Thistle v Ayr 27/10/18

Think most of us will let Caldwell away with Saturday, but yet another defeat on Saturday will definitely start the alarm bells ringing. I am hoping he has a gut out of guys that have underperformed so far this season (that could be most of the team!) and give Coulibaly, Quitongo, Mutumbo, McCarthy and Fitzpatrick the nod. We need to inject pace and skill  into the team and  these guys are long overdue a chance. Can't see Shankland not scoring against our defence so I will go for an entertaining 2-2 draw!

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Why will losing to Ayr start alarm bells ringing? We're shite and they've comfortably beaten us twice already this season.

It will mean that we are not getting the usual  " new manager bounce"

Doubt we'll get 4/1 on Ayr like the last time they rolled up to Firhill but I still think they'll be a silly price.

Quitongo and Coulibaly to start please, Miles Storey to be publicly executed at half time, pour encourager les autres

Think McCall has a few big calls to make this week. McDaid will be getting irritated with his lack of starting opportunities and another good sub appearance must have him starting this one.

Bell with Rose for me has been our most comfortable centre half pairing. It’s hard not to have Adams starting, but another great option to have from the bench.

Moore comes under the same category as McDaid. There’s only so long you will be happy being the go to guy from the bench. Sounded like he helped turn the game on Saturday coming on for Moff. For Saturday, I’d be tempted to go with:

Doohan

Geggan Rose Bell Smith

McDaid Murdoch Kerr Forrest

Moore Shankland

Subs: Hare-Reid, Harvie, Adams, Docherty, Crawford, McGuffie, Moffat 

Going for 2–1 Ayr, Shankland and McDaid for Ayr.

It’s a mark of how fucking terrible we are that Declan McDaid is in a team far better than ourselves.

Declan fucking McDaid.

We’re pish, and while Caldwell should, and hopefully will, improve us going forward there’s absolutely nothing he can do with our absolute shambles of a defence. I would say hopefully he’s able to bring in a few free agents, but that’s how we ended up with Martin Woods so I’m happy to wait until January.

The defence, unfortunately, picks itself and I think Bannigan and Slater will keep their places. If McCarthy is fit, I’d like to see him play as well. Couleybaly and Fitzpatrick to hopefully start, Quitongo up front and Miles Storey to be as far away from the pitch as possible. It’s remarkable that he’s looked somehow even more out his depth having dropped a division.

I’ll go for a wildly optimistic 2-2.

I don't have anything against McDaid, he couldn't break into the team , didn't really show much when he did get a run of games, and disappointed in his loan spell at Cowdenbeath as well, seemed more interested in Instagram likes and coloured boots. Fair play to him for working his way back up, when he left us I thought he'd be playing juniors by now.

Maybe worth giving Melbourne a start, but not at right back this time? Penrice looks a shadow of the player he was 2 months ago, never mind what he must have been like for Livi last year. I was hoping Gordon might be worth a run at right back but he seems gubbed for a while. There's no one else who could really fill in, McCarthy might be the slowest player in the squad, and Spittal at RB would probably be worse.

26 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I don't have anything against McDaid, he couldn't break into the team , didn't really show much when he did get a run of games, and disappointed in his loan spell at Cowdenbeath as well, seemed more interested in Instagram likes and coloured boots. Fair play to him for working his way back up, when he left us I thought he'd be playing juniors by now.

Maybe worth giving Melbourne a start, but not at right back this time? Penrice looks a shadow of the player he was 2 months ago, never mind what he must have been like for Livi last year. I was hoping Gordon might be worth a run at right back but he seems gubbed for a while. There's no one else who could really fill in, McCarthy might be the slowest player in the squad, and Spittal at RB would probably be worse.

He still likes that kind of stuff, dyeing the top half of his hair blonde was the latest one, although glad to see it's gone now. He's definitely capable to play at this level, improved hugely since when he joined

He still likes his Instagram but he’s far more focused on his football now.

McCall seems to get the best out of players that have high potential but aren’t showing it. Shankland and McDaid being two of them.

I thought Melbourne  looked pretty good at left back and Penrice looked better in midfield to be honest. We are sort of limited to how we change our team as yet again our squad has no balance what so ever.  

I’d like to see us go

Bell

Elliot        Keown            Mcginty   Melbourne

Fitzpatrick  Bannigan      Slater    Penrice 

Quitongo    Coulibaly 

Try and push Fitzpatrick forward to support the Strikers as much as possible as Penrice can tuck in as a more central player, then it’s more like a 4-3-3 . 

5 hours ago, Sting777 said:

Think most of us will let Caldwell away with Saturday, but yet another defeat on Saturday will definitely start the alarm bells ringing. I am hoping he has a gut out of guys that have underperformed so far this season (that could be most of the team!) and give Coulibaly, Quitongo, Mutumbo, McCarthy and Fitzpatrick the nod. We need to inject pace and skill  into the team and  these guys are long overdue a chance. Can't see Shankland not scoring against our defence so I will go for an entertaining 2-2 draw!

You Can’t put up with the last 18 months of going downhill then get on a new managers back after a couple of games. More so when not a single player are his signings. He deserves the January window at the very least if not the summer one - the sole purpose is to avoid another relegation 

It will mean that we are not getting the usual  " new manager bounce"

Think that’s a bit of a myth haven’t seen a new manager bounce for Falkirk, Morton have been up and down since they brought in Johansson, United got a bounce against us (but we are dreadful) but still didn’t beat 10 man Inverness at home, Dundee didn’t get it on Saturday from McIntyre either 

No matter what starting XI Caldwell picks just now there will be guaranteed incompetence and shitebaggery in the team, such is the legacy of the last 18 months. All pressure just now should be applied instead to our bumbling board, who have already failed miserably on their main objective for the season, to back the new manager as far as possible. Barring a catastrophic January-May leaving us in the bottom two, Caldwell's impact shouldn't really be assessed until roughly this time next year.

Archived