What's The Worst Pain You Have Ever Experienced?

Dee Man

1 minute ago, mathematics said:

Had my first ever migraine a couple of weeks back. Absolutely brutal, and shat all over breaking bones, operations, and the aforementioned hot frying pan. Pain was so that that I wanted to die, but Mrs Mathematics was at work at the time.

Aye, I get headaches sometimes too, but you don't see me taking time off work because of it. Just go out for a brisk walk and that'll sort it out.

^^^ the kind of bollocks you'll need to get used to hearing

2 hours ago, mathematics said:

Had my first ever migraine a couple of weeks back. Absolutely brutal, and shat all over breaking bones, operations, and the aforementioned hot frying pan. Pain was so that that I wanted to die, but Mrs Mathematics was at work at the time.

Started suffering from them about three or four years ago and at first couldn't put my finger on what was causing it, just knew my brain was fuzzy, my head hurt and doing simple things I used to do without thinking became a major ordeal.

If you haven't been given any medication yet and find you need something ask you doc for Notriptyline, has made my life a hundered times better. Migraines have got less and less frequent to the point I haven't had one for about 8 weeks. Will likely be on this now for life as a prevantative, but can live with that rather than the alternative.

3 hours ago, bobbykdy said:

Started suffering from them about three or four years ago and at first couldn't put my finger on what was causing it, just knew my brain was fuzzy, my head hurt and doing simple things I used to do without thinking became a major ordeal.

If you haven't been given any medication yet and find you need something ask you doc for Notriptyline, has made my life a hundered times better. Migraines have got less and less frequent to the point I haven't had one for about 8 weeks. Will likely be on this now for life as a prevantative, but can live with that rather than the alternative.

Haven’t had once since. Praying to the old gods and the new that I never have another.

18 hours ago, mathematics said:

I get them, but I think I've lucked out in as much as the ones I get are what they call silent migraines where you don't develop an actual headache. When I get them maybe once every year or two, my head starts feeling a bit fuzzy and my vision gets disturbed - at its worst it can feel that I'm viewing the world through a cracked pane of glass - but that's about it. I know a guy who gets the "suicide" cluster headaches and from what he's told me they sound brutal.

In terms of the worst -momentary - pain I've ever experienced, probably getting a bone set without anaesthetic...I'd gone to the hospital with a burst nose and the doctor had said to come back in like ten days to get it set under GA. For reasons best known to myself I'd asked if he could just do it there and then. Big set of tweezer things one up each nostril and the doc basically knelt on me applying a steadily increasing pressure on my beak till there was an almighty "CRUNCH" like a gunshot going off in my head and an instant of blinding intense pain.

That was it though - I'd take it again in a minute over the likes of tearing intercostal muscles which I've also done.

On 19/09/2022 at 11:16, Hillonearth said:

I get them, but I think I've lucked out in as much as the ones I get are what they call silent migraines where you don't develop an actual headache. When I get them maybe once every year or two, my head starts feeling a bit fuzzy and my vision gets disturbed - at its worst it can feel that I'm viewing the world through a cracked pane of glass - but that's about it. I know a guy who gets the "suicide" cluster headaches and from what he's told me they sound brutal.

In terms of the worst -momentary - pain I've ever experienced, probably getting a bone set without anaesthetic...I'd gone to the hospital with a burst nose and the doctor had said to come back in like ten days to get it set under GA. For reasons best known to myself I'd asked if he could just do it there and then. Big set of tweezer things one up each nostril and the doc basically knelt on me applying a steadily increasing pressure on my beak till there was an almighty "CRUNCH" like a gunshot going off in my head and an instant of blinding intense pain.

That was it though - I'd take it again in a minute over the likes of tearing intercostal muscles which I've also done.

Occular migraine.

I've not had one for a couple of years but used to get them every two or three months. They're a pain at the time as it's so hard to concentrate but I always felt really shitty after them. First time it happened was pretty scary as I had no idea what was going on.

On 18/09/2022 at 18:42, bobbykdy said:

Propranolol & Zolmitriptan for me - the former I take daily, which reduces migraine frequency drastically, and the latter when a big one is kicking off. Takes about an hour to kick in and, if I'm lucky, I can feel it coming early enough that it never gets to the crippling pain stage. Almost always works, with the side effects of being a bit tired and dopey, hypersensitive skin, and a very pleasant rush of euphoria.

Took until I was forty years old to realise that everyone doesn't wander round all day with some form of headache, as multiple doctors had told me that I didn't have migraines because I never have the colour auras that people associate with them. Finally mentioned it to a locum GP who had similar migraines and gave me a script for the meds he was on. Wish I could see him again to say thanks.

49 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Propranolol & Zolmitriptan for me - the former I take daily, which reduces migraine frequency drastically, and the latter when a big one is kicking off. Takes about an hour to kick in and, if I'm lucky, I can feel it coming early enough that it never gets to the crippling pain stage. Almost always works, with the side effects of being a bit tired and dopey, hypersensitive skin, and a very pleasant rush of euphoria.

Took until I was forty years old to realise that everyone doesn't wander round all day with some form of headache, as multiple doctors had told me that I didn't have migraines because I never have the colour auras that people associate with them. Finally mentioned it to a locum GP who had similar migraines and gave me a script for the meds he was on. Wish I could see him again to say thanks.

Also take propanolol for tachycardia/BP,  both that and migraines started approximately the same time funnily enough. Propanolol works well for me on the heart side of things but didn't seem to do much for the migraines however found the Nortriptyline to be pretty effective. Guess it is just a matter of finding what works for each individual, I pity people who suffer with these and find nothing works.