QotS v Falkirk

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At Palmerston today people around me were quickly disappointed that we shot toward covered terrace in first half as they don't like us doing that. Most time we shoot right to left first half, Terregles Street  and towards our own supporters second half.  Who made that decision and what is our record like shooting that way first half? I think it is decent. The sun maybe played a part in the decision

27101806DidMitchellhavetheballundercontrol.jpg&key=dae5c2f09c68a33eace099f228108b2f0c37a2896b8d165c781b49bb1a034649
Pretty clearly a foul.
Yeah, spot on decision tbf to the ref. Get Dobbs off penalties now anyway.
At Palmerston today people around me were quickly disappointed that we shot toward covered terrace in first half as they don't like us doing that. Most time we shoot right to left first half, Terregles Street  and towards our own supporters second half.  Who made that decision and what is our record like shooting that way first half? I think it is decent. The sun maybe played a part in the decision
I assumed Muirhead won the toss.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

We were discussing this.  I'd be interested to see his stats, certainly for this spell.

Like you, I think his record 'feels' quite poor, but of course missed penalties tend to be more memorable than converted ones.  

I certainly didn't feel confident when he stepped forward today, but that's maybe daft.  We need some SD analysis.

I dont think I kept any stats on penalties in his first spell but I definitely recall him missing 2 or 3 and I'm sure he was eventually taken off them. John O'Neill was on them when Dobbie first arrived but stopped being an automatic pick in Dobbie's second season which is how Dobbie got on them. Trying to recall who took over from him, was it Bob Harris? 

He has had his last two saved this season and missed the target in the shoot out at TNS last season. He scored a good few before that though. Will confirm actual numbers when I get to my pc. Cant see him stepping off them though and would be surprised if he is taken off them for having two saved.

Leaving aside recruiting from English lower reaches, was a big overhaul of the squad necessary anyway?

The reasoning was that the squad was not good enough to achieve the aim of promotion. Add to that loan players returning to their clubs and failing to keep Sibbald, Longridge and Welsh meant that the plan of recruiting 9 or 10 new faces became 17.
Obviously where the grand plan fell apart in quite spectacular fashion was the unbelievably chronic standard of player brought in.
Genuinely cannot think of another club making such a self inflicted calamity.

9 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

The reasoning was that the squad was not good enough to achieve the aim of promotion. Add to that loan players returning to their clubs and failing to keep Sibbald, Longridge and Welsh meant that the plan of recruiting 9 or 10 new faces became 17.
Obviously where the grand plan fell apart in quite spectacular fashion was the unbelievably chronic standard of player brought in.
Genuinely cannot think of another club making such a self inflicted calamity.

Way back when John Connolly came to QOS he brought in endless players from the North East of England many of whom were awful. He did discover some gems though.  The biggest issue was that he misjudged the standard of player needed  at a level below this . Hartley had no excuse in that he was presumably recruiting players to win/challenge in a league where he knew the standard but seems to have recruited a squad that is comfortably the worst in the league.

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
5 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
Aye this pretty much. Falkirk had a tame header and were certainly in the game at HT but they never put us under any sustained pressure for any period of time. The first half was equally shite from both sides.

It wasn't pretty today. Falkirk are as bad as they were at TFS but I felt we were poorer than that day. Norman had a good game I felt, my only criticism is that we never really created anything through the middle. Thankfully Todd and Stirling had on days and we had some success from the width.

Jacobs is starting to grind on me. He has a superb knack of being in great positions but his distribution is awful. He made a cracking interception in the first half that may well have resulted in a Falkirk goal otherwise.

Doyle was my personal MoM. He won almost everything and was a voice throughout the game. I appreciate he's supposedly a RB but if Mercer's injury is serious I'd prefer Fordyce out there.

It was a potential banana skin today so 3 points is the main thing. No idea how Alloa failed to at least draw against them. Onto Morton.

As bad as we were at TFS? Away ye go.

I'm tending to agree with you.  At least today,  first half especially,  you were actually getting men forward in numbers and pressurising our defence although just falling short with the end product.  There was plenty of effort with players doubling up on our players in possession and some of our defending was hurried and nervy. Your team's failings of misplaced passing and statuesque defending are still evident though but McKinnon seems to have at least put a wee bit of fight back into the team.  

How many of these guys are there in your side just now?

From the players that played today. Tom Dallison came from Brighton under 23’s, Patrick Brough from Morecambe in League 2, Ruben Sammut on loan from Chelsea under 23’s. On the bench we had Dennon Lewis who we got from Watford under 23’s and Scott Harrison from Hartlepool in the National League.

All the rest of our English signings have already been punted.

Leaving aside recruiting from English lower reaches, was a big overhaul of the squad necessary anyway?

Tbf the day overhaul was started in January where it was clearly needed. So we had a lot of players on loan and then Sibbald, Longridge and Welsh all turned down extending their contracts.

I imagine you guys won the toss and choose to shoot towards that end in the first half.

Just on that was pretty fucking embarrassing that it took around 30 seconds for our players to figure out who was supposed to take kick off.

I imagine you guys won the toss and choose to shoot towards that end in the first half.

Just on that was pretty fucking embarrassing that it took around 30 seconds for our players to figure out who was supposed to take kick off.
They were probably trying to figure out what the round thing was in the middle of the pitch.

8 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Way back when John Connolly came to QOS he brought in endless players from the North East of England many of whom were awful. He did discover some gems though.  The biggest issue was that he misjudged the standard of player needed  at a level below this . Hartley had no excuse in that he was presumably recruiting players to win/challenge in a league where he knew the standard but seems to have recruited a squad that is comfortably the worst in the league.

Yes, the Connolly early days crossed my mind too.

There were important differences though.  As you say, we were at a level below this one and needing to gut a side that should have actually been one below that.  

To be honest, I'm not sure if he did underestimate the level required - it was just that his approach could afford to be scattergun.  Firstly, we were part-time, so the commitment was smaller.  More significantly, it was during the pre-transfer window days, so offloading the duds whence they came was not a problem. 

It was successful in that it uncovered a handful of good ones and was quickly augmented by decent Scottish signings.

This Falkirk case just seems odd though.  I didn't really see any lack of application or effort.  Most of these guys however, just aren't good enough at football.

Archived