Calling Cards of Morons

8 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Ed Smith, former England Cricketer, wrote a very good book called “Luck” where amongst other things he debunks the idea of needing to be “the team that wants it more”.

“Wanting it” is good to a point but actually being desperate is more likely to mean you freeze under pressure.

@wastecoatwilly

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

People who press the button umpteen times at a pelican crossing as if that changes the lights any quicker.

It changes quicker than if you don't push the button at all and is far, far less moronic than using the word "umpteen". 

8 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

People who press the button umpteen times at a pelican crossing as if that changes the lights any quicker.

People who flash their headlights at traffic lights to get them to change quicker on approach also. 

14 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Ed Smith, former England Cricketer, wrote a very good book called “Luck” where amongst other things he debunks the idea of needing to be “the team that wants it more”.

“Wanting it” is good to a point but actually being desperate is more likely to mean you freeze under pressure.

Of course, particularly in adverse situations within a game. A cool head and a confidence to continue to carry out a game plan is far more valuable than allowing the emotion of ‘wanting it’ to take over. 

Aye, but that's nowhere near as fun. 
Absolutely, but the person who sparked my post then complains about struggling to pay her bills. There's no quantumly linked facsimile-cake somewhere else in the universe which you can have while you dine on the one in front of you.

My sister in law is like that. The kids are done out in the best gear paying an absolute fortune for it, the pair of them have thousands of pounds worth of ink on their body and they change their entire livingroom on a regular basis yet the minute something important goes wrong in the house, even something as minor as the washing machine packing in, it's the "God we really can't afford this to happen right now".

• 2 weeks later...
Complain that self checkout machines take away jobs. 
Is there nothing in this though? I have always somewhat lazily assumed it to be true, but I was in Stenny ASDA the other day and they have changed it so where there used to be probably a dozen manned checkouts there are now only about 3 and it now has the highest ratio of self checkouts I can think of seeing. I dont see how that can fail to result in job cuts?

Eta, even if we are not directly there yet, its the thin end of the wedge

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

They take away unwanted social interaction and let me buy haemorrhoid cream and johnnies without embarrassment. That's worth a few livelihoods. 

Same but with me its my lipstick.