Calling Cards of Morons

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:

Well yes, that goes for any proof of ownership. Again, nothing particular to the blockchain environment.

Some of the art sold as NFTs have already made their creators money in physical form.

Aye, but from speculators rather than art lovers in the main, I presume. 

Aye, but from speculators rather than art lovers in the main, I presume. 
It really depends on the genre. The speculation just makes for clickbaity headlines so people assume that's all there is.

To be honest most at NFT sales I see these days are people just wanting to support artists, a great many of them artists themselves. There's some great stuff out there and it's finally given generative art an ecosystem in which it can thrive. It's done a great job of connecting artists and fans.

The big projects are mainly bought for speculation, Murat Pak sold his out for $100 million yesterday and I doubt many were in it for the art.

The 1/1 artists who people buy for speculation are those who have garnered a large fan base by selling NFTs for very small amounts originally which were bought by those who simply liked the art.

It's great seeing photographers whose incredible photos have made them $32 on shutterstock, or $50 from a magazine sell the same image for $1000 to someone wealthy who truly loves it. And if that person does flip it then the artist gets a 10% cut off the secondary sale.

It's just such a more efficient marketplace than the traditional art world when it comes to connecting artists and art lovers.

I suppose in 1888 if you'd bought a nice modern style painting off a scruffy Dutch guy it might have been worth 10 Francs.

Years later it's worth 100 million Francs because the scruffy guy was one Vincent Van Gogh.

Similarly there are folk with oil paintings by a Fife guy called Hoggan that they bought for a couple of quid which are now worth a Bob or two because he changed his name to Vettriano.

Everything depends on who is willing to pay big money for something. Now, if anyone wants a genuine Tamthebam....

On 30/11/2021 at 07:41, Florentine_Pogen said:

^^^ According to Victoria Coren on last night's Only Connect, the 'H' pronunciation is still a sectarian indicator in the Failed Statelet.

Very much so.

Along with Ur for Ar and Ah for A

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, 101 said:

People who eat their lunch before 12 noon.

Eh, more or less everyone here in Thailand, for respect of the monks. As monks last meal of the day is 11:30 until sunrise the next day. Possibly other Buddhist nations, but not sure.

34 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

What do monks living in the (Ant)arctic Circle do in winter? Die, presumably.

I don't think there is any. I only know of monks in Iceland and New Zealand, no closer to the poles as far as I know.  You can still drink after noon/no sunrise, smoothies, coffee etc

Edited by SlipperyP

I remember reading about a special dispensation for Muslims observing Ramadan in Norway in the summer months when the sun doesn't really set 

They said they should just work out the sunset time in Mecca or something and eat after that.