Calling Cards of Morons

On 05/07/2021 at 15:55, 19QOS19 said:

Larkhall had a black sign on their Subway as opposed to green I'm sure and aren't their green traffic lights protected behind a cage?

It definitely goes on and is absolutely pathetic.

I assumed you were joking so Streetviewed it. 😂

image.thumb.png.c39997b20e2ab85e6c7711f7d05b892d.png

On a similar note, I very much imagine this has come up in this thread before, but people who were a football top to go on holiday are absolute imbeciles.

EDIT: or to go to social events, a court appearance, etc.

Edited by milton75

I assumed you were joking so Streetviewed it. [emoji23]
image.thumb.png.c39997b20e2ab85e6c7711f7d05b892d.png
Absolutely tragic yet not surprising default_sad.png

My brother used to teach in Larkhall and just said he watched Rugby when asked who he supported as it was easier that way.

19 hours ago, milton75 said:

On a similar note, I very much imagine this has come up in this thread before, but people who were a football top to go on holiday are absolute imbeciles.

EDIT: or to go to social events, a court appearance, etc.

There's an entire thread for this pish. Have at it.

And aye, I'll wear what I like, thank you very much.

Ruel St etc.

Edited by velo army
Cannae type

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

To be fair, I know of a couple of people who could be described as 'not taking fools gladly' but they're not bullies, more if someone's an idiot they don't bother with them.

There's nothing wrong with that, infact i suspect that's what most people do. it's the need to announce it to everyone along with the university of life and school of hard knocks that is the sure giveaway that the person is a fanny

7 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Those who refer to anyone who expresses concern about the safety of other people in any way as "helen lovejoys".

There's a place for that insult but it's massively misused. 

Disagree. There isn't any place for it as it's daft patter which has no insult value whatsoever.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:
41 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:
Disagree. There isn't any place for it as it's daft patter which has no insult value whatsoever.

Have you never watched The Simpsons?

I have but tbh never seen any episode with her in it so had to ask what it meant after I saw it in here for the tenth time.

Just don't see it as being any sort of insult to get annoyed about.  Being absolutely honest it's very cringy, even childish patter which I only ever see in here.

I have but tbh never seen any episode with her in it so had to ask what it meant after I saw it in here for the tenth time.
Just don't see it as being any sort of insult to get annoyed about.  Being absolutely honest it's very cringy, even childish patter which I only ever see in here.
Cant agree with this. Much as I fucking hate terms like "virtue signalling", social media has absolutely given rise to what I guess you might call "faux concern" over every topic you care to imagine.

Lovejoy is absolutely the best comparison for these types.

Eta similarly I occasionally see folk talking about how gammon is shite patter. Its not. Its famtastic and should be used more

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Cant agree with this. Much as I fucking hate terms like "virtue signalling", social media has absolutely given rise to what I guess you might call "faux concern" over every topic you care to imagine.

Lovejoy is absolutely the best comparison for these types.

Take your point on it being a comparison but unless the recipient of the "insult" knows The Simpsons well enough to know who she is then it's not an insult. Seeing it written repeatedly on here hasn't given it any more gravitas. See also "gammon", despite that poster losing his head over it a wee while ago.

I suppose the yardstick is when someone asks what it means then it is way too niche and therefore useless for anyone other than those backslapping each other over it's use. Also, let's be honest here, it has no place in the vocabulary of a grown man.

Take your point on it being a comparison but unless the recipient of the "insult" knows The Simpsons well enough to know who she is then it's not an insult. Seeing it written repeatedly on here hasn't given it any more gravitas. See also "gammon", despite that poster losing his head over it a wee while ago.
I suppose the yardstick is when someone asks what it means then it is way too niche and therefore useless for anyone other than those backslapping each other over it's use. Also, let's be honest here, it has no place in the vocabulary of a grown man.
I will never defend anyone who doesnt have a working knowledge of Simpsons canon.

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

The "won't somebody think of the children?" line is good when people are pretending to care about the impact of something on others, when really they're just being selfish. But I've seen it used here today to describe people suggesting we might want to get some education out so that not so many people drown every time the sun shines, maybe include open water swimming in school swimming lessons, and that's definite moron behaviour.

And I agree about having to know The Simpsons - I know the line and the scene well, but I never knew the character's name until I googled it after seeing references on here. Off this board I suspect hardly anybody does. 

4 minutes ago, GordonS said:

The "won't somebody think of the children?" line is good when people are pretending to care about the impact of something on others, when really they're just being selfish. But I've seen it used here today to describe people suggesting we might want to get some education out so that not so many people drown every time the sun shines, maybe include open water swimming in school swimming lessons, and that's definite moron behaviour.

And I agree about having to know The Simpsons - I know the line and the scene well, but I never knew the character's name until I googled it after seeing references on here. Off this board I suspect hardly anybody does. 

Most people would probably think you meant the maverick antique dealer and take it as a compliment because he was a bit of a shagger.