Calling Cards of Morons

1 hour ago, milton75 said:

As annoying as it is when people do this, I'd say that if anything people have moved very slightly away from this model in the UK, not towards it. While across the UK as a whole Labour and Conservative still hold most of the votes, and while Westminster is still mainly a 2-paerty affair, I would suggest that it is less so than 50 years ago.

If you take the SNP out of the mix, England's as divided between the two big parties as ever. Barring the odd protest vote that the Liberals get every twenty years or so when the Tories are doing something unpopular to the middle-classes, there's barely any reason for the other parties to exist.

Westminster desperately needs some form of proportional representation, but it's hard to see a way that it would ever happen, considering there's absolutely nothing to gain for either Labour or the Conservatives. It would be like Celtgers voting to abolish their veto.

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

If you take the SNP out of the mix, England's as divided between the two big parties as ever. Barring the odd protest vote that the Liberals get every twenty years or so when the Tories are doing something unpopular to the middle-classes, there's barely any reason for the other parties to exist.

Westminster desperately needs some form of proportional representation, but it's hard to see a way that it would ever happen, considering there's absolutely nothing to gain for either Labour or the Conservatives. It would be like Celtgers voting to abolish their veto.

Aren’t the Tories also currently in the middle of attempting to redraw the boundaries to give them an even bigger majority?

11 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Aren’t the Tories also currently in the middle of attempting to redraw the boundaries to give them an even bigger majority?

boundaries have to be redone every 5 years by law to reflect population changes/migrations and in theory is independent of government.

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

That's all more or less true, but given the increased influence of lunatic fringe parties such as UKIP/Brexit, the Lib Dems getting some degree of power during to coalition years, increasing influence of The Green Party, the forementioned rise of the SNP in Scotland, and in fact all of the factors involved in Devolution in general, I'd say that we're still further away from the usual 2-party situation than at any point since WWII. For all that the Lib Dems made an arse of it, they still actually got a portion of influence, far more than achieved since the old SDLP days.
I just don't see that we've moved towards an Americanised system at all.

You could definitely make the case that the way the media treats politics and the personality-driven context in which political discourse is now occurring has followed in the footsteps of the colonies.

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

We don't have gerrymandering in the UK thankfully it's independent of politics here.

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Not to mention the Elections Bill, which is to introduce American-style voter suppression that will affect Conservatives most and reduce their share of the vote.

Oh, sorry, I meant the total opposite of that. 

33 minutes ago, milton75 said:

That's all more or less true, but given the increased influence of lunatic fringe parties such as UKIP/Brexit, the Lib Dems getting some degree of power during to coalition years, increasing influence of The Green Party, the forementioned rise of the SNP in Scotland, and in fact all of the factors involved in Devolution in general, I'd say that we're still further away from the usual 2-party situation than at any point since WWII. For all that the Lib Dems made an arse of it, they still actually got a portion of influence, far more than achieved since the old SDLP days.
I just don't see that we've moved towards an Americanised system at all.

You could definitely make the case that the way the media treats politics and the personality-driven context in which political discourse is now occurring has followed in the footsteps of the colonies.

I don't think we've moved towards it particularly, but if it has changed it's not by much, and certainly the Liberal Democrat influence consisted of doing as they were told in exchange for a chance of personal gain.

The main change is that the electorate has shifted right, and the Tories had their little internecine battle over that, which created (then killed off) the various Farage parties. Even that didn't threaten to change a lot; I seem to remember UKIP being polled at 20%+ at one point, and still being forecast to end up with MPs in single figures. The influence of the other parties is still miniscule.

8 hours ago, red23 said:

been invited to a halloween party on 13th November, the only thing that can be more pathetic than a bunch of 30/40 years olds dressing up is doing it 2 weeks late as if an entire halloween weekend wasn't enough.

Go as a massive f**k off poppy and get 2 for the price of one

been invited to a halloween party on 13th November, the only thing that can be more pathetic than a bunch of 30/40 years olds dressing up is doing it 2 weeks late as if an entire halloween weekend wasn't enough.
You never know, you might meet a lovely passive-aggressive cartel moll grifter from Colombia who's looking for a mark.
Clue - she'll be dressed as a witch. [emoji3314]

1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

You never know, you might meet a lovely outright-aggressive cartel moll grifter from Colombia who's looking for a mark.
Clue - she'll be dressed as a witch and scowling at anyone vaguely Chinese.

Ftfy. 

I hope the lad meets someone nice, or if he doesn't that he lights up the ITYPD thread as before.

15 hours ago, red23 said:

"is my Harley Quinn outfit from the other week still waiting to be washed? "

33 minutes ago, Caley Shaun said:

This abuse is getting beyond a joke now, its rime time the mods sort it out or I will report the forum and get it banned altogether!!

Forums are for OPINIONS not bullying, does nobody know what is happening with the ex cricketer as I type this, he got bullied and felt alone and tbh, I know the fucking feeling!!

You've been warned so over to you now admin/mods!