Calling Cards of Morons

11 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Rab jackets.

I see your Rab jackets and raise you with Canada Goose. Like Stone Island but with and last semblance of taste and style extracted. 
Well done, you bought a fairly expensive coat. Shame you failed to develop and sense of style or imagination in your life to this point.

2DD8C688-02C2-46EF-B08A-312A71CCC078.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

Are Rab 1 of these brands nobody on the planet had heard of a year ago but on the label it says something like Rab since 1930?

No. Rab has been on the go for ages. I had a Rab down jacket in about 89. It was formed by Scottish climber Rab Carrington in the early 80's.

Their high end stuff is still good quality. The stuff aimed at the high street is pish. Same goes for The North Face (probably more so).

20 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I see your Rab jackets and raise you with Canada Goose. Like Stone Island but with and last semblance of taste and style extracted. 
Well done, you bought a fairly expensive coat. Shame you failed to develop and sense of style or imagination in your life to this point.

Agreed. Jackets for those devoid of personality. That's before you even take in to account the ethical point of view of CG products (i.e. how they collect down and coyote fur).

2DD8C688-02C2-46EF-B08A-312A71CCC078.thumb.jpeg.4afda4aaa2bc2f68859c19d37e8699a9.jpeg
You've got a lot more grey hair than I imagined.

Mrs Shandon Par though. .....

Am I the only person here who buys a jacket if its practical and value for money and doesn't care about the brand or how it might affect my perceived personality?
I'm the same. I couldn't give a f**k about brand names and think folk who do are just mugs. If I like it and value for money I'll buy it brand or not.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

Am I the only person here who buys a jacket if its practical and value for money and doesn't care about the brand or how it might affect my perceived personality?

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

I'm the same. I couldn't give a f**k about brand names and think folk who do are just mugs. If I like it and value for money I'll buy it brand or not.

Most brand names make it big because they're renowned for their quality. You sell good products, you become popular. You buy cheap, you generally get shite.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Or because they spend a fortune on advertising, and they get suckers to pay for it.

Arguably they can afford to spend a fortune on advertising because they have a large revenue because they are successful because they sell good products.

Arguably. 

12 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Most brand names make it big because they're renowned for their quality. You sell good products, you become popular. You buy cheap, you generally get shite.

My longest-lasting jacket was a Prada thing. I gave it a hard life but it stood up to the punishment of years of pub/football etc. Was sadder to see it go than I was with various family members. 

That's why I said practical and value for money. If you buy a £30 jacket that leaks at the seams and doesn't stop the wind then obviously it's impractical and bad value for money. I'm not against spending good money on a quality product.

Clothes are different to electronics/machinery though. With clothes a quick inspection can reveal quality but you need to do a bit of research on brands to find out for example how durable a phone's screen is.

18 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Meh. Shopping around you'll find quality cheaper than big brands. People act like brands have got this unknown mysterious quality so they can justify the expense of it to themselves.

Nike is extortionate and is utter shite. They won't be alone in that when it comes to clothing.

5 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Rab is another example of a good quality British outdoor clothing company, that due to being high-jacked by neds and bellends over the years (see Berghaus/Helly Hansen etc), has resulted in them starting to mass produce cheaper shite to feed the increase in popularity and demand.

Yep. Next stop : clubby books. 

56 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

A good example is boots. If you buy Timberlands you're paying for the advertising, Meindl, you're paying for quality.

Which is why you're paying double the price for a pair of Meindl.  The whole point being made is a load of companies used to supply a niche market and price accordingly.  As they become more popular, they expand and start churning out cheaper alternatives. See Berghaus/Rab/Helly Hansen etc. Their top of the range stuff is still expensive and good quality, the cheaper lines not so much.  

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Arguably they can afford to spend a fortune on advertising because they have a large revenue because they are successful because they sell good products.

Arguably. 

I made this very point years ago in a debate in English about consumerism and Miss Cowan was very impressed with my input although that was probably more to do with me actually contributing something to the class for a change rather than fucking about tbf. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

Nike is extortionate and is utter shite. They won't be alone in that when it comes to clothing.

Bit of a generalisation, surely it depends on which product? I've never bought Nike products in the past other than runners but for me they are by far the best between them, Saucony, Asics or Adidas.