Calling Cards of Morons

3 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

I don't understand the statistics they use but here's the piece thats in the press at the moment

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2019/04/30/1902058116

I presumed that was the abstract, but it's nothing but a two page 'paper' that evidently thinks that Bebo still exists as a social media platform and basically admits that it's a load of waffle driven by some dodgy stats.

The relations linking social media use and life satisfaction are, therefore, more nuanced than previously assumed: They are inconsistent, possibly contingent on gender, and vary substantively depending on how the data are analyzed.

no-answer.gif

Edited by Hedgecutter

I'm not doubting your experiences here, but I was in high school 10-15 years ago and there was always low level disruption when any sort of video or documentary was shown. Attention spans shorten when kids are doing shit that doesn't interest them, it might be made worse now because they automatically just turn to their phone to keep themselves interested, but I think it's more to do with what they're actually learning at school. I certainly don't see National Service as something that improves attention span, forcing them to do more shit they don't want to do isn't going to win over anyone.
I believe it was Carl Sagan who said he could go to any early primary school class (Amrican equivalent obviously) and talk about the stars, the sun, the solar system and the kids all come back with interesting questions and ideas about it, all of them get involved in discussion. He'd then go and speak to a high school class and barely anyone looks like they give a f**k, having to try and bleed answers from them. Something happens to kids during those years that sucks the curiosity out of them, whether that's down to the school curriculum, societal issues or both, I don't know, but I can't help but think the school curriculum has a big part to play.
I agree with pretty much all of this, especially the teenage years bit bring so frustrating, and not in any way new. I also didn't intend suggest some sort of modern national service would help alleviate the attention span issue.

I can assure you though, in my experience (and discussing it with others), kids attention span is weakening. Yes there would always be done disruption, but it's noticeably worse.

I also agree with shandon par's pay about young people these days being much more tolerant, and I'd add less violent than previous generations. I'm certainly not someone who writes off young people, far from it.

The national service thing was regarding what appears to be a spike in mental health issues. Partly this is down to much more openness in society around the issue, which is clearly a positive, but again I think there's something more to it.

Technology has given young people added pressure, with more choice and freedom than ever before. That can be incredibly positive, but can also lead to difficulties with identify.

17 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I agree with pretty much all of this, especially the teenage years bit bring so frustrating, and not in any way new. I also didn't intend suggest some sort of modern national service would help alleviate the attention span issue.

I can assure you though, in my experience (and discussing it with others), kids attention span is weakening. Yes there would always be done disruption, but it's noticeably worse.

I also agree with shandon par's pay about young people these days being much more tolerant, and I'd add less violent than previous generations. I'm certainly not someone who writes off young people, far from it.

The national service thing was regarding what appears to be a spike in mental health issues. Partly this is down to much more openness in society around the issue, which is clearly a positive, but again I think there's something more to it.

Technology has given young people added pressure, with more choice and freedom than ever before. That can be incredibly positive, but can also lead to difficulties with identify.

I hope it’s not English you teach...

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

There also seem to be much more tolerant and accepting about stuff like sexuality, care about the environment and the advent of smart phones allows them to be creative, not just antisocial

The kids tend to share material that they'll then talk about at school the following day or whenever (did you see that video? etc etc), using it as something to drive conversation.  Compare this to adults who'll come home and sit on their tablet (and tod), pointlessly browsing unfunny banal guff from people they've not seen in weeks, months or years, the only interaction with others being a click of the 'like' button.

The kids tend to share material that they'll then talk about at school the following day or whenever (did you see that video? etc etc), using it as something to drive conversation.  Compare this to adults who'll come home and sit on their tablet (and tod), pointlessly browsing unfunny banal guff from people they've not seen in weeks, months or years, the only interaction with others being a click of the 'like' button.
Aye but a lot of the stuff they're sharing is extremely questionable.

8 hours ago, TheScarf said:

A lot of ICT fans do this.

'Aww I saw Tom and Brad in Asda last night'.  They aren't your m8s, m8.

I saw photos from the Sponsors Night the other week and I couldn't help but feel dreadfully sorry for the players.  Having to sit at a table for a few hours being inundated with boring questions while you're trying to eat your dinner.  Must be awful.

38 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I saw photos from the Sponsors Night the other week and I couldn't help but feel dreadfully sorry for the players.  Having to sit at a table for a few hours being inundated with boring questions while you're trying to eat your dinner.  Must be awful.

Should have been at Glebe Park after our game with Stenny.  If you're going to have an end of season awards ceremony during which players get photos as they accepting their awards, make sure it's outside in the stand in front of the supporter's club an hour after being relegated.

giphy.gif

56d.gif

Edited by Hedgecutter

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
3 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:
Whoever signed off on the spelling on these.
D6xs3CkW0AA8isM?format=jpg%26name=large&key=9859a7d56ab4275896f8ee023806bf97c200942512f624e667b261c951abf37d

Last time we played Celtic at Hampden there were guys outside selling "Dunfirmline" scarves. Can't imagine them ever selling any of those. Maybe the half and half ones to illiterate Sellick [sic] fans.

I bet half of those c***s can't even spell ra sellick. :rolleyes: