Stenhousemuir -vs- Forfar Athletic

The biggest game of the SPFL weekend takes place at Ochilview tomorrow as Stenhousemuir host an under-achieving Forfar Athletic. At the beginning of the season I was expecting big things from the Loons - they recruited well and added some good players to a fine squad and looked in good shape for the top four - but it hasn't quite worked out like that and they're floundering towards the bottom of the table with the jobbers.

Stenny are probably taking them on at a good time. They showed tremendous heart in the second half against Montrose a fortnight ago and should be going into this match with confidence. We've done pretty well at home and I hope that continues.

I think we might line up:

- McGuigan -O'Hara -

- Cook - Dickson - Ferry - Paton - Duthie -

- Donaldson - Neill - Tena -

- Smith -

It's certainly doable. I'm looking forward to seeing Ross Meechan back at Ochilview and I hope I get the chance to say hello to him.

Stenhousemuir were abject in the opening half hour and turned in one of the worst performances I've seen in a long time (maybe since the first half against Montrose the other week, come to think of it). They were both shapeless and static, everywhere and nowhere, and Forfar Athletic, led by the excellent Dylan Easton, took full advantage. The Loons had already hit the crossbar and almost forced Connor Duthie into scoring an own goal before Easton tip-toed through some astonishing Stenhousemuir defending and finished from close range. Soon after, John Baird broke through on goal, held off his marker, and shot low and into the net. As good as Forfar were during this period - and they deserve a lot of credit for how they played - Stenny were garbage. Other than goalkeeper Graeme Smith, who played well throughout, the defending was haphazard, the midfield offered little protection and allowed Forfar to breeze through as and when they pleased, and nothing stuck up top.

After Baird's goal, however, Forfar calmed down and the match became more even. Stenhousemuir actually had their opponents pegged back for a period and could have scored through Colin McMenamin, who ballooned a shot over the bar, and Duthie, who checked onto his left foot when he could have netted with a first-time shot. At the half-time whistle we were two goals down and miles off it.

Despite Dale Hilson hitting the post minutes after the restart, the second half was quite competitive. The Warriors reduced the arrears when Morgyn Neill headed hom a corner and they could have equalised shortly afterwards when Marc McCallum got a hand to Alan Cook's rasping shot but, after that, they didn't really threaten again. The match became pretty scrappy, albeit no less entertaining, and Stenny threw what they had at Forfar while the Loons soaked it up and looked to hit them on the counter. They could - and probably should - have added more but a combination of good goalkeeping and the woodwork kept them at bay.

That's the first time I've seen Forfar and it's hard to understand why they were jobbing beneath us after the first quarter. I was really impressed with Easton (even although he fell out of the game) and Thomas Reilly and Mark Hill look the part in the middle of the park. Their incessant give-and-gos in the first 30 minutes confused us and we couldn't handle it. I don't know how good their defence is because it wasn't really tested. It's interesting to see Ross Meechan played at left-back - we only ever fielded him there out of necessity. He did well enough, a decent six-on-10 performance.

What to make of Stenhousemuir? Another Friday night/Sunday morning performance. It's all very well giving it a go after 30 minutes but what's the point when you're already trailing? The defending was so poor at times - I don't know if that was down to a the centre-backs inability to deal with forwards running at them or the midfield for failing to protect them. The ball seemed to work its way towards our penalty box with alarming ease. Graeme Smith played well and made some good saves, Ruaridh Donaldson has been our best player so far this campaign and Seb Ross grafted up top, but that's about it.

Pumped for Airdrieonians already!

Stenhousemuir were abject in the opening half hour and turned in one of the worst performances I've seen in a long time (maybe since the first half against Montrose the other week, come to think of it). They were both shapeless and static, everywhere and nowhere, and Forfar Athletic, led by the excellent Dylan Easton, took full advantage. The Loons had already hit the crossbar and almost forced Connor Duthie into scoring an own goal before Easton tip-toed through some astonishing Stenhousemuir defending and finished from close range. Soon after, John Baird broke through on goal, held off his marker, and shot low and into the net. As good as Forfar were during this period - and they deserve a lot of credit for how they played - Stenny were garbage. Other than goalkeeper Graeme Smith, who played well throughout, the defending was haphazard, the midfield offered little protection and allowed Forfar to breeze through as and when they pleased, and nothing stuck up top.
After Baird's goal, however, Forfar calmed down and the match became more even. Stenhousemuir actually had their opponents pegged back for a period and could have scored through Colin McMenamin, who ballooned a shot over the bar, and Duthie, who checked onto his left foot when he could have netted with a first-time shot. At the half-time whistle we were two goals down and miles off it.
Despite Dale Hilson hitting the post minutes after the restart, the second half was quite competitive. The Warriors reduced the arrears when Morgyn Neill headed hom a corner and they could have equalised shortly afterwards when Marc McCallum got a hand to Alan Cook's rasping shot but, after that, they didn't really threaten again. The match became pretty scrappy, albeit no less entertaining, and Stenny threw what they had at Forfar while the Loons soaked it up and looked to hit them on the counter. They could - and probably should - have added more but a combination of good goalkeeping and the woodwork kept them at bay.
That's the first time I've seen Forfar and it's hard to understand why they were jobbing beneath us after the first quarter. I was really impressed with Easton (even although he fell out of the game) and Thomas Reilly and Mark Hill look the part in the middle of the park. Their incessant give-and-gos in the first 30 minutes confused us and we couldn't handle it. I don't know how good their defence is because it wasn't really tested. It's interesting to see Ross Meechan played at left-back - we only ever fielded him there out of necessity. He did well enough, a decent six-on-10 performance.
What to make of Stenhousemuir? Another Friday night/Sunday morning performance. It's all very well giving it a go after 30 minutes but what's the point when you're already trailing? The defending was so poor at times - I don't know if that was down to a the centre-backs inability to deal with forwards running at them or the midfield for failing to protect them. The ball seemed to work its way towards our penalty box with alarming ease. Graeme Smith played well and made some good saves, Ruaridh Donaldson has been our best player so far this campaign and Seb Ross grafted up top, but that's about it.
Pumped for Airdrieonians already!
Needs more detail to be a worthwhile post..

1 hour ago, Loonytoons said:

Baird was definitely better but wouldn't say excellent, first touch was dreadful at times. Best I've seen him though.

Not everything came off for him but he didn't half put a shift in and he could've had 2/3 assists to go with his goal.

[emoji1]

I'm sure Stenny's goal came from an exceptionally dubious free kick.
A well worked goal though and but for some poor finishing, could have pegged it back.
Strange game. Hit the woodwork 3 times yet Stenny could have levelled and kicked on for a win during out 2nd half falling asleep. Entertaining enough game though.

still slightly baffled as to why Dylan Easton was subbed off with about 20 odd minutes still to go?
He was running the Stenny defence ragged!

Crazy to think we could have scored 5/6 today we were exceptional for parts of the game but constant little switches off in play keep coming back to haunt us, got worried when Stenny brought one back!

Archived