Calling Cards of Morons

4 minutes ago, greendot said:

Calling cards of high brow intellects for the past couple pages 🤔

They made a film of it.

That said, there's probably a simple adaption for children somewhere. There seems to be one for everything.

tumblr_maabejllgg1qh0usho1_500.jpg?w=739

Absolute scorn for the use of teabags or taking milk.

This I completely agree with. Putting milk in tea is like putting cola in whisky. You only do it if you're drinking absolute pish.

Teabags literally consist of the dust and fragments hoovered up from the production line of quality tea.

5 hours ago, coprolite said:

Everyone doing it does make it ok. 

That's how language evolves. 

It doesn't mean literally "like George Orwell" any more. 

You can take my Oxford English Dictionary from my cold, dead hands before I concede that frequently misused words such as:  decimate, fortuitous and disinterested change their meaning in accordance with popular usage.

Incidentally, I have read A Clergyman's Daughter and Coming up for Air, and believe that Orwell's literary reputation benefited greatly from his being diverted towards political and social issues.

I'm not sure it ever did tbh. I've only ever heard it in relation to 1984..
First sentence is spot on, unfortunately. This isn't morality. Language is democratic and if a word is most commonly used in a particular way then the meaning of that word adjusts accordingly. 

You've just about got that correct

28 minutes ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

You can take my Oxford English Dictionary from my cold, dead hands before I concede that frequently misused words such as:  decimate, fortuitous and disinterested change their meaning in accordance with popular usage.

Incidentally, I have read A Clergyman's Daughter and Coming up for Air, and believe that Orwell's literary reputation benefited greatly from his being diverted towards political and social issues.

^^^

52 minutes ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

I thought about bludgeoning someone to death for saying "literally decimated" in the context of a couple of people being off at work. I'd have plead guilty and served my sentence gleefully.

Puddle-drinking, masked-singer-enjoying scum. 

59 minutes ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

Coming up for Air is brilliant. By which i mean "very good" and not "really shiny", so apologies for that. 

4 minutes ago, velo army said:

I have no idea what he did there. Handing in my "highbrow intellectual" cards as I type.

I'm now hoping it's the way "just about" has changed over time! In football commentary I've heard "he just about got that ball off the line" when he did get the ball off the line. Maybe clarification, @Loonytoons ?

16 hours ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

Is it your position that decimate should only be used if you are planning to kill 1 in 10 of a particular group of people?

I'm now hoping it's the way "just about" has changed over time! In football commentary I've heard "he just about got that ball off the line" when he did get the ball off the line. Maybe clarification, [mention=60257]Loonytoons[/mention] ?
This is correct.