What's The Worst Thing You Have Ever Seen?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in my BB days I was working towards my Queen's Badge and had to do some sort of community volunteering. I decided to get my First Aid certificate and became a member of the St. Andrew's Ambulance association, and used to be at things like football matches, sport events and concerts.

We used to cover the Scottish Open at Gleneagles, and if it was wet there would regularly be people hurt by sliding and falling due to having the wrong footwear on. One woman in particular who had on high heels, slid down a hill and landed in a bunker and sufferered a very bad compound fracture to her leg, which was of the shinbone sticking out variety. Not pleasant.

We also used to cover motocross at Glennifer Braes, and the worst I saw up there was a guy who had a torsion fracture of his left leg, which left him with his foot pointing almost backwards. We didn't even attempt to take his boot off for that one before packing him off to hospital.

Strangely the injuries with lots of blood were usually not that bad,  but it was the ones with bits pointing the wrong way that stayed with me.

Archived