Calling Cards of Morons

On 26/07/2021 at 14:40, milton75 said:

On a similar note, I very much imagine this has come up in this thread before, but people who were a football top to go on holiday are absolute imbeciles.

EDIT: or to go to social events, a court appearance, etc.

Football shirts are bad enough but wearing a kilt on holiday is the epitome of moronic desperation, particularly if it is coupled with an expectation that Johnny Foreigner is supposed to give them a reacharound because they're not English.

10 hours ago, Paul Kersey said:

Football shirts are bad enough but wearing a kilt on holiday is the epitome of moronic desperation, particularly if it is coupled with an expectation that Johnny Foreigner is supposed to give them a reacharound because they're not English.

It’s even more moronic when it’s something like a fucking Carlisle United or a Barnsley shirt who Johnny Foreigner will never have even head of.

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

It’s even more moronic when it’s something like a fucking Carlisle United or a Barnsley shirt who Johnny Foreigner will never have even head of.

Very true, but my point was aimed more at Scottish people who go abroad and then expect a biscuit when they tell somebody that they're not English.

On a similar note, I very much imagine this has come up in this thread before, but people who were a football top to go on holiday are absolute imbeciles.

EDIT: or to go to social events, a court appearance, etc.

Never understand this view. It seems quite a popular one on PnB that grown men buying football jerseys is just wrong. A particularly bizarre view given it's smaller side fans who think this way. Ask your clubs what they think of this view and I'd guess they totally disagree. For wee sides like ours selling replica shirts will be a big slice of income. I try and buy a jersey each season even if I rarely wear it.

As for wearing football tops abroad, I absolutely love seeing folk wearing tops that aren't the usual suspects - OF, Man Utd, Liverpool et al. Love seeing someone wearing a lower league Scottish football team top and it usually draws me in to have a conversation with them as I know we could discuss football at a decent level not the usual "You're a Queens fan? Queens are shite!" type nonsense that you tend to get from OF fans.

And on the flipside my judgemental instinct kicks in if I see an OF jersey abroad and tend to sway away from folk wearing them.

Fitba taps abroad - I'm all for it.

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Never understand this view. It seems quite a popular one on PnB that grown men buying football jerseys is just wrong. A particularly bizarre view given it's smaller side fans who think this way. Ask your clubs what they think of this view and I'd guess they totally disagree. For wee sides like ours selling replica shirts will be a big slice of income. I try and buy a jersey each season even if I rarely wear it.

As for wearing football tops abroad, I absolutely love seeing folk wearing tops that aren't the usual suspects - OF, Man Utd, Liverpool et al. Love seeing someone wearing a lower league Scottish football team top and it usually draws me in to have a conversation with them as I know we could discuss football at a decent level not the usual "You're a Queens fan? Queens are shite!" type nonsense that you tend to get from OF fans.

And on the flipside my judgemental instinct kicks in if I see an OF jersey abroad and tend to sway away from folk wearing them.

It's undeniably handy that certain football teams fans tend to reveal themselves from a sufficient distance as to efficiently avoid them

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I bought a Montrose shirt last year for the first time since I was about 14, simply as a way to donate money to the club during the pandemic. 

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

You've been watching too much television.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Not keen on the scratchy nylon they make them out of. If they made them in cotton, even better cashmere, I'd be well into spreading the Clachnacuddin brand around Mediterranean shores. 

I own football tops and I sometimes wear the ones with collars under a jumper but I consciously don't wear them out and about or take them on holiday. I dunno maybe I'm just insecure or something but I do find it a bit cringey but not as bad as it's made out to be. Might be okay with it if I supported a diddy club.

For the people that think it's abhorrent behaviour, are grown men allowed to escape such judgments when wearing football tops at their teams football games?

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

While I agree with all of this, I must say that most folk I've encountered abroad wearing Scottish football tops (except on football duty) have been roasters.

19 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Fair points, but I think it will be difficult for me to administer the difference between what teams' tops people are and aren't allowed to wear in my New Order. So I'll probably still have to ban it, simply to avoid that embarrassment when one sees grown men leading their families through to Departures in an OF top.

That said, I've seen court drawings of idiots who thought it was appropriate attire to wear to their hearing, so I guess wearing suchlike for travel is comparatively sensible.

On 30/07/2021 at 21:53, Paul Kersey said:

I knew someone who normally would never consider wearing a kilt ("the modern kilt was invented in Lancashire," he would say) .

However he did wear one while hitchhiking around Europe.  He said it worked fine.

I also know someone who was thrown out of Disneyland because he was wearing a kilt.  "We're the attraction - not you". 

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

I knew someone who normally would never consider wearing a kilt ("the modern kilt was invented in Lancashire," he would say) .

However he did wear one while hitchhiking around Europe.  He said it worked fine.

I also know someone who was thrown out of Disneyland because he was wearing a kilt.  "We're the attraction - not you". 

That was him Donald Ducked, the Goofy arsehole.

To be fair he was running about lifting it up shouting "what's the difference between me and Walt? I've got a big willy and Walt disnae"

3 hours ago, milton75 said:

So I'll probably still have to ban it, simply to avoid that embarrassment when one sees grown men leading their families through to Departures in an OF top.

When you see them, you just know these guys are going to get off the plane at the other side and lead their brood straight to the resorts Ibrox/Paradise Bar (delete as applicable), where they will remain for 90% of their holiday. They are almost always insufferable arseholes around the pool etc if you're unfortunate enough to wind up with them in your hotel.

Fitba taps - each to their own, but going on holiday to spend your whole time in a pub which is a carbon copy of where you go at home is more of a CCoM imo. Santa Ponsa is a great example of this. Round the bay there are some nice beaches, good pubs and cracking restaurants, but the vast majority of people from the West of Scotland who go there spend their time exclusively in the Irish bars on the strip, wearing Celtic regalia and singing 'the rebs'. Mental.

While grown adults wearing football tops as casual wear (why would you want to?!) are best avoided at the best of times, I find just avoiding British people and places British people usually frequent abroad is a far better tactic. 

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

While grown adults wearing football tops as casual wear (why would you want to?!) are best avoided at the best of times, I find just avoiding British people and places British people usually frequent abroad is a far better tactic. 

I have been to Canada many times and the natives have taken me straight to a British style shop or a British style pub. 

"Look, you get polo mints here or even  Irn Bru".  Never understood that one.