Calling Cards of Morons

2 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Someone on here once made the point that over a 50 mile distance the difference between 70 and 80 mph is about 4 minutes. Always remember that when I'm tempted to speed - in the scheme of things it makes f**k all difference. 

This is obviously true, and, for example, speeding along the M8 between Edinburgh and Glasgow is, apart from almost impossible during daylight, a bit pointless.

Driving from Glasgow to Manchester, however, down a mostly empty M74 / M6 at 80mph vs 70mph shaves about 30 minutes off of a journey. Over time that adds up.

A person driving 1,200 miles in a week at 80mph vs 70mph, for example, would spend over 2 hours less behind the wheel.

I'm not condoning speeding, but I reckon those who regularly speed are travelling further than 50 miles per day.

Edited by Todd_is_God

11 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

This is obviously true, and, for example, speeding along the M8 between Edinburgh and Glasgow is, apart from almost impossible during daylight, a bit pointless.

Driving from Glasgow to Manchester, however, down a mostly empty M74 / M6 at 80mph vs 70mph shaves about 30 minutes off of a journey. Over time that adds up.

A person driving 1,200 miles in a week at 80mph vs 70mph, for example, would spend over 2 hours less behind the wheel.

I'm not condoning speeding, but I reckon those who regularly speed are travelling further than 50 miles per day.

Not in this country they're not. 50 miles would nearly take you from one end to the other (I exaggerate slightly).

I was on a reduced limit road the other day, down to 40 mph (which I dutifully observed) on a coned off dual carriageway. A white Audi sat on my arse the entire length ( a couple of miles?) and as soon as the limit was off and the road opened up they were off like a bat out of hell. A couple of minutes later I was right behind them.

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig

Not in this country they're not. 50 miles would nearly take you from one end to the other (I exaggerate slightly).

I used to do around 50-60 thousand miles a year in specification and sales work. Easy to do more than 50 miles a day because ( haud yer breath) it doesn’t ALL have to be in the same direction [emoji1787][emoji1787]

ETA you’re talking NornIrn not Scotland but the same direction bit is still valid!

10 hours ago, Raidernation said:

I used to do around 50-60 thousand miles a year in specification and sales work. Easy to do more than 50 miles a day because ( haud yer breath) it doesn’t ALL have to be in the same direction emoji1787.pngemoji1787.png

ETA you’re talking NornIrn not Scotland but the same direction bit is still valid!

Just 'cos you're sober now, there's no need to show off...

On 01/08/2020 at 00:36, Todd_is_God said:

That makes sense but doesn't explain the fast and furious fanboys that do 60mph and 150 decibels on a 200 yard stretch between traffic lights. 

They are just fannies 

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

That makes sense but doesn't explain the fast and furious fanboys that do 60mph and 150 decibels on a 200 yard stretch between traffic lights. 

They are just fannies 

True. There is one guy in our street that I think tries to emulate Cole Trickle blowing his engine every time he turns the corner.

Someone on here once made the point that over a 50 mile distance the difference between 70 and 80 mph is about 4 minutes. Always remember that when I'm tempted to speed - in the scheme of things it makes f**k all difference. 
42 mins 51 secs
Vs
37 mins 30 secs

On 31/07/2020 at 15:58, Academically Deficient said:

Somebody from Leicester is bound to be in Spain on holiday. Check mate by the virus.

Maybe there are some old Roman leper colonies over there that could be re-purposed?

This is something me and Mrs WRK pointed out to her old man at the weekend. Ludicrous that no real effort is made to ensure no-one from affected areas (more now, obvs) travels.

One of the first things all parties agreed to in re-starting social vists in Prisons was that nobody from an address in an area under special measures could book a visit. Simple to implement - but then there's no "industry" looking to profit here.

As someone explained the new restrictions at the weekend - "you can only meet family members indoors if there is a card reader present to take payment".

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

On 31/07/2020 at 18:29, BingMcCrosby said:

Whats worse than this is exactly that type of car. But when they drive aggressively close to you, overtake you with a blind corner ahead. And then turn off the same road 2 mins later.

Only for you to have a look at them and see it's not a young guy it's actually a man in his 50s or 60s. The moron who never grew up.

To be honest, I reckon the majority of BMW drivers who appear to be in such a rush nowadays are simply driving to the dealers to pick up their new Audi.

30 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
3 hours ago, Highland Capital said:
Betting.  Just seems like an enormous waste of money.

If you're shite/stupid at it anyway. If you're sensible with it it's fine.

I can understand how some people could do well at it if they were very clever about it and saw a real opening where the bookies were getting it wrong and so on (I remember a period a few years ago where the bookies hadn't cottoned onto the fact that the Accies U20s were demolishing nearly everyone).  It seems to me though that the vast majority are throwing money at it willy nilly - and these betting companies didn't become massive for no reason.

17 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I can understand how some people could do well at it if they were very clever about it and saw a real opening where the bookies were getting it wrong and so on (I remember a period a few years ago where the bookies hadn't cottoned onto the fact that the Accies U20s were demolishing nearly everyone).  It seems to me though that the vast majority are throwing money at it willy nilly - and these betting companies didn't become massive for no reason.

I've definitely got no illusions about how much of a mug's game it is having worked in a bookies for 5 years but having a punt is one of life's simple pleasures. Would still happily see every major bookmaker shut down tbf.

I've no problem admitting I'm generally shit at betting but all in its usually about £20 a week I stand to lose for a wee thrill and a laugh whilst in the pub with mates. I rarely bet unless I am going out to watch the scores/games.

The folk that do my tits in are the ones that ask to go for a pint then spend 90% of their time there sat on a puggy.