Calling Cards of Morons

It's telling that the people who are raging about so called rude people in restaurants having the temerity to want to have a blether and not order immediately don't work as waiters, while those of us who do work as waiters are giving it a massive Partridge shrug.
I work as a waiter (TGI Friday's, Aberdeen Beach) and I also take an absolute age to order in restaurants. I'm too busy blethering. Why? I've gone to the restaurant to catch up with my pals, which is why most people go to restaurants. It doesn't impact my work if someone wants to take their time. Actually, if I have loads of tables already, it's a fuckin godsend when a table (especially a large table) want to take their time. If they have to be out by a certain time, and they're still there, then the next table will either be placed elsewhere or will get a wee bit knocked off their bill because of a long wait. Again, none of this has any impact on me. None. 
So by all means take your sweet time in a restaurant, and leave a dece tip.
Now can we get back on to talking about morons please?
Thank you.

I’ve only been in TGIs once and when I was there the waiting staff had to sing happy birthday to someone. Do you have to do that and if so do you hate it or do you not mind it? How long after ordering do you wait before doing it? Do you interrupt them when they’re chatting?

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I’ve only been in TGIs once and when I was there the waiting staff had to sing happy birthday to someone. Do you have to do that and if so do you hate it or do you not mind it? How long after ordering do you wait before doing it? Do you interrupt them when they’re chatting?

Does he at least wait until it's their birthday?

1 hour ago, Torpar said:

Indulge me mate, whats you avatar all about?

I mentioned on another thread the number of players we have with connections to commonwealth countries so I thought I'd put the Canadian flag in my avatar.  I'll probably change it to St Lucia next.  Nothing more than that.

6 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Folk who go to the self service checkouts, put their messages through on the other side, pay, then start putting said messages into bags.

This is where Asda and their 'skip bagging' button comes in handy. Not only do you not have the annoying wait for the scanner to weigh your messages in the 'bagging area'. You can also get a full weeks shop for half the price. Hello. 

16 hours ago, Romeo said:
19 hours ago, hk blues said:
No.  I just think it's a stinking attitude to think that paying for someone's time entitles  you to treat them as you wish.  

Taking your time to order is not "treating someone as you wish"

Nobody said it was.  

20 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Aye I do have to do that, and I have some fun with it most of the time, but sometimes it's cringeworthy. Between dessert and delivery of the bill is the best time to do it. People tend not to chat as we come over as a crowd and I have an elaborate hat made out of balloons (balloon modelling being a necessary part of the job as a TGI's waiter. Seriously.) so it tends to be a bit of a conversation stopper.

It's corporate cult-level stuff and the bureaucratic shite (service standards which at times are impossible to achieve within such short timeframes) is needlessly stressful. It's ludicrously physical too and you end up shattered all the time. 8 hour shifts without a break, 7 or 8 day streaks with long days (11-10pm is common). The guests are the least stressful part of it, tbh.

2 minutes ago, velo army said:

Aye I do have to do that, and I have some fun with it most of the time, but sometimes it's cringeworthy. Between dessert and delivery of the bill is the best time to do it. People tend not to chat as we come over as a crowd and I have an elaborate hat made out of balloons (balloon modelling being a necessary part of the job as a TGI's waiter. Seriously.) so it tends to be a bit of a conversation stopper.

It's corporate cult-level stuff and the bureaucratic shite (service standards which at times are impossible to achieve within such short timeframes) is needlessly stressful. It's ludicrously physical too and you end up shattered all the time. 8 hour shifts without a break, 7 or 8 day streaks with long days (11-10pm is common). The guests are the least stressful part of it, tbh.

It must be nice doing it for kids and the like though?

Yeah being a waiter isn't a job I'd like, difficult in so many different ways.  Michel Roux Jr did a series a few years ago about training up unemployed kids as silver service waiters and the effort that goes into running front of house at a restaurant is amazing, even somewhere casual like TGIs, let alone the places Roux Jr runs.

We were in aberdeen few weeks back. Also stopped at your work. First time ever been and it was fine. It was also the bairns birthday and he got the birthday clap from staff. The oldest enjoyed it.
However was a long time since I have ever been to condonas. Probably my last as quite pricey and not an awful lot to do for the kids really. Shame to as wasnt what I remembered it to be like ( it may have all been the same )