Bohemians v East Fife - Diddy Cup 1/4 Final

King Kebab

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

The tournament was getting some heavy stick on Open All Mics on Saturday night for inviting these sides to take part. I don’t think it’s bad idea at all, quite the opposite. As Ali said earlier - this is a great opportunity for fans of wee teams to see their team play outside of Scotland. You ask any Dumbarton fan what they thought of their trip to Wales and they’ll probably tell you it was one of, if not the greatest away trip they’ve ever had supporting the club. It’s a great idea for a tournament and it’s good for the fans. Heaven forbid if we ever got relegated I’d fucking love to draw a team from Dublin or something. It would be quality.

These trips are costing clubs thousands of pounds and leaving them heavily out of pocket. A drop in the ocean to wealthy outfits like St Johnstone maybe but not to the majority of clubs. The loss of revenue is compounded further by the nonsense of important Saturday league games being cancelled to accommodate it. Falkirk are due to play Ross County a week on Saturday but still have no idea if this game will go on as scheduled so fans cannot plan travel etc. A joke, but it's only diddy club fans being majorly inconvenienced so who gives a toss?

If they won't sack it, then get it back to what it was, bin the colts and non-Scottish clubs, get it played on midweeks only with no interference in the league programme and done and dusted by November or December.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm actually OK with the Celtic teams getting thrown in here, the away trip at the weekend would have been absolutely fantastic were it not for what happened. The SPFL need to compensate the Scottish teams more IMO as, whilst I can't speak specifics, I'd imagine the club took a financial sting at the weekend paying for return flights for what I can assume must be at least 20-25 people and accommodation, airport transfers with food etc most likely chucked in there too. The Colts, as always, can get in the bin.  

23 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Kicking out the Welsh, Irish and English teams would be a ridiculous overreaction, it's literally the only interesting point in this competition. Before the match you had East Fife fans buzzing out there tits and according to some posts you had 500/600 there, would you have taken that to any game in Scotland? Absolutely not. 

Award the tie to East Fife. 

Agree with that.

Visiting new grounds/teams is the only point of interest in the competition, certainly  not the Colt Teams!

No interest in revisiting the same old places.

I agree the SPFL should be funding clubs more when travelling outwith Scotland! Let's not forget our home game was postponed to accommodate a tie that was supposed to be played in November and that's cost us money too as there won't be as many in attendance for a rearranged midweek league game. Fook me all this could have been easily avoided but unfortunately Neil Doncaster couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 00:25, HibeeJibee said:

Crusaders v Livi having to be played again.
after Livingston won the tie it had to be voided and played again on midweek due to a suspended player.

Phantom 4th sub.
I can't recall the tie off-hand (possibly involved Ayr?) but a club wasn't allowed their 4th sub in extra-time as the match officials hadn't been briefed on the rules/vice versa

Wrong penalty shoot-out.
TNS v Livingston was played using the wrong format of penalty shoot-out (ABBA system) as the match officials hadn't been briefed on the rules

Connah's Quay and the train.
they had to sweat through extra-time at Dumbarton - then head for Queen Street Station in their kit? - as they hadn't allowed enough time to catch their train

Pair of Eire clubs being refused places
Bray defaulted on wages so were replaced by Limerick. Hardly were they announced (same day?) when they couldn't enter due to financial difficulties...

then St Pats not even wanting a slot.
... their slot then passed to St Patrick's who in a ringing endorsement of the tournament essentially said "thanks but no thanks". Sligo finally took the slot.

Bangor getting debarred.
Bangor qualified, having been runners-up in last season's Welsh Premier, but failed to obtain an FAW licence and were relegated. Connah's Quay took the slot.

Bohemians v East Fife being delayed 3 months as they were off on holiday.
today's tie was supposed to be 11 weeks ago. It was delayed as Bohemians couldn't field a team in their off-season.

Now today's debacle.

EDIT: Although not directly involving non-Scottish sides - you could also add the fact 2 English 5th tier sides were invited this season even though there wasn't space.

This meant that 2 Lowland and 2 Highland teams, who had been invited and finished 3rd & 4th in their leagues, had to unexpectedly play-off to get in.

In the Lowland's case East Stirlingshire won away to BSCG... so the club who finished 4th played in the tournament proper, but the club who finished 3rd didn't!

I also forgot that last season Inverness had to wait an age until their SF v Crusaders got confirmed as it clashed with Irish League Cup Final weekend.

SPFL The Spfl are going to cover their backs at every opportunity.  So I would think that an email to Irn Bru management would have more success in getting a fair response to the issue. It would be good to copy all relevant Scottish clubs into this . This debacle as with previous  debacles in this saga does nothing for the sponsors.

Alternatively  a protest outside Spfl offices.

Or if anyone has access to a mobile muck spreader that might be an idea 

1 minute ago, rob71 said:

Also just listened to Darren Young’s interview and thought he summed things up perfectly, looked at it from the teams point of view as well as all of us fans who travelled.

Anyone got a link to this?

2 hours ago, flyfifer48 said:

Spfl now not meeting today but are pboning Bohemians to sort it out ffs this is hetting more farcical.  Just listened to Darren Young on BBC  radio. He was articulate and reasoned but you could hear his anger. Great interview 

This sums the SPFL up . All reason goes out the window when a problem crops up.   There will be new rulings being written as we speak to cover their amateurish arses. 

This story rivals their dealing of Sevco entering the league and their warnings of armageddon. 

5 hours ago, flyfifer48 said:

Spfl now not meeting today but are pboning Bohemians to sort it out ffs this is hetting more farcical.  Just listened to Darren Young on BBC  radio. He was articulate and reasoned but you could hear his anger. Great interview 

What's to discuss?

"Oh hello, is that Bohemians? This is the SPFL... The SPFL... The Scottish Professional Footb... oh aye, you remember us, good.  Sorry, you're busy? Ok, aye, we'll call back. Sorry to trouble you"

"Oh hello, is that Bohemians? This is the SPFL... The SPFL... The Scottish... aye, us again. Well, we want to talk about the missed fixture on Saturday.... Saturday ... aye, there was a game meant to be on. Aye there wis. Against East Fife. E...A...S.... aye, East Fife. Now when you said you couldn't play in November... aye, you did warn us, ever so sorry and that but we moved the game to Feb 2nd... Aye, we did... We did so and we faxed you about it. A fax. It's a way of sending .... aye, so you got it.  

Right...right...cold weather...right...our fault...right...we should reimburse you...aye... right... ok, aye, got that. So anyway, we were thinking of maybe going to, kinda like, eh, throw you out of the tournament .... if that's ok with you of course and we're really sorry you know. Aye, aye, ok, your financial outlay, aye, inconvenience to Irish League,  ok, right, so you'll phone us back tomorrow and let us know? Or maybe by the end of the week? Ok thank you very much, thank y... hello? Hello?"

5 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

What's to discuss?

"Oh hello, is that Bohemians? This is the SPFL... The SPFL... The Scottish Professional Footb... oh aye, you remember us, good.  Sorry, you're busy? Ok, aye, we'll call back. Sorry to trouble you"

"Oh hello, is that Bohemians? This is the SPFL... The SPFL... The Scottish... aye, us again. Well, we want to talk about the missed fixture on Saturday.... Saturday ... aye, there was a game meant to be on. Aye there wis. Against East Fife. E...A...S.... aye, East Fife. Now when you said you couldn't play in November... aye, you did warn us, ever so sorry and that but we moved the game to Feb 2nd... Aye, we did... We did so and we faxed you about it. A fax. It's a way of sending .... aye, so you got it.  

Right...right...cold weather...right...our fault...right...we should reimburse you...aye... right... ok, aye, got that. So anyway, we were thinking of maybe going to, kinda like, eh, throw you out of the tournament .... if that's ok with you of course and we're really sorry you know. Aye, aye, ok, your financial outlay, aye, inconvenience to Irish League,  ok, right, so you'll phone us back tomorrow and let us know? Or maybe by the end of the week? Ok thank you very much, thank y... hello? Hello?"

We met some locals in the pub before the game and they told us that some of the bohemians committee/board did not even know there was a game on that Saturday.The rest of what you have written is probably about right as well.

3 minutes ago, troy said:

We met some locals in the pub before the game and they told us that some of the bohemians committee/board did not even know there was a game on that Saturday.The rest of what you have written is probably about right as well.

'sakes

9 hours ago, Marten said:

I've got no problem with the foreign sides as long as it's dealt with properly. I'd love to see some HL/LL sides replace the colts though. I don't think it's right to just have all HL/LL with Championship, L1 & L2 in a 64 team tournament. That is because the bottom of the HL/LL (especially the former) is really too poor for this competition. Imagine Ross County v Fort William, that would be absolute murder...

County could always play their Colts. Oh no, wait a minute...

So Bohs punted out but in a face-saving-kind-of-move-a-long-nothing-too-see-here-SPFL-kind-of-way!!!

Wonder how much "hush money" they got out of it???

Archived