Calling Cards of Morons

1 hour ago, ManBearPig said:

Usually the same people will whine about how: "There's nothing to do in town anymore. Shame everything's boarded up."

Aye, local newspaper social media comments are usually full of keyboard warriors declaring that “insert provincial town” needs more shops. 
the shops are gone because nobody was using them, if there was a desire for them then they’d be back

crossing multiple threads here but there are a number of YouTube creaters calling for “ walkability “ in towns and cities, usually citing how European cities are pedestrian friendly but North American ones are car centric.

it seems in the UK we have the worst of both worlds, we’ve got plenty of well pedestrianised town centres lieing semi derelict and neglected  whilst having retail parks and out of town shopping centres doing a decent trade.

looks to me like there is no going back, people liked walking the high vibrant high street until something else came along. European cities must be far more closely managed than UK ones for them to still be doing ok.Once you give people the option to drive everywhere then that’s what they’ll do.

same goes for online. People just naturally choose convenience every time.

on the covid thread many of us wondered why so much of the population were in support or at least not arsed about lengthy lockdowns. answer , you don’t need to leave your house for anything anymore! It’s actually quite depressing 

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd

it seems in the UK we have the worst of both worlds, we’ve got plenty of well pedestrianised town centres lieing semi derelict and neglected  whilst having retail parks and out of town shopping centres doing a decent trade.

European cities must be far more closely managed than UK ones for them to still be doing ok.

I don't think a great many of them are really doing any better than us. Same problems all over the continent.

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

100% correct. I was in Falkirk at the weekend looking for a sybian and couldn't find a shop that sold one anywhere. If we all bought more locally this kind of thing wouldn't happen. 

Isn't a Syrian a massive dirty sex machine?

Tonight I've found out my mates pub has seen his leccy and gas go from £500 a month to £1200 

Price is certainly a factor in the death of the high st, major retailers moving to online in addition to new purely online options. 
However, there’s certainly a snobbery involved in using “brands” it’s certainly not scientific but where I live, theres always been a great number of what you’d term “decent cafe’s”  three of which would grind beans in-house. In the last few years  Costa opened & very recently Starbucks have opened, the amount of wanks & wankesses cutting about with both major brand cups is unreal. Two of the decent local cafes are struggling, but the same people using multinational products will complain about the death of the high st. Hopefully Costa & Starbucks  bubble bursts & we get DPD delivered coffee straight from Amazon! 

Price is certainly a factor in the death of the high st, major retailers moving to online in addition to new purely online options. 
However, there’s certainly a snobbery involved in using “brands” it’s certainly not scientific but where I live, theres always been a great number of what you’d term “decent cafe’s”  three of which would grind beans in-house. In the last few years  Costa opened & very recently Starbucks have opened, the amount of wanks & wankesses cutting about with both major brand cups is unreal. Two of the decent local cafes are struggling, but the same people using multinational products will complain about the death of the high st. Hopefully Costa & Starbucks  bubble bursts & we get DPD delivered coffee straight from Amazon! 
Costa's coffee is absolutely bogging as well. I do enjoy their lattes but that's obviously predominantly milk. I generally take my coffee black now and it's really bad. If I'm in Glasgow I'll go to Gordon St Coffee every time. Far nicer and less expensive into the bargain. I'd always pick an independent over a chain when it comes to coffee tbh.

8 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

Kinda circling back to my original point 

large companies use their clout to artificially undercut the competition, big chains use their clout to get favourable deals with suppliers, hauliers and the authorities ( eg getting planning permission to change a retail shop to food and drink outlet isn’t easy for an independent with limited resources)

amazon do the same with retail, not to mention bare minimum to downright shady labour practices 

uber do it with taxis 

spotify with music And so on

Alot of people just assume that the price they see in those places is the natural one and anyone charging more is just profiteering, not realising how anyone outside of the bog boys is completely up against it.

if you can’t afford it fair enough but like you say them that turn there nose up in favour of big chains really can’t be complaining about empty town centres.

Inverness centre is getting swamped by barbers, beauticians/tanning salons and inhouse coffee roasting cafes at the moment. There are loads more parking restrictions as well, so while big shopping goes online or out of town, personal service is the new centre. I still prefer trying on shoes and clothes before I buy them, so glad to see there are still plenty of them around, just waiting for a multiplex to move back into somewhere like the empty Debenhams, nothing more soul destroying than leaving the cinema with only a Frankies and Bennies or some corporate shithole to have a pint in.

Tonight I've found out my mates pub has seen his leccy and gas go from £500 a month to £1200 
My work's gas bill for this year is £600,000. They've been advised to expect £2.1 million next year.
Costa's coffee is absolutely bogging as well. I do enjoy their lattes but that's obviously predominantly milk. I generally take my coffee black now and it's really bad. If I'm in Glasgow I'll go to Gordon St Coffee every time. Far nicer and less expensive into the bargain. I'd always pick an independent over a chain when it comes to coffee tbh.
The chain coffee business model involves cheap, shitey coffee who's taste is masked with cheap sugary additions. It's like drowning some generic three year old blend with cola.

36 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Kinda circling back to my original point 

large companies use their clout to artificially undercut the competition, big chains use their clout to get favourable deals with suppliers, hauliers and the authorities ( eg getting planning permission to change a retail shop to food and drink outlet isn’t easy for an independent with limited resources)

amazon do the same with retail, not to mention bare minimum to downright shady labour practices 

uber do it with taxis 

spotify with music And so on

Alot of people just assume that the price they see in those places is the natural one and anyone charging more is just profiteering, not realising how anyone outside of the bog boys is completely up against it.

if you can’t afford it fair enough but like you say them that turn there nose up in favour of big chains really can’t be complaining about empty town centres.

The coffee multinationals are considerably more expensive than local business in my experience. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

Nope, try again…

15 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Obviously not Syrian. Turns out it's a symbian I have perhaps watched be ridden. 

Nope, but closer, try again…

3 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Girl in work today showed me videos from the weekend when she went to see the Wolfe Tones

Hamilton Accies ~ Plastic Pitch Kings VS Sheep - Page 2 - Domestic Cup  Football - Pie & Bovril

These people walk among us.

They were playing in a social club near me the other night, and the cringe levels at all the identikit videos floating around Facebook was off the chart. At least 80% of the audience decked out in Celtic gear with tables full of green cocktails and bottles of Buckfast, revelling in an evening of unadulterated bigotry, sectarianism and terrorist group glorification. Scotland will never be rid of this shite (on both sides), sadly.

4 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

My work's gas bill for this year is £600,000. They've been advised to expect £2.1 million next year. The chain coffee business model involves cheap, shitey coffee who's taste is masked with cheap sugary additions. It's like drowning some generic three year old blend with cola.

On the coffee chat, I've just returned from Jamaica with a bag of Blue Mountain beans which I was assured are the freshest I could possibly have and will be worth every penny. The stuff i drank whilst there was fantastic so hope I'm not disappointed with my home ground efforts.

19 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

my parents in their 60s simply can’t understand the proliferation of coffee shops in modern times, it’s just alien to then that people would go out to town for tea and coffee yet drink alcohol at home, as far ad they’re concerned it’s just the wrong way round 

They probably have a point though.  And no, I'm not in my 60s!