Calling Cards of Morons

On 23/06/2020 at 12:55, KingRocketman II said:

I'm a pescatarian and go though various dry periods solely for health/fitness purposes (as have a tendency to get into a routine of drinking every day and not understanding why I don't see any benefits in terms of toning/fitness from training every day). I think I can see from both sides  and whereas you get some "I love meat/booze and if you don't you're a weirdo" (said in a Yorkshire equivalent "I speak my mind......" tone), at the same time you get some absolutely insufferable vegan/vegetarians/tee-totallers who see this choice as an extension of their personality and wear it very loudly and proudly on their sleeves. So, my unique earth shattering insight is that there are arseholes on both sides. 

In saying that, until a few years ago, every person who didn't have a TV and therefore didn't watch TV would manage to inform you of this within the first 5 mins of meeting you. It has now lost its effect given loads of people forgo TV in order to stream things on their laptops, and I wonder what the old TV-less punters now do in an attempt to sell themselves as someone unique. 

Two cheeks of the same arse? (Albeit, one might be a healthier cheek than the other.)

11 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Are really into the Joe Rogan podcast.

He’s a guy who openly encourages these carnivore diets that clog your arteries and give you all forms of cancer. He always has this guy on who’s advocates it and he looks and sounds as if he’s about to die.

He’s a genuinely atrocious gimp.

I made a 'round slice' roll and decided to fry, rather than grill the lorne. I don't know whether it was due to how thick it was but the outside was overdone and the middle was fucking red raw. I've had to bin the lot and anticipate a dose of the shits later. :(

Edited by Mr. Alli

4 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I made a 'round slice' roll and decided to fry, rather than grill the lorne. I don't know whether it was due to how thick it was but the outside was overdone and the middle was fucking red raw. I've had to bin the lot and anticipate a dose of the shits later. :(

After a few incidents like this, I would start the lorne/slice* in a cold pan and let it heat with the pan rather than trying to put it into an already hot pan. It was reasonably successful.

*delete dependent on your OFTW level

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

After a few incidents like this, I would start the lorne/slice* in a cold pan and let it heat with the pan rather than trying to put it into an already hot pan. It was reasonably successful.

Slice usually releases enough grease into the pan to keep it and any other fry up ingredients ticking along as well. Starting them with a high heat and then reducing the heat once the grease starts to render is the best way to do it IMO.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

Slice usually releases enough grease into the pan to keep it and any other fry up ingredients ticking along as well. Starting them with a high heat and then reducing the heat once the grease starts to render is the best way to do it IMO.

Based on cooking other meats, duck being the one that springs to mind, I think you start cold to render out then gradually heat.

Either way is fine but the mark of the aficionado is to correctly order the cooking so as to create, then absorb that fat. Black pudding, tattie scone after it. Bacon/sausage, egg after it.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

I meant starting in a cold pan but over a high heat, to be clear about that.

Yip, as Bairnardo says, treat it like a duck breast and you won't be far off.

Experience with the product is key too, as I've found there is significantly more fat released from the James Allan (Hyndland) lorne/slice than there is from the equivalent from Rodgers on Byres Road. Both equally delicious, but requiring slightly different treatment.

Months ago I applied for a job in Dundee and my application was removed as I missed a part of the online assessment out. Last week I applied for the same job in Perth and I've just had an email saying my application has had to be removed due to failing to complete part of the assessment in the allocated 5 days. 

Less moron, more p***k. 

Months ago I applied for a job in Dundee and my application was removed as I missed a part of the online assessment out. Last week I applied for the same job in Perth and I've just had an email saying my application has had to be removed due to failing to complete part of the assessment in the allocated 5 days. 
Less moron, more p***k. 
I used to process applications for positions on public bodies. I'd often receive one, past the closing date, missing one of the sections and with that day's date instead of the applicant's date of birth.
Of course my boss ("top brass" in Record speak) would nevertheless accept it with amendments as they were usually a QC or something and punted the blame onto their poor secretary.

My favourite pastime in that job was telling anyone who gave their address as "The Hawthorns" or some such nonsense that I needed a house number as it was a drop down box on the database. Eventually they'd acquiesce and admit they lived at number eighteen although one chap wonderfully blustered "Eh, no, no, it should be there, it's a BIG house!". I checked on Google Maps, it was a terrace in Alloa.

On 28/06/2020 at 11:21, TheScarf said:

He’s a guy who openly encourages these carnivore diets that clog your arteries and give you all forms of cancer. He always has this guy on who’s advocates it and he looks and sounds as if he’s about to die.

He’s a genuinely atrocious gimp.

I'm not really interested in his whole hunting, fishing, meat-eating, drug taking malarkey but I don't like the way he seems to give a huge amount of publicity to far right wingers.  He seems very close with the likes of Ben Shapiro, Alex Jones, Gavin McInnes etc.  It's not the type of company I'd want to keep nor the type of people I'd want to promote.

Edited by Highland Capital

I pick and choose the occasional rogan interview when in the gym. The Edward Snowden, David Goggins and the science based ones are decent.

Anything that involves rogan asking questions are a bit shit though, I do find some of his guests better than the bland celebs you get on tv shows tbh.

This one was good, a millionaire invited a navy seal to train him for a month. I don’t pay any attention to what rogan says tbh.

Let me clarify to say, I have listened to quite a few episodes of Joe Rogan's podcast and some of the guests and the discussions can be quite interesting.  For some reason though he seems to have attract a certain type of crowd.  From what I can see, his fanbase seems to be almost exclusively younger white males, who are fairly sharply dressed with a sharp haircut, who have pro-Trump, pro-Brexit and far right politics and constantly describe themselves as "libertarians".

Edited by Highland Capital

19 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

A good rule of thumb is to moderate your intake of anything only men like.

You posted the screenshot of the guy tweeting that last week and I thought it was a bit silly at the time and still do.

2 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Oh shit did I? I'm getting doddery in my old age.

No it's good advice.

I can't really think of anything that's liked exclusively by men, including Joe Rogan which the guy in the tweet was referring to. If he's talking about things that are liked predominantly by men then that would apply to most, if not all of us on this site and our love of Scottish football. 

Hold on, he could be onto something there...