Calling Cards of Morons

4 hours ago, milton75 said:

I think this makes me the moron, but until now I didn't know those were bucket hats. I always called them fishing caps.

But people who wear them are generally imbeciles, I can get on board with that. 12 in 1989 and I loved school and uni in the madchester to britpop years, but even so I remember the painful realisation that an awful lot of it was utter shite. I remember guys stoating around in those stupid hats and claiming that shit like Ocean Colour Scene and the Seahorses were good, and being offended at resultant ridicule.

Mansun
Dodgy
Kula Shaker
Embrace
Heavy Stereo
Boo Radleys
Manic Street Preachers
Ocean Colour Scene
Northern Uproar
Shed Seven
Powder
Bluetones
Catatonia
Seahorses
The Verve
Stereophonics
Echobelly

All crap.

There will be others that annoy me. I'll have a think. 

What really offends me is when I turn on Absolute 90s and they're playing the likes of Kula Shaker. And I remember the sort of losers in my corridor of halls of residence who liked that shit, and although it was bad enough at the time I guess somewhat forgivable because folk were young, and the scene seemed exciting. But to be playing it 25 years later isn't acceptable.

Would agree with that list apart from the Manics

4 hours ago, coprolite said:

Your view on hats, The Boo Radleys and Verve are fundamentally and objectively wrong. 

Northern Uproar were on Dragons Den recently, i forget why, but Tej said they were the next Oasis, apparently unaware that they themselves had claimed that unsuccessfully more than a quarter of a century earlier. They didn't look like they took it as a compliment. 

I don't know enough about The Boo Radleys to be fair. And I appreciate that I shouldn't judge them simply on the stuff that troubled the charts, simply because I am  ill-informed about their catalogue as a whole...

But: the stuff that did trouble the charts annoyed me. They're like Lush to me. They had a back-catalogue coming out of shoegaze that seemed well-thought of. But the chart nonsense was total rubbish and I've never bothered investigating the older stuff.

Richard Ashcroft is a total fud though. A laughable man, like that goon from Spiritualized.

1 hour ago, HK Hibee said:

Would agree with that list apart from the Manics

Nah, cannot hack the Manics. Tried to like them cos of their politics. Found them annoying. And Nicky Wire is a weird wee goblin.

4 minutes ago, milton75 said:

I don't know enough about The Boo Radleys to be fair. And I appreciate that I shouldn't judge them simply on the stuff that troubled the charts, simply because I am  ill-informed about their catalogue as a whole...

But: the stuff that did trouble the charts annoyed me. They're like Lush to me. They had a back-catalogue coming out of shoegaze that seemed well-thought of. But the chart nonsense was total rubbish and I've never bothered investigating the older stuff.

Richard Ashcroft is a total fud though. A laughable man, like that goon from Spiritualized.

Nah, cannot hack the Manics. Tried to like them cos of their politics. Found them annoying. And Nicky Wire is a weird wee goblin.

The Boo Radley's Wake Up Boo stuff was definitely their low point. I can see the comparison with Lush but Lush were shite at shoegazing too. 

Not liking Richard Ashcroft or Jason Spaceman is completely understandable. A Storm in Heaven is a great album, kind of shoegazey too i suppose. 

Just realised i've done a full on hipster "i liked their early stuff before they were popular" here haven't i? What an insufferable git. 

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

The Boo Radley's Wake Up Boo stuff was definitely their low point. I can see the comparison with Lush but Lush were shite at shoegazing too. 

Not liking Richard Ashcroft or Jason Spaceman is completely understandable. A Storm in Heaven is a great album, kind of shoegazey too i suppose. 

Just realised i've done a full on hipster "i liked their early stuff before they were popular" here haven't i? What an insufferable git. 

Used to love the letters they would mischievously print in the NME from folk (uniformly 19 year old men) explicitly saying "I liked them before they were popular".

Does NME and Melody Maker still exist? Last time I saw an NME it was on glossy paper. I was disgusted.

Used to love the letters they would mischievously print in the NME from folk (uniformly 19 year old men) explicitly saying "I liked them before they were popular".
Does NME and Melody Maker still exist? Last time I saw an NME it was on glossy paper. I was disgusted.

So basically

These days everyone is into taking the piss out of people who liked things before they were popular but you were taking the piss out of people who liked things before they were popular before taking the piss out of people who liked things before they were popular was popular

I tend to find I prefer early stuff from bands that have broken through in my life time.
Very rare to start listening to a band that you never used to like but more common to not like newer stuff from a band you liked before.
Also bands in general tend to lose that magic spark over time that made them stand out from the norm.

People who have opinions on absolutely anything and everything.  A sign of intelligence is when people know they don't know enough about a subject.  A lot of morons seem to have an opinion on absolutely every subject often with absolutely no knowledge or experience.

The Verve’s debut album A Storm In Heaven is tremendous. It’s a fairly unique sound; shoegazing but with a singer with a Britpop sounding voice.

On 16/05/2022 at 10:25, milton75 said:

MM's pan breid AFAIK. NME went to being a free paper handed out like the Evening Standard; not sure if it still is or if it's just the website now. I'll also defend the Boo Radleys, or Giant Steps at least.  And the Manics at least had a decent original idea about doing one LP, getting all the money and buggering off like the Pistols, it's just a shame the LP wasn't that great and then they turned into fat Welsh Bon Jovi. I think I saw Northern Uproar supporting the Charlatans at the Barras. 

On 16/05/2022 at 16:25, milton75 said:

The NME (formerly the Harmonica Times) is now entirely online.  Easy to find.

I always enjoyed how there were rival factions of the Paul Weller fan club who totally idolised him but also despised anyone who totally idolised him.

"The Jam are brilliant.  It is absolutely sickening more people don't know that.  The Jam have gone to Number 1.  It makes me sick.  They sold out."

Grown adults, mainly from the sporting world but predominantly football who still call guys by nicknames that primary kids would use. Folks in their 30's and 40's being referred to as wazza - Wayne Rooney, Becks - Beckham by morons such as Gary Neville or Roy Keane etc. Even smaller clubs like ICT as an example where during interviews people call Robbo -John Robertson/Doddsy - Billy Dodds...............firstly the nicknames are just the original names made into some kind of child speak.

I'm not sure whether its worse that these people dont call anyone up for still using those names and explain in the adult world we are called Wayne, David, John, Billy etc or the idiots who use those terms still thinking they are 'cool'. Perhaps its a sign of the playgound attitudes around football but its fucking idiotic and instantly makes me switch off from anything else said..........................Oh and dont start me on the use of the word 'gaffer'. FFS.

On 16/05/2022 at 18:47, Loonytoons said:

I tend to find I prefer early stuff from bands that have broken through in my life time.
Very rare to start listening to a band that you never used to like but more common to not like newer stuff from a band you liked before.
Also bands in general tend to lose that magic spark over time that made them stand out from the norm.

Bands often have a good first album full of songs they wrote before they were seriously a band, with all the pressures of touring, getting along with each other and so on.   The Beatles changed  when they stopped touring.  Often a change of personnel can change the band completely.  Fleetwood Mac, Genesis and Pink Floyd changed considerably between early and late.  Even a new drummer or bass player can freshen up a band.  I can think of one band that had a good album, four or five crap albums and then another good one.  Actually a question of whose in the band at the time.

IMO obviously.

7 hours ago, Empty It said:

Making a list of 90s bands that are shit and omitting Oasis.

I ducked that particular shitstorm, I admit. 

I find most of U2's 90s output more irritating than Oasis though. But I never liked those fuds. 

Looking back though, I can't believe there was hype about Roll With It vs Country House. 2 of the worst songs you're likely to hear still played today.

9 hours ago, Fullerene said:

The NME (formerly the Harmonica Times) is now entirely online.  Easy to find.

I always enjoyed how there were rival factions of the Paul Weller fan club who totally idolised him but also despised anyone who totally idolised him.

"The Jam are brilliant.  It is absolutely sickening more people don't know that.  The Jam have gone to Number 1.  It makes me sick.  They sold out."

Best band ever IMO....and I'm not sure there are that many Jam fans who thought they sold out.  Quite the opposite , if anything , seeing as Weller split them up and headed off on his own , very different directions. I reckon most Jam fans respect him for quitting when he did rather than taking the easy option of milking The Jam's popularity for all it was worth.