QotS v Falkirk

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

Mackinnon is a good manager, and has recognised the fact that most of the players he has aren't good enough to compete at this level. Which is why he's gone to a midfield 5 and tried to make us more solid to grind out points(which would've worked on Saturday but for Fasan's f**k up).

Some of the suggestions on here of going 2 up front and 'going for it' would see us absolutely skudded. I'd even be tempted to try playing without a striker to try and pack the midfield and kick teams off the park.

Mitchell

Kidd Muirhead McGhee Brough

Petravicius McKee Irving Sammut Russell Robson

No Bauben?

I'm with you on this.  
Of course it can't be measured or quantified with certainty, but given how much better than everyone else Dobbie is, it does not require much of a leap to suggest we'd be significantly worse off without him.  Significantly worse would have had us fighting relegation during the last two seasons.

To be fair we had our first win at Tannadice since 1933 without Dobbie playing at all. Dobbie is a vital player for us, but we wouldn’t be as bad as people think without him.

To be fair we had our first win at Tannadice since 1933 without Dobbie playing at all. Dobbie is a vital player for us, but we wouldn’t be as bad as people think without him.
Who would get the bulk of our goals if he wasn't here?

5 hours ago, EdiBairn said:

Mackinnon is a good manager, and has recognised the fact that most of the players he has aren't good enough to compete at this level. Which is why he's gone to a midfield 5 and tried to make us more solid to grind out points(which would've worked on Saturday but for Fasan's f**k up).

Some of the suggestions on here of going 2 up front and 'going for it' would see us absolutely skudded. I'd even be tempted to try playing without a striker to try and pack the midfield and kick teams off the park.

Mitchell

Petravicius McKee Irving Sammut Russell/ Buaben Robson

Just like Craig Levein did. When Dobbie scores,what is plan B ?

12 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

If we didn't have Dobbie chances are we wouldn't go out and play with 10 men. Someone else would play, and other players would be at the club. 

Tantamount to an admission that The Great One is on circa £3k a week... 

Mitchell
Petravicius McKee Irving Sammut Russell/ Buaben Robson
The guy who says I know nothing about football, advocating a formation that still gets talked about years later as one of the stupidest managerial calls ever seen.

Some boy Sheps.

3 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Tantamount to an admission that The Great One is on circa £3k a week... 

Not quite, but it does suggest that he takes up more wage than one player would normally get.  Nothing remotely surprising or contentious about that of course, but it does again raise the question of how exactly, Dobbie is funded.

He offers us something so unusual at this level that he's worth it.  Without him, I think we would be criminally lacking in terms of creating and taking chances.  As regards the league table, I think that would see us in trouble.

Thanks to Brechin being in the league there is no chance we would have been relegated last season. We finished 22 points ahead of Dumbarton. I’m fairly sure another striker would have scored enough goals to maintain some sort of gap with the Sonhamers but it would likely have been reduced.

The league was stupidly tight in 2016/17 and Dobbie probably was the difference as we finished 10 points above bottom of the league Ayr, and 4 points above ninth place Raith.

We can’t categorically prove it one way or the other because we don’t know the quality of his hypothetical replacement. If it was Stewart Kean again we’d be fucked.

I think it would be nigh on impossible for us to be relegated with Dobbie in the side, but that doesn’t make us certainties without him. We’ve only been relegated twice in 30 odd years I think.

12 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Lewis!?!?

As per below

11 hours ago, Trump said:

Lewis?

IMG_2276.jpg

I still feel there is a wee bit to work with, pace and likes a shot. McKinnon's 1st game Lewis was honking, 2nd game dropped and did well as sub, Petra has been honking recently, really not much between them all other than Rudden has youth on his side.

You'd drop Brough who hasn't really done much wrong for a player who isn't the best at defending and hasn't got near the starting 11 this season for 2 managers?

Well aye. But I’d be happy with either Robson or Russell tbh.

I’d disagree as well that he’s not done much wrong. With Fasans red card aye he had plenty of time to deal with it but it initially came from Brough being out of position and letting Tidser (?) rub through on goal.

From the Dunfermline game first goal he dives in which let’s Longridge cut back and get the ball into the box but the centre backs still should’ve dealt with the cross. For the second goal he’s equally at fault with Dallison both made weak as f**k efforts to challenge.

I still feel there is a wee bit to work with, pace and likes a shot. McKinnon's 1st game Lewis was honking, 2nd game dropped and did well as sub, Petra has been honking recently, really not much between them all other than Rudden has youth on his side.

Nah Dennon Lewis is rank. Better option than Haber but that says more about him than anything else.

Once again judging from the LWB position of last season, but I thought Robson was pretty decent at stopping crosses coming in from his side. Brough looked cumbersome in trying to face up Longridge leading to the goal in the pars game but I do agree he hasnt done too much wrong and put in a class ball for Ruddens first at Alloa.

Robson and Russell do seem both to a no go, for whatever reason.

Who would get the bulk of our goals if he wasn't here?

Dykes would be playing as the lone upfront you’d think so he would get more, as would the 2 to 3 others forward players we’d have in youd think. It’s hard to tell. Either way I’d rather have Stephen Dobbie than another 2 or 3 average Championship players, but I don’t think we’d be doomed without him

With a heavy heart, it looks like we will be lining up on Saturday with the same dross yet again. Were we to win (Christ, what am I saying?), we all know that it wouldn’t be a corner turned, it wouldn’t be our season finally getting underway. It would be a freak result, just as the Alloa result is starting to look a bit freakish too.

If we have a great day, and everyone hits their best form, then we should lose by no more than one or two goals. If Dallison and Paton are anywhere near the starting eleven, then Queens could score as many as they feel like.

Awful lot of overestimating of Queens going on here....

We all know Dobbie is a bogeyman to better Falkirk teams than this one, but I would genuinely amazed if we put in a worse performance than the 0-3 at home. As in, I am not sure its even possible.

I dont think Queens can score as many as they want against us. I think if Dobbie doesnt rediscover his shooting boots they will struggle and wont look a great deal better than us.

Would I advise anyone to bet on us? No of course not. But I expect us to compete in this game and wouldnt consider it any sort of shock to get a point out of it or 3 with a bit luck.

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Awful lot of overestimating of Queens going on here....

We all know Dobbie is a bogeyman to better Falkirk teams than this one, but I would genuinely amazed if we put in a worse performance than the 0-3 at home. As in, I am not sure its even possible.

I dont think Queens can score as many as they want against us. I think if Dobbie doesnt rediscover his shooting boots they will struggle and wont look a great deal better than us.

Would I advise anyone to bet on us? No of course not. But I expect us to compete in this game and wouldnt consider it any sort of shock to get a point out of it or 3 with a bit luck.

Medication. Stop putting it down the sink.

Medication. Stop putting it down the sink.
I dont really think theres anything in any way controversial in what I have said there tbh. Are we fancied to lose here.... Aye. Is there any reason why we shouldnt be able to compete as we have most weeks McKinnon has been here (Pars game the notable exception)... Naw.

Results are going to take a stroke of luck here and there but that can be said of most teams at the foot of leagues. Yet it still happens. That stroke of luck in this case probably needs to be Dobbie missing the chances he invariably makes, finding the bar rather than the top bin etc but if we get rolled over like last time I will be genuinely disappointed as I will have entered the weekend expecting better.

I think we get a point at Morton if not for Fasan the fanny. This patter that scraping a point here and there is some insurmountable challenge doesnt square with the quality of the other teams (Dobbie excepted in this case)

Even if Dobbie has a stinker, our defence will be traumatised enough to all concentrate on him alone.

One of the abiding memories of this season (in the game that we won), was watching every outfield player gravitate towards the ball in a style of football you only see at youth level. If that happens again wrt Dobbie, sure as eggs are eggs, someone else will score for them. While the old “shots on target” stat never tells the whole truth, the fact that we create so few chances is a marker of how much we are struggling.

If we try and sit in for a point, we will get beaten again.

Archived