Calling Cards of Morons

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Greeting about match tickets for football games being online purchase only (i.e. no pay at the gate option). Exacerbated by claiming clubs will lose money/fans because of it.

It’s yer da energy.  Whit do you mean ‘the internet’. No heard of it

29 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

It’s yer da energy.  Whit do you mean ‘the internet’. No heard of it

Can't say I agree. There are people who don't want to use their phones for everything/do everything online whether you want to acknowledge that or not. 

45 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

So? They should be forced to do it or give up going to the football?

They should join the modern world.  U60 Is generous for me. Using basic IT was day to day life of anyone working after about 2000. You’d need to be able nearly 100 to not be involved with basic IT very few of use cash day to dAy. We can’t expect the football world to stop when everyone else has moved on. Indeed football has been a slow adapter

Edited by parsforlife

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

They should join the modern world.  U60 Is generous for me. Using basic IT was day to day life of anyone working after about 2000. You’d need to be able nearly 100 to not be involved with basic IT very few of use cash day to dAy. We can’t expect the football world to stop when everyone else has moved on. Indeed football has been a slow adapter

grandpa.jpg.01e8bbc791896c0030329ae4351be5b5.jpg

15 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

They should have no choice, despite cash being still a perfectly valid way to pay for things for.......

For what reason exactly?

Opting to have a smartphone and ready internet might seem like a no brainer choice, what you are effectively arguing for is them to be mandatory. Genuinely cant see why it would ever qualify as a calling card of a moron to wish to pay for something using cash like you always have.

The modern world still uses cash.
Just as well for the COOP down the road from me when their internet went tits up for a couple of days and it was cash only at the till.
IT is not infallible and you'd need to be nearly 5 not to realise how badly a crashed internet service can severely impact on your normal day to dAy enjoyment in life.

People who don’t know how to pronounce well known places or things, especially people who are 40 years old +. 

My brother in law isn’t the brightest but is undoubtedly a nice guy. He’s somehow managed to get himself into a managerial position within a company working in the private care sector. He travels all over Scotland with his job, and every time I am in his company I find myself biting my lip when it comes to his grasp of Scottish geography. He’s quite often ‘going up to Dumfries’ or ‘down to Aberdeen’, and most of the time I let things like that slide. We were out for a meal the other night and I felt the need to interject when he repeatedly kept saying ‘Argyle and Arbute’. The guy has been about for a few decades now, and has lived in Scotland his full life, but unfortunately I can’t sit in the company of someone saying that without feeling the need to correct them. 

There seems to be a very Central Belt train of thought that the distance between Inverness and Aberdeen is akin to Edinburgh and Glasgow or that they are at least somewhat nearby each other (someone's even gone to the trouble of creating a page for the "North-East Derby" between ICT and Aberdeen on Wikipedia even though no such derby or rivalry exists).  

They aren't even vaguely close to each other - it can often take an hour to drive from Inverness to Elgin alone and that's not even halfway there!

Edited by Highland Capital

5 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

There seems to be a very Central Belt train of thought that the distance between Inverness and Aberdeen is akin to Edinburgh and Glasgow or that they are at least somewhat nearby each other (someone's even gone to the trouble of creating a page for the "North-East Derby" between ICT and Aberdeen on Wikipedia even though no such derby or rivalry exists).  

They aren't even vaguely close to each other - it can often take an hour to drive from Inverness to Elgin alone and that's not even halfway there!

I have family in Lhanbryde, and also used to work in Ellon and reside in Aberdeen. I’m familiar with that area and I’m also familiar with that Central Belt mentality. I think the problem is people from the Central Belt assuming that the roads between these places are going to be something comparable to the M8. 

Another thing that the less well travelled don’t realise is just how far East Aberdeen actually is. I would bet that if you were to ask a random Scottish person to try and locate the position of Aberdeen within Scotland, they would assume it sits much closer to Edinburgh longitudinally, when in reality it’s actually closer to Newcastle. 

I’ve drove from Aberdeen to Inverness going through Inverurie, Keith, Elgin etc. The roads from Aberdeen and up along that North East coast aren’t really comparable to a Central Belt ‘back road’. When I first moved to that area for work I was staying in a bed and breakfast near Mintlaw. This was the start of January and it was pitch black by 4 o clock. As I left work headed to the B&B for the first time, I naively assumed the satnav on my phone would take me to the door with no problems. When I turned off the A90 into single track back roads, and no signal on my phone, I quickly realised I might be in a bit of trouble. I spent 4 hours trying to find my digs that night, and was in every town and village you can imagine. A funny experience looking back but it certainly wasn’t funny at the time.  

Edited by IrishBhoy

4 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

...and no signal on my phone, I quickly realised I might me in a bit of trouble.

You certainly would have been if you'd wanted to buy a ticket for a match if parsforlife had his way!

5 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I have family in Lhanbryde, and also used to work in Ellon and reside in Aberdeen. I’m familiar with that area and I’m also familiar with that Central Belt mentality. I think the problem is people from the Central Belt assuming that the roads between these places are going to be something comparable to the M8. 

Another thing that the less well travelled don’t realise is just how far East Aberdeen actually is. I would bet that if you were to ask a random Scottish person to try and locate the position of Aberdeen within Scotland, they would assume it sits much closer to Edinburgh longitudinally, when in reality it’s actually closer to Newcastle. 

I’ve drove from Aberdeen to Inverness going through Inverurie, Keith, Elgin etc. The roads from Aberdeen and up along that North East coast aren’t really comparable to a Central Belt ‘back road’. When I first moved to that area for work I was staying in a bed and breakfast near Mintlaw. This was the start of January and it was pitch black by 4 o clock. As I left work headed to the B&B for the first time, I naively assumed the satnav on my phone would take me to the door with no problems. When I turned off the A90 into single track back roads, and no signal on my phone, I quickly realised I might be in a bit of trouble. I spent 4 hours trying to find my digs that night, and was in every town and village you can imagine. A funny experience looking back but it certainly wasn’t funny at the time.  

Fun fact. Aberdeen is further west than Birmingham 

10 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I just went on to Google maps to confirm that and it seems you are correct. Britain does sit at quite an angle, Edinburgh basically sits on the longitudinal line of the Welsh border, which has surprised me. 

9 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I just went on to Google maps to confirm that and it seems you are correct. Britain does sit at quite an angle, Edinburgh basically sits on the longitudinal line of the Welsh border, which has surprised me. 

Yes, Edinburgh is the furthest west capital on the island. Although there’s only 0.02 degrees in it so I guess embra and Cardiff overlap a bit.

24 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Another fun fact along the same lines as that, which I’ve just spent the last 20 minutes on Google maps trying to remember, is that Glasgow sits slightly further north than Moscow. When you look at a conventional 2D map you wouldn’t be able to tell, but with the latitudinal lines drawn it’s ever so slightly further north. 

27 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Edinburgh is more west than Bristol, was the one that blew my mind

I'm a bit drawn on the whole online ticket thing. On one side I don't agree with making football less accessible and it's easy to say get someone else buy your ticket if you can't get online but you'll have people for whatever reason may not have that option. However, on the other side I know plenty of folk who don't like it because they want a paper ticket purely so they have a keepsake. Whilst obviously it's nice to have a ticket for a memorable game to look back on years down the line, bothering about having a ticket for Morton vs Hamilton to stick in a box and never actually bother to look at is just sentimental shite.

So, don't do away with pay at the gate completely but online ticketing should the way forward