Calling Cards of Morons

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

Tbf, I've not put a line on for a good while (good old days of Jeff in the pub with mates and a 10ft long printed accumulator), but how else are you meant to find interest in the seemingly never ending mid-table live games?

Cheap thrills can make all the difference, although accepting you'll be losing in the long run is both acceptable and advisable. 

If you have a budget and stick to it then fair play but I’ve seen people lose their house and marriage because of it then they still continue.

18 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

People who put bets on all the time. Why not just throw half your money away in the wind?

Ever seen a poor bookie? 

It's a bit like how doing the lottery is really a donation.  There are ways to maximise your chances and notice little niches in the market etc. (the Hamilton U20s were a good example a few years back.  They were pumping teams every week yet were never favourites!).  Surely in the vast vast majority of cases though, even with a few wins here and there, in the long run you'd have more money if you didn't do it at all.

1 minute ago, D.A.F.C said:

If you have a budget and stick to it then fair play but I’ve seen people lose their house and marriage because of it then they still continue.

Aye, that's pretty tragic. However, a fiver a time during the week (which in my pool of friends seems to be the norm) isn't going to have a pile of manilla envelopes blocking the doorway. 

Perhaps the calling card of the moron here is being convinced that they constantly know better than the bookie. 

That’s a bit different to someone who regularly bets being a moron.

I put a tenner on most weeks safe in the knowledge I probably won’t win. I usually only bet on large odds so the payout is huge if I do. As such, mostly lose, but it doesn’t cause me any financial issues.

What you’re referring to there is addiction and mental illness and probably doesn’t belong on the moron thread.

6 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

It's a bit like how doing the lottery is really a donation.  There are ways to maximise your chances and notice little niches in the market etc. (the Hamilton U20s were a good example a few years back.  They were pumping teams every week yet were never favourites!).  Surely in the vast vast majority of cases though, even with a few wins here and there, in the long run you'd have more money if you didn't do it at all.

Over the course of a year/lifetime most gamblers will amost certainly end up at a loss but where's the fun in saving £520 a year as opposed to winning £100 or so a few times throughout the year when you are least expecting it on the back of a tenner you can afford to lose?

Also, if you fire a fiver in the swear jar for every time you say "f**k sake" on a Saturday at 5pm, it should balance itself out. 

WHEN THE FUN STOPS, STOP.

7 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Doing nothing about it and letting it affect your immediate family to the point of homelessness is gross moronic behaviour. Take some responsibility.

I'm not saying that these people are doing nothing wrong, of course they're responsible for their actions, but being in the middle of a horrible addiction I doubt anyone would make sensible, reasoned or logical decisions.  

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Doing nothing about it and letting it affect your immediate family to the point of homelessness is gross moronic behaviour. Take some responsibility.

^^ People who believe this.

See also, people who would tell a depressed person to "pull yourself together".

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
35 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:
Thinking that a signing the club you support makes is a personal reflection on you.

Expand

If a player has done something really shit and then signs for your club, some folk seem to equate that with you supporting that player's action.

Just now, Bairnardo said:
1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:
If a player has done something really shit and then signs for your club, some folk seem to equate that with you supporting that player's action.

Ahh... You mean the point scoring thing

Pretty much.

37 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Well, it certainly depends how defensive they all get about 'their player'.

#ClydeVictimBlamers