Calling Cards of Morons

My theory is that you chose what drink you order depending on the circumstances such as time of day, company and mood and its a combination of these, rather than the resultant drink which creates the effect.

For example someone might act more of an arse on vodka, but only because he always drinks vodka on pay day when he goes around thinking he's the big man anyway. Or someone might mainly drink gin with their family, when you're prone to getting a bit weepy to begin with.

The beer/spirits thing is probably the above as well as a rate of consumption issue combined with people snacking less on spirits than they do on beer.

I don't buy the old wives takes about whisky making you aggressive or gin depressed, but Buckfast does seem to be a personality changer.

That doesn't lessen the fact that violent arseholes drink it, but I've seen enough out of character behaviour on it to believe my assertion. (No, not just me)

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I don't buy the old wives takes about whisky making you aggressive or gin depressed, but Buckfast does seem to be a personality changer.

That doesn't lessen the fact that violent arseholes drink it, but I've seen enough out of character behaviour on it to believe my assertion. (No, not just me)

Buckfast is also packed with caffeine.

6 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Buckfast is also packed with caffeine.

Was about to say the same, it's a higher content than red bull,   also if we drank caffeine in the same cultural way that we drink alcohol then it would be coffee shops that would have to be licensed with bouncers on the door and ID checks, great in moderation but if we were all heading down to weatherbucks to tan  6 or 7 double espressos before the fitbaw then there would be just as much if not more bother/ rowdiness as there is with folk drinking alcohol.

I'd add Newcastle Brown to that - Mrs WRK used to moan at me for drinking it because of my arsiness. I reckoned it was a vicious circle of me reacting to her complaining, therefore justifying her complaining, leading to me becoming more entrenched in my favoured drink. Then, in my late twenties, I experienced a couple of total black-outs after drinking a not-too-huge amount of the stuff. Literally, about five, maybe six (500ml) bottles over a daytime/evening session. Well within my limits at the time, but there are parts of those weekends which I never, ever got back into the memory.

Regarding the "I'm fine with beer but not with the spirits later" bit, it couldn't possibly be because when people move onto spirits from beer that they've consumed more alcohol than the 0 units when they started on the beer, could it?  :rolleyes:

Edited by Hedgecutter

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Regarding the beer v spirits bit, it couldn't possibly be because when people move onto spirits from beer that they've consumed more alcohol than when they started on the beer, could it?

or even because it's easier to neck a double spirit and mixer ( assuming you like the taste of it) faster than you could drink a pint , roughly same alcohol content

Usually people who drink Buckfast are raging arseholes before and after drinking it

14 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I'd add Newcastle Brown to that - Mrs WRK used to moan at me for drinking it because of my arsiness. I reckoned it was a vicious circle of me reacting to her complaining, therefore justifying her complaining, leading to me becoming more entrenched in my favoured drink. Then, in my late twenties, I experienced a couple of total black-outs after drinking a not-too-huge amount of the stuff. Literally, about five, maybe six (500ml) bottles over a daytime/evening session. Well within my limits at the time, but there are parts of those weekends which I never, ever got back into the memory.

I remember this on the Newky Broon. My pals told me to stop drinking it as I was such a dick after a few pints. Usually ended up spewing my ring after it too. Could remember hee haw about it too.

This never happened with lager or heavy. I'm a really happy drinker on that.

I tend not to drink much wine for the same reason. 

Regarding the "I'm fine with beer but not with the spirits later" bit, it couldn't possibly be because when people move onto spirits from beer that they've consumed more alcohol than the 0 units when they started on the beer, could it?  :rolleyes:
Not for me. Beer then spirits is largely ok, until I go the standard "too far".

The spirits thing for me is when you get drunk on spirits alone, from the start. It's different. And not in a good way

FWIW, I wouldn't consider myself to be a lightweight by any means (far from it), but one of the worst hangovers I've ever had was after an evening out on which I only had two pints of Staropramen (because I was heading to Stranraer in the morning on the first train or something).  Had to get off the bus into town early for a spew. Not a clue what happened with that one. 

36 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

FWIW, I wouldn't consider myself to be a lightweight by any means (far from it), but one of the worst hangovers I've ever had was after an evening out on which I only had two pints of Staropramen (because I was heading to Stranraer in the morning on the first train or something).  Had to get off the bus into town early for a spew. Not a clue what happened with that one. 

Wow. Back in the day, we used to pal around with another couple and have a fair few fairly heavy sessions on whatever BoozeBusters had on offer that week (Efes, Strongbow Ice, Amstel, etc.) and the pair of them were always pissed off because I never, ever got a hangover. Then we discovered Staropramen. Lovely beer, but I thought I was dying for the next day and a half. Czech twats.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

It’s the drink of choice for arts students these days but I’m not surprised that Dumfries is still stuck with the stereotypes of 2006

"puddle drinkers", "arts students". Potato, potato.

Without the ability to determine pronunciations here, I'm assuming you're some sort of Keith Lemon character who likes repeating the word 'potato'. 

Edited by Hedgecutter

31 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Without the ability to determine pronunciations here, I'm assuming you're some sort of Keith Lemon character who likes repeating the word 'potato'. 

I thought he was impersonating a Harley Davidson. 

Anyway, I had always believed that alcohol exaggerated / released whatever emotions were in there to begin with. If you're naturally a happy person, alcohol will make you even more outgoing and cheerful. If you're already feeling sorry for yourself, it'll make you weepy and if you're a fighty twat, even if that's normally buried deep down, it'll make you want to batter anyone who looks at you funny.

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Iv always considered spirits to do that, from the legs up thing. Where you think you are ok, then it hits the stem of your brain and you lose all motor functions out of nowhere

I can agree with that, you usually drink them faster too.

3 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Was about to say the same, it's a higher content than red bull,   also if we drank caffeine in the same cultural way that we drink alcohol then it would be coffee shops that would have to be licensed with bouncers on the door and ID checks, great in moderation but if we were all heading down to weatherbucks to tan  6 or 7 double espressos before the fitbaw then there would be just as much if not more bother/ rowdiness as there is with folk drinking alcohol.

I'd like to see this experiment.