Calling Cards of Morons

There's also the fact that they're produced using blockchain, which is currently consuming masses of energy at a time when that's considered A Very Bad Thing, both financially and ecologically. But it's for rich folks, so that's fine.

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

NFTs are about collecting JPEGs and shit? I must be Bob fucking Guccione.

FTFY

There's also the fact that they're produced using blockchain, which is currently consuming masses of energy at a time when that's considered A Very Bad Thing, both financially and ecologically. But it's for rich folks, so that's fine.
FTFY
I expected better of you BFTD, but one exchange on Solana uses less energy than watching two YouTube videos.

There is already massive proven social utility to owning certain NFTs just as owning an otherwise £2 pair of boxers with Calvin Klien written on them is suddenly valued at £10.

12 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

I expected better of you BFTD, but one exchange on Solana uses less energy than watching two YouTube videos.

There is already massive proven social utility to owning certain NFTs just as owning an otherwise £2 pair of boxers with Calvin Klien written on them is suddenly valued at £10.

Ha! Now you know better.

I'm fairly ignorant on this, only going by what I've picked up in passing, but even a quick search for "blockchain energy consumption" is full of hits for articles claiming absolutely monstrous power usage. I'll need to read up on it more, and it doesn't make you wrong, but you're literally the first person I've seen claiming otherwise.

Also, which YouTube videos? Asking for a mate.

There's so much nonsense from both sides when it comes to blockchain. There are loads of people who seem to be strangely militant in their hate for the technology, and similarly there are the obnoxious Bitcoin bros which Ross was talking about. There are also plenty of rug pulls, pump and dumps and other scams. I'm not very comfortable with the advertising by the likes of crypto.com and etoro either.

Blockchain has had many opportunities to fail over the last decade but instead it's become a multi-trillion dollar industry. There are a huge amount of incredibly smart people working on it and more are coming over from other industries by the day.

More work needs to be done in convincing the public of its benefits though. NFTs are massively misunderstood and have far more use cases than Alexi Lalas pictures and Bored Apes.

My attitude is that blockchain technology is undoubtedly useful, but it will be adopted by national banks and conventional financial institutions with the security that implies, making all these existing coins and instruments less desirable and tradable.

18 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I'm not really sure how this whole NFT stuff works but there's something about it I find a bit creepy.

It’s a way to buy, sell and prove ownership of digital art. People can sell physical artwork that they have created so why not digital artwork?

You can own this drawing for the bargain price of $1 million. Have a piece of Internet meme history, or don’t cause that would be daft.

image.thumb.jpeg.023c239c82b8210981d4f63238e04715.jpeg

Edited by Theroadlesstravelled

Kudos to anyone who's made money off an NFT but it's a scam sustained by dumb dumbs and no amount of bleating from nerds is going to change that.

Some of the worst bait I've seen on here in a long time.

It’s a way to buy, sell and prove ownership of digital art.

Not just art, it's digital proof of ownership of anything. No reason why the deeds to the big hoose couldn't be an NFT. Your season ticket could be an NFT. There will be hundreds of use cases.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

Not just art, it's digital proof of ownership of anything. No reason why the deeds to the big hoose couldn't be an NFT. Your season ticket could be an NFT. There will be hundreds of use cases.

In that case they're worth no more than blank sheets of paper without a link to an object of actual value. Art is pushing it imo.

Edited by welshbairn

In that case they're worth no more than blank sheets of paper without a link to an object of actual value. Art is pushing it imo.
Well yes, that goes for any proof of ownership. Again, nothing particular to the blockchain environment.

Some of the art sold as NFTs have already made their creators money in physical form.