Calling Cards of Morons

42 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

f**k that. Get those counted in assorted bank bags, take to the bank and don't lose a percentage of all that sweet, sweet Sterling.

I think in Switzerland, you can literally deposit coins at certain machines at your bank. Not sure why this isn't a thing more widespread.

To be fair, I had a big tin of coins and when the first lockdown started started taking big pocketfuls of it to put through the self-service machines (I think coppers are only legal tender up to 30 pence or something, but the machines don't know that).  You'd be surprised how much they often came to.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:
RBS are a bunch of no-vote wanks though.

Doesn't make you any less wrong, which is chief among my reasons for entering this particular conversation.

I'd hardly call it widespread if one wanky bank is doing it. 

Genuinely bewildered at this and I'm now going to be found* screaming at till operator's that my excessive amount of coppers is "legal tender I think you will find!" 

* I will need to actually keep anything less than 10p for this to happen. 

I think it also applies to every coin up to 50 pence that there’s a limit how much can be used to pay for something, I  think 50p and 20p was  a ten pound limit , used to see a sign up about it in  the old saint andrews court in Glasgow(don’t ask ) at the fine paying window ,can only presume as a reminder to stop people paying there fines in coppers or all coins .

2 hours ago, Arthur daley said:

I think it also applies to every coin up to 50 pence that there’s a limit how much can be used to pay for something, I  think 50p and 20p was  a ten pound limit , used to see a sign up about it in  the old saint andrews court in Glasgow(don’t ask ) at the fine paying window ,can only presume as a reminder to stop people paying there fines in coppers or all coins .

Respect to everyone who attempted to pay their fines in the most irritating manner possible

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

Respect to everyone who attempted to pay their fines in the most irritating manner possible

but why? it's the person who works on behalf of the council (or whoever) that has to deal with it, they didn't issue you the fine. Makes no odds to those running it.

Edited by red23

If you've got scales, just bag your coppers by weight rather than lose 10% (or whatever) of them to those machines for doing hee-haw.

Personally, I still like counting them all by hand, surrounding myself with towers of coins and barking "humbug!" at an imaginary Bob Cratchit.

11 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

f**k that. Get those counted in assorted bank bags, take to the bank and don't lose a percentage of all that sweet, sweet Sterling.

I think in Switzerland, you can literally deposit coins at certain machines at your bank. Not sure why this isn't a thing more widespread.

If it's Bank of Scotland they'll tell you they can't bank that despite it being the whole purpose of a bank they'll sent you to the post office for the dirty work 

On 13/10/2021 at 20:38, Highland Capital said:

People who treat supporting political parties like supporting their football team.  It's become particularly prevalent over the last decade and it does my head in.  The fact that support for parties should always remain massively conditional seems completely lost to some people.

On 14/10/2021 at 20:52, 101 said:

It's another move in our society towards Americanism.

As annoying as it is when people do this, I'd say that if anything people have moved very slightly away from this model in the UK, not towards it. While across the UK as a whole Labour and Conservative still hold most of the votes, and while Westminster is still mainly a 2-paerty affair, I would suggest that it is less so than 50 years ago.