Calling Cards of Morons

Summed up AJ this season completely
I think not having a plan B must be one of the most common shortcomings of managers?

Like a keeper who is a "good shotstopper" having a plan A is surely the bare minimum expected of a professional football manager. Being unable to change either game to game or during a game is surely where we find the difference between average managers and good ones, or at least one of the big areas.

23 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Whats wrong with those statements?

Are you suggesting neither of those are ever fair statements about any manager?

They're usually used by folk who , I reckon , have got no clue about football tactics , or the thought processes going through a coach or manager's mind

Since when did knowing the best eleven become such a big deal , anyway ?    Having a squad with strength in depth and substitutes who can , if required , make an impact or at least make a difference is more important.   And with injuries or suspensions or even normally good players simply having an off day , the chance of the same eleven being available for 90 minutes over consecutive games is fairly slim. 

The no Plan B comment doesn't stand up , unless the manager in question never makes any change whatsoever to his starting line-up or even just gets some of the players to move to a different position.   The mere fact that the change doesn't bring about any discernible transformation in the overall flow of the game doesn't mean the manager wasn't at least trying something different

3 minutes ago, A96 said:

The no Plan B comment doesn't stand up , unless the manager in question never makes any change whatsoever to his starting line-up or even just gets some of the players to move to a different position.   The mere fact that the change doesn't bring about any discernible transformation in the overall flow of the game doesn't mean the manager wasn't at least trying something different

You never watched Mark Warburton's Rangers team, did you?

7 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

You never watched Mark Warburton's Rangers team, did you?ll

Only once in the flesh.  The first time we ever played the new team , when Maddison scored the last minute winner at Pittodrie

My recollection is that the visitors had plenty possession but no cutting edge until Kenny Miller came on.  And more or less immediately he played a clever through-ball for Wallace who got fouled for a penalty.......sorry , the penalty.  

So Kenny Miller was a very effective Plan B that day

They're usually used by folk who , I reckon , have got no clue about football tactics , or the thought processes going through a coach or manager's mind
Since when did knowing the best eleven become such a big deal , anyway ?    Having a squad with strength in depth and substitutes who can , if required , make an impact or at least make a difference is more important.   And with injuries or suspensions or even normally good players simply having an off day , the chance of the same eleven being available for 90 minutes over consecutive games is fairly slim. 

Is it not more that these phrases are overused as opposed to never making sense?

Knowing your best XI is generally quite important in any successful team, no? Obviously it’s important to have squad depth and the ability to rotate the team but ultimately you want an element of consistency of selection/performance to be successful, particularly in a league competition. Managers chopping and changing the team significantly every week tend to be less successful.

7 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Have no geographical awareness, blindly follow their sat-nav's instructions and end up in Mallaig rather than Fort William. 

Not 100% convinced the Skye Bridge starts in Fort William either to be fair...

Geographical ignorance too.  Although I think most of the time the person is at it, trying to get a reaction from someone from said place.

Aww where's Inverness? I've never been north of Stirling pal - some 35 year old Weegie salesman to me once.

7 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Geographical ignorance too.  Although I think most of the time the person is at it, trying to get a reaction from someone from said place.

Aww where's Inverness? I've never been north of Stirling pal - some 35 year old Weegie salesman to me once.

It definite a central belt thing. As Edinburgh and Glasgow are so close together and even going from Ayrshire to Edinburgh is less than a couple of hours to drive they assume that how long it takes to 'drive across the country'. 

Try explaining that Aberdeen to Inverness is over a hundred miles on crap road or infrequent trains and takes between 2 and 3 hours and that you only half way across from Aberdeen to the Kyle  to folk that drive the 70 miles from Irvine to Edinburgh in 95 mins and are convinced that how long it takes to drive across Scotland anywhere