Calling Cards of Morons

3 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Na it's rude to the folk serving. They've got other tables, folk should pick what they want to eat first and then chat after.

Certainly not.  If you're in the middle of a conversation just say to the 'server', "I'll let you know when we're ready".  Sometimes they still pester you, though, but that's their fault.

2 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Certainly not.  If you're in the middle of a conversation just say to the 'server', "I'll let you know when we're ready".  Sometimes they still pester you, though, but that's their fault.

You almost come across as having a sense of entitlement...

1 hour ago, Angusfifer said:

You almost come across as having a sense of entitlement...

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

Knowing what I know about what happens to people being all superior to waiting staff I'm happy in the knowledge Kincy has drunk a few brandys that the barman dipped his cock in first.

Nothing entitled, superior or arsey about saying that you'll let them know when you're ready.  If you're in the middle of a conversation it's absolutely fine to finish it before you look at the menu.

15 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

When you're ready to order do you also click your fingers at them or just shout "garcon"?

11 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Nothing entitled, superior or arsey about saying that you'll let them know when you're ready.  If you're in the middle of a conversation it's absolutely fine to finish it before you look at the menu.

Asking them to come back when you're ready because you have yet to decide what to order - fine.  Asking them to come back when you're ready because you want to finish your discussion - not fine. 

18 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Asking them to come back when you're ready because you have yet to decide what to order - fine.  Asking them to come back when you're ready because you want to finish your discussion - not fine. 

So slow readers and the indecisive are allowed time but those in a conversation aren't?  That's just odd.

12 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

So slow readers and the indecisive are allowed time but those in a conversation aren't?  That's just odd.

Odd to assume someone is a slow reader just because they haven't decided what to order.  Regardless, I just cannot see how you can think sending someone away in order for you to finish your discussion is not rude.  

8 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Odd to assume someone is a slow reader just because they haven't decided what to order.  Regardless, I just cannot see how you can think sending someone away in order for you to finish your discussion is not rude.  

We both agree that it's fine to order when you're ready.  The only bit we disagree on is the reasons for it and I can't see anything rude about saying, "We've not looked at the menu yet but I'll let you know".

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

We both agree that it's fine to order when you're ready.  The only bit we disagree on is the reasons for it and I can't see anything rude about saying, "We've not looked at the menu yet but I'll let you know".

It's all about the context I suppose,; if you have had the menus for a while then I'll stick by it seeming rude, if you've only had them a short time then it's obviously a different matter.