Calling Cards of Morons

3 hours ago, Paul Kersey said:

What would be the greatest country in the world?

I'd go for Switzerland. They've a high standard of living, spectacular scenery and they're not daft enough to get involved in silly wars. They also make tasty chocolate and handy little penknives.

WWII wasn't a particularly good look for them.

4 hours ago, Paul Kersey said:

I'd go for Switzerland. They've a high standard of living, spectacular scenery and they're not daft enough to get involved in silly wars. They also make tasty chocolate and handy little penknives.

The also gave us the Toblerone so for that reason alone I'd have to knock them back.

I'm probably weird, on this and a number of other things, but I'm quite happy to live in a country that knows it's a bit shit. Maybe good at some things, but poor in other areas. The whole American/Team GB thing of "we're the best, and it's sacrilege to say otherwise" is pretty grim, and mainly propaganda to avoid addressing terrible flaws.

Everyone would probably do a lot better to coldly recognise their strengths and weaknesses, and try to work out how other countries do it better. Y'know, like how the SFA have done with youth development over the past few decades  :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Paul Kersey said:

All true, but on the other hand they're also a shower of yodelling Nazis. 

8 hours ago, BFTD said:

I'm probably weird, on this and a number of other things, but I'm quite happy to live in a country that knows it's a bit shit. Maybe good at some things, but poor in other areas. The whole American/Team GB thing of "we're the best, and it's sacrilege to say otherwise" is pretty grim, and mainly propaganda to avoid addressing terrible flaws.

Everyone would probably do a lot better to coldly recognise their strengths and weaknesses, and try to work out how other countries do it better. Y'know, like how the SFA have done with youth development over the past few decades  :rolleyes:

This is 100% my take as well.

We have some fantastic architecture in our cities, and when you get out of the central belt we also undoubtedly have some of the world's most stunning scenery. There's also things like the telly, penicillin and tarmacadam. We've undoubtedly done our bit for the world. 

On the flip side, there's also high drug deaths, poverty and, well, Cumbernauld. Things not to be proud of.

We probably rank similarly in the 'best country' stakes as we do in the 'best footballing stakes'. Likeable and mostly inoffensive. A bit shit, but a lot of potential if run the right way.

33 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

People who drive around in cars and in tonight's case a motorbike blaring music at deafening levels.  Do they think people are impressed by that?

There's certainly silly amount of people who do that, but sometimes the tune is too good to not be enjoyed to its absolute max. The small amounts of individuals who might hear a brief second of that magic and not apricate it is inconsequential. (ned music not included)

On 26/08/2021 at 14:27, Highland Capital said:

People who claim that America is the greatest country in the world.

People who claim that America is the greatest country in the world because they went there and some nice blueberry pancakes for breakfast.

Awesome!

3 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

People who drive around in cars and in tonight's case a motorbike blaring music at deafening levels.  Do they think people are impressed by that?

It's always shite music as well (by my eclectic tastes).

It's never, say, Frank Sinatra. 

I now have visions of Tam Cowan causing fear and loathing by driving around Scotland's quiet housing estates in a Ford Fiesta blasting out Englebert and Perry Como

12 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I'd also add c***s who drive cars that make more engine noise than they should.

Y'know, the sort of motor that sounds like a NASCAR when it's doing 30 along some city street.

56 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

I'd also add c***s who drive cars that make more engine noise than they should.

Y'know, the sort of motor that sounds like a NASCAR when it's doing 30 along some city street.

Aye, that's worse. The c***s who somehow engineer their motors to make small explosions when they accelerate, and like to sit revving their engines in the middle of the night.

Where's the real (fictional) Paul Kersey when you need him.

13 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I'd class this as one of my guilty pleasures, I'm well aware I must look like an absolute knob blaring music out a Dacia but it's like a little sanctuary with one of my favourite songs playing as I leave work.

Inevitably, it's always terrible music, so I presume it's just to piss people off, same as the exploding engines.

You never see auld buggers blasting the Glenn Miller or George Formby, which is odd considering that's the demographic who would need to turn their music right up.

23 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Inevitably, it's always terrible music, so I presume it's just to piss people off, same as the exploding engines.

You never see auld buggers blasting the Glenn Miller or George Formby, which is odd considering that's the demographic who would need to turn their music right up.

Demographically speaking if an auld bugger is anyone over 75 and their musical tastes are what they listened to when they were 16 they should be blasting out Elvis, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly and in a couple of years the early Beatles and Stones.

I'd class this as one of my guilty pleasures, I'm well aware I must look like an absolute knob blaring music out a Dacia but it's like a little sanctuary with one of my favourite songs playing as I leave work.
It's not just looking like a knob. Nobody cares if you look like a knob, they care that you're acting like a knob.