Calling Cards of Morons

5 hours ago, Tony Ferrino said:

None of that goes on, ever.

of course it does, no one would deny that. but the facebook maws who are adamant that mcdonalds stuffed the council with dodgy money in order to get perfectly legitimate planning application approved on a site in an existing retail park is stretching it a bit

or perhaps the fort william fans mentioned on another thread. accusing a rival team of bribary when they would in fact have pumped them sillly had the game gone ahead 

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd

On 24/04/2022 at 10:38, TheScarf said:

Two sections in 7 years, so there’s no way it’ll be finished in 3 years time. Only one completed before Covid, not ideal. 

I drove from Glasgow to Aviemore a few weeks back and couldn't really see why the A9 gets such a bad name, although admittedly I have nothing to compare it to as that was the first I had driven it not being a passenger. Obviously people who travel on it more regularly than me have their complaints, but what exactly are they? I can remember there was issues about the length of dual carriageway sections and lack of places to overtake slower moving vehicles, what else causes people to despise that road so much? 

On 27/04/2022 at 06:20, effeffsee_the2nd said:

of course it does, no one would deny that. but the facebook maws who are adamant that mcdonalds stuffed the council with dodgy money in order to get perfectly legitimate planning application approved on a site in an existing retail park is stretching it a bit

It usually goes the other way; globally, local government give bribes and make special considerations to get corporations to open outlets in their area. The companies also apply pressure to have their applications jumped to the top of the queue.

In cases where that doesn't work, it's a bit naïve to think that they're above a wee bung, and that there aren't plenty of politicians happy to make hay while the sun shines.

7 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I drove from Glasgow to Aviemore a few weeks back and couldn't really see why the A9 gets such a bad name, although admittedly I have nothing to compare it to as that was the first I had driven it not being a passenger. Obviously people who travel on it more regularly than me have their complaints, but what exactly are they? I can remember there was issues about the length of dual carriageway sections and lack of places to overtake slower moving vehicles, what else causes people to despise that road so much? 

There’s nothing wrong with the actual road as such. It’s some other road users that cause the issues. Particularly arseholes who sit at 50 on the single then speed up to 80 on the dual forcing you to speed excessively to pass them. 

There’s nothing wrong with the actual road as such. It’s some other road users that cause the issues. Particularly arseholes who sit at 50 on the single then speed up to 80 on the dual forcing you to speed excessively to pass them. 
Or HGVs deciding to overtake on the dual carriageway because they're going 2mph quicker than the other lorry.

6 minutes ago, Empty It said:
14 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Or HGVs deciding to overtake on the dual carriageway because they're going 2mph quicker than the other lorry.

Yes. We could make a list of arsehole behaviour but really would take too long. 

2 hours ago, Empty It said:
2 hours ago, Rugster said:

I was told that when there's a few of them in a convoy they'll do that to take turns as the lead. 

2 hours ago, Rugster said:

Are you talking about drivers who stick to 50 with the open road ahead of them and then go to 80 as soon as they’re on the dual?......or drivers who won’t overtake a sole vehicle (possibly a fish van) ahead of them that’s sticking to 50 until they get to the dual ?

Cant say I’ve come across many, if any,  of the former. But I can sympathise with folk being reluctant to overtake on many stretches of the single carriageway,  especially if they’re not all that familiar with the road.  

10 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I find it a more relaxing drive since the cameras were put in, fewer nutters overtaking without enough space coming towards you. As said above, c***s misusing the overtaking sections are utter scum though. Vans are much worse than lorries for it in my experience, trundling along at 50 until they reach one of the overtaking sections then accelerating to 75 so nobody can overtake them without breaking the law, then back to 50. Most lorries tend to keep pretty close to a steady 60.

Edited by welshbairn

6 minutes ago, A96 said:

Are you talking about drivers who stick to 50 with the open road ahead of them and then go to 80 as soon as they’re on the dual?......or drivers who won’t overtake a sole vehicle (possibly a fish van) ahead of them that’s sticking to 50 until they get to the dual ?

Cant say I’ve come across many, if any,  of the former. But I can sympathise with folk being reluctant to overtake on many stretches of the single carriageway,  especially if they’re not all that familiar with the road.  

The former. 

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I find it a more relaxing drive since the cameras were put in, fewer nutters overtaking without enough space coming towards you. As said above, c***s misusing the overtaking sections are utter scum though. Vans are much worse than lorries for it in my experience, trundling along at 50 until they reach one of the overtaking sections then accelerating to 75 so nobody can overtake them without breaking the law, then back to 50. Most lorries tend to keep pretty close to a steady 60.

Are you aware that, generally speaking, the speed limits for various vans can be lower than those applicable to cars ?

5 minutes ago, A96 said:

Are you aware that, generally speaking, the speed limits for various vans can be lower than those applicable to cars ?

I am. I'm also aware that if they speed up for short overtaking sections they're being c***s, it will barely impact on their journey times but it will fuckup everyone else's who's stuck behind them.

Edited by welshbairn

6 minutes ago, A96 said:

The speed limits for vans are still lower than for cars on the dual carriageway. So if they are driving along at 50 on the single carriageway and then speeding up to 70+ they are indeed being c***s for not letting faster vehicles past.