Calling Cards of Morons

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

If we're going to add the tip by card we always ask the waiter/waitress if they'll actually get the tip if we add it by card.  Don't recall any of them ever saying no.

Let's not get sidetracked here - we're discussing the uncoolness of splitting bills. 

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

If we're going to add the tip by card we always ask the waiter/waitress if they'll actually get the tip if we add it by card.  Don't recall any of them ever saying no.

Don't doubt it. I worked in a hotel though and sadly (for me) was that tips by credit card or room charge were split between all of the employees in their December payslip. Total shan. If you don't work in hospitality, why should you get a tip for the service there? 

30 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm not sure it'll be all that difficult tbh. The system will have everyone's order on their screen and just deduct it from the total bill. I've never worked behind a bar/restaurant but I'd imagine it's a case of clicking on what the person says they ordered and the machine will tally it up to be paid and leave what's left.

I expect the process is quicker than the paragraph I just wrote.

Probably quicker than a group of folk faffing about with cash then having to wait on the server to return with change. 

23 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Was out for dinner on Saturday night with Ruggy. Table of ten beside us, 5 couples celebrating a birthday.

At the end of the meal when the bill came one of the females refused to split it 5 ways and made each couple get their phone calculator out and work out how much they should pay. All couples went on to pay separately by card.

Fucking horrible behaviour. Wish the restaurant owner told them to f**k off.

Aye, should have had 10 separate payments...

14 hours ago, Left Back said:

You should be on a list somewhere,  while your benevolence might be viewed as admirable there will be people that know you do this and make a mug of you while you subsidise them.

I’m firmly in the camp of split the bill evenly and move on.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.  If you don’t think about it you don’t worry about it.  f**k working out individual bills.

It's a while since we were out en famille, and there would have been 19 of us spread over 4 families, from 2 years of age to 60+, from drinkers to non drinkers. I would have been happy splitting the bill, but everyone else wanted to pay their own. Once all the money was gathered up, and I paid, inevitably I was more out of pocket than if we had split it evenly!

5 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

It's a while since we were out en famille, and there would have been 19 of us spread over 4 families, from 2 years of age to 60+, from drinkers to non drinkers. I would have been happy splitting the bill, but everyone else wanted to pay their own. Once all the money was gathered up, and I paid, inevitably I was more out of pocket than if we had split it evenly!

image.jpeg.d37fa2f8b46f6bc5b52ddb892065db04.jpeg

Alternatively, take cash and none of the above is required. 
Probably quicker than a group of folk faffing about with cash then having to wait on the server to return with change. 
This.

The above (in my post) would still have to happen but rather than faffing about with coins and shrapnel, you just tap your card.

There are probably pros for carrying cash but I don't think this scenario lends itself to the 'Cash over Card' argument.

8 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

This.

The above (in my post) would still have to happen but rather than faffing about with coins and shrapnel, you just tap your card.

There are probably pros for carrying cash but I don't think this scenario lends itself to the 'Cash over Card' argument.

All of these hypotheticals are sort of skirting around the subject that folk should really just be organised for the situation they are going to find themselves in, which is really easy to do. An organised, lots of couples together meal is something that you would know you were going to, and cash is the easiest option in that scenario. 

All of these hypotheticals are sort of skirting around the subject that folk should really just be organised for the situation they are going to find themselves in, which is really easy to do. An organised, lots of couples together meal is something that you would know you were going to, and cash is the easiest option in that scenario. 
If you're splitting the bill. If you're paying for your own then card is surely easier.

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
28 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

If you're splitting the bill. If you're paying for your own then card is surely easier.

If you're paying for your own then aye I suppose it is. I wouldnt go out for dinner with folk I wasn't prepared to a) trust not to rip the pish themselves/think I was ripping the pish and b) spring a wee bit more for on the basis that these things even out over a season, so i've never considered asking for seperate bills

Edited by Bairnardo

10 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
29 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

If you're paying your own then just bung your share in the middle of the table and the waiter's only got one bill to settle. Change is the tip.

Aye, now that life gets in the way of meeting some of my pals we try and meet up once every couple of months for a meal and a few beers. We generally just split the bill between us and all pay our share by card quickly and easily. Alternatively 1 person pays and everyone transfers it on their internet banking there and then. f**k tallying up what everyone ate/drank though. 

4 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Depends on the system of course, but when I was waiting tables during uni it was simple enough to split the bill. 

Actually splitting the bill, so for 10 covers producing 10 separate bills is a pain in the hole. I had to do this for corporate guests so they could charge their own expenses. Not so bad if they were staying overnight as I'd just sort it out at the end and stick it on their rooms. But to ask to do it and pay separately at the time was and still is a hanging offence. As with most things if you ask the staff nicely beforehand and let them know you want to be a pain in the arse, it makes stuff easier. 

But just paying what you owe and working out the maths with the assistance of your friendly waiter, is really not the end of the world. 

Also thank christ I don't do any of that shit anymore. 

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Don't doubt it. I worked in a hotel though and sadly (for me) was that tips by credit card or room charge were split between all of the employees in their December payslip. Total shan. If you don't work in hospitality, why should you get a tip for the service there? 

Aye, someone who worked in a Wetherspoon once told me not to leave a tip, as they were all collected and split between staff at the end of the year as a "Christmas bonus". That's one way of trying to retain staff, I suppose.

Last time I was in one, I noticed that they've been putting out propaganda on the tables about how they're good guys really and everyone's been really unfair  :lol:

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

Aye, someone who worked in a Wetherspoon once told me not to leave a tip, as they were all collected and split between staff at the end of the year as a "Christmas bonus". That's one way of trying to retain staff, I suppose.

Last time I was in one, I noticed that they've been putting out propaganda on the tables about how they're good guys really and everyone's been really unfair  :lol:

They've been doing that years. Amusing crybaby pish. They also have a wee magazine featuring loads of nonsense including a letters page, and I'm convinced at least half are written by the head arsehole.