Scotland back up to 2 Champions League places

GordonS

2 hours ago, Marten said:

And a direct spot in the last 32 for the champions as well, good for Scottish women's football. :) 

Ah good point. Those groups, with only one going through and usually having to play all the games abroad, are very tricky. Last time we had two places I don't think Hibs got through.

Last 32 can actually be a bit of a blessing in disguise. You could draw a big side and get horsed and play all of 2 games. Players I know would rather play in a group stage and actually experience the competition. 

Two places doesn't include this seasons competition results (City's last 16).   More down to Russia / Norway having bad periods in the recent 5 years so Scotland move up.  City's QF still in there.    If City beat Barcelona in the 2nd leg (regardless if they go through or not, obviously they are heading out) then we should keep our 2nd spot for 2020-21.  However likely to go back to 1 as the QF leaves.

As RW mentions above it is really tough I think coming in cold for the Last 32.  Great you don't have to qualify but even City being seeded if they get a tough draw then it is very hard.  It is a case there is more like 24 teams could be seeded. Some new clubs rising such as Atleti or Juve not seeded.  Since the PSG QF City as a seeded club drew  Eskilstuna (SWE - finished top 2, a surprise top 2 but still funded well = tough draw because no competition history unseeded), Chelsea (Full time well funded current WSL 1 champs. Then little history in UWCL unseeded) & Kazygurt (Who they should have beat, similar level to City).   They beat Somatio this season who again similar to Kazygurt.    I think City's tough group draw and backs against the wall after losing their opener  got them going in the comp and got momentum. 

When we had two places previously when City lost to Eskilstuna and Kazygurt,  Scotland had Hibs get straight to L32 - drew Bayern really tough first experience in UWCL.  Following season they had their first go at the group stages and not bad, but failed to pick up that second win to probably get out the group.  Hopefully with two years in the memory banks they can perhaps gain a bit of momentum for Scotland and get to the L32 that way.  I think many would like a change up of who wins the league, looks likely City again now for 2018 but if it was Hibs you'd have this daft scenario they'd be into the knockout round as unseeded.  City go into the groups, if progress they are seeded.   If it ends City 1st and Hibs 2nd actually it could work out better for Scotland in terms of City get a good draw even from a cold start they can get through (I think more likely with their competition experience than Hibs at this stage). Hibs get another 3 games to get a run going to qualify and get points that way for making the L32.

On 25/10/2018 at 10:12, BroadcastCallum said:

As RW mentions above it is really tough I think coming in cold for the Last 32.  Great you don't have to qualify but even City being seeded if they get a tough draw then it is very hard.  It is a case there is more like 24 teams could be seeded. Some new clubs rising such as Atleti or Juve not seeded.  Since the PSG QF City as a seeded club drew  Eskilstuna (SWE - finished top 2, a surprise top 2 but still funded well = tough draw because no competition history unseeded), Chelsea (Full time well funded current WSL 1 champs. Then little history in UWCL unseeded) & Kazygurt (Who they should have beat, similar level to City).   They beat Somatio this season who again similar to Kazygurt.    I think City's tough group draw and backs against the wall after losing their opener  got them going in the comp and got momentum. 

Do you know if there's any discussion about a 'proper' Champions League, with the big clubs having a group stage? If Glasgow and Hibs could get 6 matches against a mix of standard in the last 32 clubs it could really help them make the next step and give players below the international level a chance to play against the best.

On 10/27/2018 at 12:17, GordonS said:

Do you know if there's any discussion about a 'proper' Champions League, with the big clubs having a group stage? If Glasgow and Hibs could get 6 matches against a mix of standard in the last 32 clubs it could really help them make the next step and give players below the international level a chance to play against the best.

I haven't heard anything mooted.  Big problem is probably only half of the last 32 could afford to travel/stay for 3 games then 3 games cover hosting costs of game group stage.  That is why the group stage is utilised as a 8 day mini-tournament at one base.  Also with some nations not full time (like Scotland) City or Hibs would end up possibly weakened with players working.  In recent years City haven't had 1 or 2 in away squads for knockout ties (Just 1 game) due to work.

Archived