Montrose v Airdrie, 20th Oct.

Poor all over the park today. We made an Airdrie side that’s had a lot of problems this season look very good.

First goal was a very soft penalty and goals two and three from dreadful defensive blunders.

Montrose won a title last season through a rock solid defence and having the best striker in League Two. This season our defence is leaky and confidence shot and we have absolutely nothing going forward, other than young Antoniazzi  who made a nuisance of himself.

Barring a decent fifteen minute spell at the beginning of the second half that was demoralising stuff. Without urgently trawling the ranks of unattached players for a striker who can hold the ball up, and a very good window in January, a long winter of struggle lies ahead. Very disappointing after the foundations laid last year, to progress.

Nothing is determined by league positions in late October, but performances and results like today’s can’t be allowed to continue indefinitely. The manager has a lot of moving players on to do in the next window, and must be able to find a striker without a club to bring in.

Still absolutely fucking raging that my train was cancelled and I had to miss the game but this was tempered by a cracking result. It's good to finally get a win again and hopefully, we can kick on a bit from here. Was interested before the game in whether or not Fitzy and Proctor would make any changes to Findlay's last side. Good to see them do so and get us organised and seemingly playing with a bit of confidence. Good to see Duffy back playing and amongst the goals too. He's scored 5 goals in all competitions so far and he's barely featured. A comfortable away win, a clean sheet and kept a lead. I'll take it. 

I said before the game that I'd have taken a draw, so I'm pretty delighted with a 3-0 win.  I thought the team as  a whole played well, and another two goals or so wouldn't have flattered us.  If nothing else, today showed how much we'd missed Duffy, who made a real difference up front.   The defence was pretty solid, especially the two centre halfs. 

Montrose were pretty poor, and apart from Antoniazzi - who looked like a decent player, they didn't have anyone who looked like they were going to cause us many problems.  Hutton did have two very fine saves, but they came when we were already 2-0 and 3-0 up.  Aside from the start of the second half, they created very little - if they had a serious chance in the first 45 I've forgotten it.

All in all, a good day for the decent travelling support, an enjoyable trip to visit a ground (and town) I've never been to before, and we are 100% going to win the league now.

I said before the game that I'd have taken a draw, so I'm pretty delighted with a 3-0 win.  I thought the team as  a whole played well, and another two goals or so wouldn't have flattered us.  If nothing else, today showed how much we'd missed Duffy, who made a real difference up front.   The defence was pretty solid, especially the two centre halfs. 
Montrose were pretty poor, and apart from Antoniazzi - who looked like a decent player, they didn't have anyone who looked like they were going to cause us many problems.  Hutton did have two very fine saves, but they came when we were already 2-0 and 3-0 up.  Aside from the start of the second half, they created very little - if they had a serious chance in the first 45 I've forgotten it.
All in all, a good day for the decent travelling support, an enjoyable trip to visit a ground (and town) I've never been to before, and we are 100% going to win the league now.
I totally agree. Their main tactic was long balls from the wings and corners which we handled. Hutton is edging my POT /first quarter.

14 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:
14 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:
I totally agree. Their main tactic was long balls from the wings and corners which we handled. Hutton is edging my POT /first quarter.

I have been overcome with confidence but will hold back on winning the league.

Agreed. 

I know most of it's tongue in cheek but talk of winning the league, based on the performances I've seen, is well wide of the mark.

First time seeing the team this season. Thought we looked excellent albeit against a poor team.

Back 4 made up of 4 big gents winning everything and getting the ball up as quick as possible to yhe front three who are all very dangerous.

Midfield 3 just get the ball back and recycle. I know conroy got a lot of stick but liked the look of him.

As mentioned, the front three looked good. Carrick deserved a goal and was unlucky. Victoria (spelling) looked class. Holds the ball up and beats men for fun.

My only gripe was that we didn’t get victoria on the ball more. However, there are loads of positives for the new manager. Appointing him full time is a big move but should be seen as a very positive one

Archived