Calling Cards of Morons

Just now, Dele said:

If you work more than 6hrs the minimum you have to get is 20mins. 

Why in your right mind would you work 14hrs straight without a break? :lol:

Short staffed, extremely busy. It goes by very quickly.

I would probably rather that than 2 6 hours shifts with an hour off as by the time I got home and changed it would be time to come back to work.

3 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Short staffed, extremely busy. It goes by very quickly.

I would probably rather that than 2 6 hours shifts with an hour off as by the time I got home and changed it would be time to come back to work.

How often do you refresh your balloon hat?

1 minute ago, Dele said:

I find that absolutely mental, tbh. 

It is odd but pretty standard in catering. One of the many reasons I left were the unsocial hours, the team was great it was fun working in the kitchen but I couldn't do it now.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The worst is split shifts imo, especially in a hotel. Maybe 6am start, finish at 11, then home for a bit and back from 5 till midnight. And repeat.

Did you live in? 

I know folk who would rather work during the split than climb the walls in their rooms if they lived on site.

Edited by Adam101
Thanks Zen

4 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Join a union my god

Honestly I've been banging this drum for a couple of years now. Youngsters (and it is mostly youngsters) tend not to see the point as their generation doesn't have the consciousness of unions and what they are for (and the benefits of joining). I've tried to hard to convince them. A lot of the workers aren't here for long either, or are just here part time until they finish uni and they don't want the hassle.

Hospitality is dreadful. I quit very recently and I won't be back. The money is decent, but the hours, the stress and the pounding your body takes makes it not worth it.

Worst job I had was the late shift on a zero hours contract at an aerosols factory. Waiting until 3 pm each day to be told whether you'd be needed. Arrive at 5 pm, work until 1 am, putting the lids on shaving foam or wiping the outside of make up tubs. They'd expect you to be at work 15 mins in advance to be told where in the factory to go. Taking shit from utter bellends with not a management instinct (or SQA Higher) to their name, who naturally assume you too are a thicko for ending up somewhere like that. Dinner involved sitting for an hour in a canteen surrounded by broken middle aged men and eastern european girls (no lookers) reading red tops and looking depressed. Fucking horiffic.

Edited by Margaret Thatcher

Did you live in? 
I know folk who would rather work during the split than climb the walls in their rooms if they lived on site.
No, had about 45 mins travel each way too. Worked kitchens in a hotel too a while back, in comparison 12 hour shifts roughnecking on an oil rig was a doddle.

14 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Worst job I had was the late shift on a zero hours contract at an aerosols factory. Waiting until 3 pm each day to be told whether you'd be needed. Arrive at 5 pm, work until 1 am, putting the lids on shaving foam or wiping the outside of make up tubs. They'd expect you to be at work 15 mins in advance to be told where in the factory to go. Taking shit from utter bellends with not a management instinct (or SQA Higher) to their name, who naturally assume you too are a thicko for ending up somewhere like that. Dinner involved sitting for an hour in a canteen surrounded by broken middle aged men and eastern european girls (no lookers) reading red tops and looking depressed. Fucking horiffic.

I managed 2 and a bit shifts in motorola, dropping phones on to a rubber mat. Left when the pub opened on the Friday.

38 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The worst is split shifts imo, especially in a hotel. Maybe 6am start, finish at 11, then home for a bit and back from 5 till midnight. And repeat.

When I was 18, I worked in a hotel during the Xmas party season. I'd do the full 12pm-2am function shift, breakfast shift 6-11, then back on the function room. The hotel would lay on a room for anyone doing this to have a kip/shower in between, and you were only allowed to do 3 days in a row of it, but that generally got bypassed if they were short of staff. Very occasionally you could also end up doing a couple of hours in the residents bar in between as well.

Looking back it's absolutely mental, and it's no wonder I spent most of Xmas Day sleeping that year.