAT pig organ, in which case...no, I'd give it a go. They're remarkably tasty animals.

9 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

These are two other calling cards of morons - people who think that if they haven't heard of something or someone then it must be pish and people who go to places and events and do things they could do at home.  I know of someone who went to T In The Park something like seven years running and never saw a single band - spend every time sitting at the tent drinking.  I thought that was absolutely tragic - could've done that in the back garden!

I know folk like that.  This is an actual conversation I had with someone a few years back - 

'How was T in the Park mate?  Who did you get to see?'

'Ach only Kasabian mate, was just getting a smoke the rest of the time'

Edit - May have been the same person you're talking about!

Edited by TheScarf

15 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

This reminds me of the Brit couple that gave a bad review to an Asian hotel because they didn’t have any British food like custard creams.

I've said this on here before, but back in my days in travel, I had someone come home & complain about the food in the hotel they'd been at.

Apparently "they didn't have enough British options, like pasta or curry".

18 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

I've said this on here before, but back in my days in travel, I had someone come home & complain about the food in the hotel they'd been at.

Apparently "they didn't have enough British options, like pasta or curry".

i remember years ago we hired a car on the costa del sol, there are a few english speaking radio stations down there for the expats with one advertising an indian restaurant encouraging guests to come for "a good old english curry" it's probably slightly tongue in cheek  but they know their audience well i suppose

On 01/08/2021 at 23:34, Highland Capital said:

I wondred how much money you could make just hiring out a farmers field and selling tickets to a "camping festival" basically the T in the park campsite with no bands.  no need to hire expensive bands and equipment, just charge c***s to come and get wrecked in a field. i think ther'd be more than enough takers

On 31/07/2021 at 14:41, 19QOS19 said:

Never understand this view. It seems quite a popular one on PnB that grown men buying football jerseys is just wrong. A particularly bizarre view given it's smaller side fans who think this way. Ask your clubs what they think of this view and I'd guess they totally disagree. For wee sides like ours selling replica shirts will be a big slice of income. I try and buy a jersey each season even if I rarely wear it.

As for wearing football tops abroad, I absolutely love seeing folk wearing tops that aren't the usual suspects - OF, Man Utd, Liverpool et al. Love seeing someone wearing a lower league Scottish football team top and it usually draws me in to have a conversation with them as I know we could discuss football at a decent level not the usual "You're a Queens fan? Queens are shite!" type nonsense that you tend to get from OF fans.

And on the flipside my judgemental instinct kicks in if I see an OF jersey abroad and tend to sway away from folk wearing them.

Fitba taps abroad - I'm all for it.

calling card of moron ,   using your support of a diddy club as a badge of honour, i include falkirk in that of course