Calling Cards of Morons

29 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It might be used too often but it doesn't mean every time it is said that the person must be a moron. It's quite obvious that players, and teams of players, have either stopped caring or believing in what the manager says and their performance levels drop with it. I mean you can't tell me that the Morton side that shipped 10 to Hamilton hadn't absolutely thrown the towel in? That's just the most blatant one I can think of but there will be numerous good examples of teams chucking it under certain gaffers. 

As I said, on occasion it's probably true, but the vast majority of the time it's used it's nonsense.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I still don't get how so many fans don't understand what a big role confidence plays either. It's massive and very discernable, yet braindead cavemen will cry about it and claim it's a lack of effort or say players need to 'man up'

Don't know if it's ever been double blind tested, but I'm sure screaming how shite they are at players having a drop in form helps get their confidence back..

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Don't know if it's ever been double blind tested, but I'm sure screaming how shite they are at players having a drop in form helps get their confidence back..

I demand a study!

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I'm sure I've said this before, but claiming a lack of effort and/or passion when a team isn’t doing well or has a pish result.

The Pars were abysmal last season, but I didn't see a lack of effort from a single player.

It's just an easy, stupid thing to claim. On a rare occasion it's probably true of an individual player, but to claim the entire team haven't tried hard enough is utter pish.

I still don't get how so many fans don't understand what a big role confidence plays either. It's massive and very discernable, yet braindead cavemen will cry about it and claim it's a lack of effort or say players need to 'man up'

have always thought this. I mean, aye, we didn’t play well but how how realistic is it that the team weren’t actually trying. Nonsense.

9 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I'm sure I've said this before, but claiming a lack of effort and/or passion when a team isn’t doing well or has a pish result.

The Pars were abysmal last season, but I didn't see a lack of effort from a single player.

It's just an easy, stupid thing to claim. On a rare occasion it's probably true of an individual player, but to claim the entire team haven't tried hard enough is utter pish.

Also, a lot of the time, the players just aren’t good enough. Football fans often think their own players are a lot better than they are. 

Just now, TheScarf said:

Also, a lot of the time, the players just aren’t good enough. Football fans often think their own players are a lot better than they are. 

Last seasons Falkirk team dismantle the effort argument. 

For example, Dunfermline were favourites for the title last season on here, but they had Todorov, O’Hara and Wighton as their strikers. To fans of all other clubs in the league, they’re 3 bog standard Championship level strikers, but lots of Pars fans had them as having the league sewn up by Christmas with them up front. 

I'll be honest here, with the, I think its fair to say fairly recent shift of power towards players and agents in terms of getting what they want, including getting managers punted, and too many examples ot mention of teams having a dramatic upturn in form after a manger gets hunted, I think you have to be blind not to see examples of individuals and teams dropping the effort levels

14 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Dunfermline employed Yogi Hughes to get them out of the shit, a miracle he failed to perform at Hartlepool and Raith Rovers, I wonder what the real problem is here?

Folk who seem to think because a manager wins a cup or a league he's automatically better than another manager who didn't.  There's good managers who won very little and bad managers who've won cups.

I think it was Marvin Bartley on A View From The Terrace who hinted that Alan Stubbs wasn't a very good manager but had a good squad who pulled together.

Edited by Highland Capital

14 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

England fans used to be atrocious for this. Any time they didn't batter the opposition, it was because the players just didn't care enough and needed more "passion". No doubt it'll return as soon as their good run comes to an end.

Unfortunately, that's been seeping into the Scotland threads in recent years, ironically as we've started doing slightly better.

Reminds me of a caller on TalkSport after England got thumped by Germany in the 2010 World Cup (the one with the Lampard ghost goal). She phoned in saying the players weren’t trying hard enough and - and I quote - “at the end of the game they should be being physically sick!”

3 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Folk who seem to think because a manager wins a cup or a league he's automatically better than another manager who didn't.  There's good managers who won very little and bad managers who've won cups.

I think it was Marvin Andrews on A View From The Terrace who hinted that Alan Stubbs wasn't a very good manager but had a good squad who pulled together.

I thought it was quite obvious Alan Stubbs was a terrible manager and only hibs fans (somewhat understandably) protest it. 

Bound to have been mentioned in relation to the golf ....but shouting out something inane a split second after a player hits a shot.

I'm not sure what it is the morons are shouting, but I think I could make out a shout of "Mashed potatoes !!" in an American accent (probably put on) immediately after Dustin Johnson struck a tee shot a wee while ago.

Deserving of the spiked sole of an old golf shoe being swiftly administered to the moron's knackers.

18 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Surprised to read this from a fan of a team that had Liam Polwarth on loan from us last season.

Bound to have been mentioned in relation to the golf ....but shouting out something inane a split second after a player hits a shot.
I'm not sure what it is the morons are shouting, but I think I could make out a shout of "Mashed potatoes !!" in an American accent (probably put on) immediately after Dustin Johnson struck a tee shot a wee while ago.
Deserving of the spiked sole of an old golf shoe being swiftly administered to the moron's knackers.
I think that was originally a piss-take at the idiots that shout "get in the hole" on a par 5.
Unfortunately it's now become part and parcel of the idiot brigade.

2 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Reminds me of a caller on TalkSport after England got thumped by Germany in the 2010 World Cup (the one with the Lampard ghost goal). She phoned in saying the players weren’t trying hard enough and - and I quote - “at the end of the game they should be being physically sick!

I think they were but that was from from finding out that John Terry was shagging their birds behind their backs and not the match itself :P

18 minutes ago, A96 said:

Aye it's putting me off watching the open. Seems to be a fall out from recent Ryder cups where a boisterous atmosphere is encouraged and it's becoming more of a norm to the majors