QotS v Falkirk

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

More stat padding for Dobbie against a diabolical defence leading to moonhowlers wanting him in the Scotland squad, imo.

I'm actually with you on this.

I love Dobbie much more than is appropriate. 

The 'top scorer in Europe', 'should be capped' stuff however is rather silly.  In fairness, even the great man himself  said as much on Sportsound the other night.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:
Falkirk fans claim the "Grangemouth" jibes don't affect them but you can guarantee one of them will bite every single time someone uses it.
Dobbie took a day off at EEP so expect him to fill his boots against the second worst team in the SPFL.

Why is Grangemouth in quote marks?

I wonder if it's because he's quoting someone.

31 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm actually with you on this.

I love Dobbie much more than is appropriate. 

The 'top scorer in Europe', 'should be capped' stuff however is rather silly.  In fairness, even the great man himself  said as much on Sportsound the other night.

Nonesense. Only Griffiths and Naismith should realistically be  in front of him at Nations League level. Griffiths has already thrown the toys out of the pram and unless that changes we are relying on a no mark to Naismith as  back up.

Seriously, who would you rather have in the team right now (both international and club), McBurnie or Dobbie? 

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:
Falkirk fans claim the "Grangemouth" jibes don't affect them but you can guarantee one of them will bite every single time someone uses it.
Dobbie took a day off at EEP so expect him to fill his boots against the second worst team in the SPFL.

Why is Grangemouth in quote marks?

Don’t get that either. Or the big deal that one Falkirk supporter  bites  every time (and I am quoting here) ““Grangemouth”” is utilised as a jibe. I wonder who it is?

2 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

Nonesense. Only Griffiths and Naismith should realistically be  in front of him at Nations League level. Griffiths has already thrown the toys out of the pram and unless that changes we are relying on a no mark as  back up.

Seriously, who would you rather have in your team right now (both international and club), McBurnie or Dobbie?

I think Dobbie would be very exposed at that level and largely anonymous.

Honestly, I'm not having a go at him.  Even before his return, he was my all-time favourite Queens player by miles.  There was maybe a case for saying the Swansea/Blackpool version deserved that kind of recognition.  This one, rationally, doesn't.

He lacks athleticism and his influence is annulled by attentive, strong defending.  He needs plenty of the ball to be effective and wouldn't get that.

Nonesense. Only Griffiths and Naismith should realistically be  in front of him at Nations League level. Griffiths has already thrown the toys out of the pram and unless that changes we are relying on a no mark to Naismith as  back up.
Seriously, who would you rather have in the team right now (both international and club), McBurnie or Dobbie? 

McBurnie. Its not close. And its every, single, time.

6 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

Nonesense. Only Griffiths and Naismith should realistically be  in front of him at Nations League level. Griffiths has already thrown the toys out of the pram and unless that changes we are relying on a no mark as  back up.

Seriously, who would you rather have in your team right now (both international and club), McBurnie or Dobbie? 

McBurnie. Sorry, much as I admire Dobbie’s prowess this season, he has scored big time against an Ayr defence that conceded twice to this season’s joke Falkirk side, and of course, got a hat trick against Messrs Muirhead Harrison and Dallison. That’s all fine and well, but I would venture there has been no international defence from anywhere that can plumb the depths of that unholy trinity.

I respect your opinion gentlemen, but for me McBurnie wouldn’t get in front of Dobbie for club or country. Yes McBurnie has time on his side, but right now there is no comparison.

Dobbie might succeed in a Scotland team doing well. Probably in the more withdrawn role he played for Swansea. He’d be lucky to touch the ball twice in 90 minutes alongside the current rabble.

Andy Robertson looks comfortable at the very highest level when he has a Liverpool shirt on. Under McLeish he looks Sunday Amateur standard. Dobbie is a standout at Scottish Championship level. With the “McLeish effect” applied it could end up quite embarrassing.

I’m enjoying the media exposure we are getting off the back of it but it’s a complete non-starter.

1 minute ago, palmy_cammy said:

Dobbie might succeed in a Scotland team doing well. Probably in the more withdrawn role he played for Swansea. He’d be lucky to touch the ball twice in 90 minutes alongside the current rabble.

Andy Robertson looks comfortable at the very highest level when he has a Liverpool shirt on. Under McLeish he looks Sunday Amateur standard. Dobbie is a standout at Scottish Championship level. With the “McLeish effect” applied it could end up quite embarrassing.

I’m enjoying the media exposure we are getting off the back of it but it’s a complete non-starter.

Spot on .

4 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

This pretty much. As amusing as the whole cap thing is, its completely unrealistic for a 35 year old (36 in 6 weeks) to be capped having played three straight years in a mid-table Championship side no matter how many goals he scores for us. Dobbie is a brilliant player and still very sharp in reactions over 5 - 10 yards. He is peerless at this level still. But he never had the extra half yard of pace to succeed at the very top domestically even at his best, never mind international level. He was unlucky not to be capped about the time he was promoting Swansea and he could still do a very good job for a Scottish Premiership side but so do lots of younger Scots who arent getting capped either.

In truth, he was pretty anonymous at Ibrox a couple of seasons ago, and kept pretty quiet by Motherwell and St Johnstone this season and Partick Thistle last season. He nicked a 90th minute goal at Accies last year after an error caused by Dykes, scored a penalty against St Johnstone and forced a terrific save out of Trevor Carson at Fir Park but in general he has been fairly quiet against bigger / quicker defenders. 

Given games against Albania and particularly Israel at home if we play with a couple of attackers, he wouldnt be the worst option ever but younger players with more in their legs, like McBurnie, are always going to be picked ahead of him.

7 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This pretty much. As amusing as the whole cap thing is, its completely unrealistic for a 35 year old (36 in 6 weeks) to be capped having played three straight years in a mid-table Championship side no matter how many goals he scores for us. Dobbie is a brilliant player and still very sharp in reactions over 5 - 10 yards. He is peerless at this level still. But he never had the extra half yard of pace to succeed at the very top domestically even at his best, never mind international level. He was unlucky not to be capped about the time he was promoting Swansea and he could still do a very good job for a Scottish Premiership side but so do lots of younger Scots who arent getting capped either.

In truth, he was pretty anonymous at Ibrox a couple of seasons ago, and kept pretty quiet by Motherwell and St Johnstone this season and Partick Thistle last season. He nicked a 90th minute goal at Accies last year after an error caused by Dykes, scored a penalty against St Johnstone and forced a terrific save out of Trevor Carson at Fir Park but in general he has been fairly quiet against bigger / quicker defenders. 

Given games against Albania and particularly Israel at home if we play with a couple of attackers, he wouldnt be the worst option ever but younger players with more in their legs, like McBurnie, are always going to be picked ahead of him.

I must admit I am/was swept away with Dobbie for Scotland. There aren't many options out there and many people are fed up with the national set up as it is. Dobbie being capped by his country whilst playing for our club would be fantastic. Someone on the Dobbie fan thread said that why would we  want Dobbie to go which helped changed my opinion because I would rather him terrorizing league defenders. 

As for the game, despite the change of goalkeeper, do Falkirk fans see themselves getting something from this game? I hate games we are perhaps seen as favourites to win. 2-1 win for us but I think this will be a lot tighter than first game this season.

I must admit I am/was swept away with Dobbie for Scotland. There aren't many options out there and many people are fed up with the national set up as it is. Dobbie being capped by his country whilst playing for our club would be fantastic. Someone on the Dobbie fan thread said that why would we  want Dobbie to go which helped changed my opinion because I would rather him terrorizing league defenders. 

As for the game, despite the change of goalkeeper, do Falkirk fans see themselves getting something from this game? I hate games we are perhaps seen as favourites to win. 2-1 win for us but I think this will be a lot tighter than first game this season.

I think if Harkins is missing(?) And Buaben is fit we have much better chance of actually staying in the game rather than meekly waiting until Dobbie decides its time to put us away.

Fasan being suspended is a huge fucking bonus too.

That being said, and could be said of any game against us since he came back, the most important thing is Dobbie having an off day.

It seems to me like we play better away from home, which will still only be good enough if Dobbie is off the boil, since our defence isnt capable of stopping him on their own merit.

I think if Harkins is missing(?) And Buaben is fit we have much better chance of actually staying in the game rather than meekly waiting until Dobbie decides its time to put us away.

Fasan being suspended is a huge fucking bonus too.

That being said, and could be said of any game against us since he came back, the most important thing is Dobbie having an off day.

It seems to me like we play better away from home, which will still only be good enough if Dobbie is off the boil, since our defence isnt capable of stopping him on their own merit.

Is fasan to blame for much of Falkirks predicament? I thought he kept The score respectable last time the sides met. 

Is fasan to blame for much of Falkirks predicament? I thought he kept The score respectable last time the sides met. 
Much of it aye. The defence is pretty soft and the keeper shite. Hard to know who cause more angst in the other, but....

As you have just said, and as the Pars fans said when we played them, he kept the score respectable. That is to say in a game in which we were not competing whatsoever, he pulled out a flashy save or two that folk thought could have added to the score. The often and rather oddly vaunted "shot stopping". In that regard I am sure he is the equal of most in the league. Diving to save shots is the very most basic skill any pro keeper must have.

However, in a tight game (Dundee Utd at home, Morton away, Ayr away) for example, he handed the edge to the opposition and ultimately the win by either getting himself sent off or chucking one in the net, because when having to keep goal rather than just stop shot after shot, he is a fucking calamity.

Mitchell might turn out to be as bad, or hopefully better. But in terms of points cost, he surely cant do any worse.

12 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

couldve done better with the goals in the Queens game and nearly every other game in the league, only clean sheet v Alloa in the league he still managed to make everyone shite themselves with balls he should be picking up or making an effort to clear, like any keeper he can make a few decent saves which outnumber the throwing the ball into his net but its onwards and upwards with Mitchell now, he organises his defence pretty well also which can only help our defence.

I feel we will go into this game looking for 1pt and will get nothing whereas a little pushing for it might be the best option to get that point

Archived