Ever sat in the away section of your teams ground?

The upcoming invasion of the St Mirren home end by Kilmarnock fans this Saturday got me thinking about the opposite issue (to some extent) - have you ever sat in the away end of your teams home?

I’ve been going to Rugby Park since 1995.....first real game I remember was I think Blackburn who opened our new ground.....and I’ve never once watched a game from the away/Chadwick stand end. That’s 23 years visiting a place and only having seen 3/4 of it.

Obviously the view at RP is extremely similar for our 3 newer stands but this won’t be the case at all grounds....the away end could have a far worse view at some places.

A couple of times, especially when we were really shit for a few years there, I considered going into the away end purely because where I parked put me at that side and I had to walk “the long way” down to the East stand entrance.

So have you ever sat in the “wrong” end?

PS - first time I went to Fir Park via car I clearly parked in a poor location and the walk from the club shop side of Fir Park to the away end round the edge some kind of cemetery or field or something made me wish that I had gone to the home end that day.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't recall sitting in the away section in the South Stand at Pittodrie.  That section has been open to home fans for various games over the years.

However I have attended a game at Pittodrie where we were the away team.  That was when Inverness were groundsharing.  If I remember correctly Inverness had the Main Stand while we got the RDS.  The South Stand and Merkland were closed.

Back in my stupid youth when I was still a Celtic fan, I went in the away area for games against Partizan Belgrade, Ajax (friendly) and Dundee (they sold hardly any of their allocation), but not among away fans.

The view from the away section at Parkhead is unacceptable in a relatively new stadium.

Not the away end, but I was in the directors box at Tynecastle for an Edinburgh Derby. Suited and booted, fed caviar pre-match, mingled with Rod Petrie and a few Hibs reserves, given a tartan rug to stay warm, and within ear shot of then Scotland manager George Burley’s every thought and comment. Would have been fine at any other fixture, but this felt like the most timid way to experience a derby, and I spent the entire time wishing I was stood with the Hibs fans. 

Only moment of note was Derek Riordan getting a free kick in the 93rd minute, still at 0-0. I got up and stood in the exit ready to girfuy every jambo in sight before making a swift getaway. Blasted it somewhere near Wester Hailes instead I think. 

Not whilst it served as an away end as such, but the Bob Shankly stand has been open to home fans on a few occasions. I'm quite glad it was as it kind've bugged me that I hadn't actually been to all of the ground. Think I've been in there twice; once vs Cowden and another vs St Mirren. The latter sticks out as being the time Stevie Mallan put half our team on their arses as he drifted up the park to slot home.

Whilst the stand itself is a mirrored image of the home end behind the other goal, it was quite strange seeing everything else flipped. The new thing that I enjoyed most was being within earshot of the away fans in the Main stand, in particular witnessing the Cowden fans pelt abuse at their own players as they went up the tunnel beneath them at FT.

In a Home game against Ross County, the club were turning away patg in the home end, I think it was due to giving away to many comps or something. But because Ross county would bring a small crowd, they split the away stand and let patg sit in there, thankfully they allowed me in with my season ticket, so I could sit with my folks.

The upcoming invasion of the St Mirren home end by Kilmarnock fans this Saturday got me thinking about the opposite issue (to some extent) - have you ever sat in the away end of your teams home?

I’ve been going to Rugby Park since 1995.....first real game I remember was I think Blackburn who opened our new ground.....and I’ve never once watched a game from the away/Chadwick stand end. That’s 23 years visiting a place and only having seen 3/4 of it.

Obviously the view at RP is extremely similar for our 3 newer stands but this won’t be the case at all grounds....the away end could have a far worse view at some places.

A couple of times, especially when we were really shit for a few years there, I considered going into the away end purely because where I parked put me at that side and I had to walk “the long way” down to the East stand entrance.

So have you ever sat in the “wrong” end?

PS - first time I went to Fir Park via car I clearly parked in a poor location and the walk from the club shop side of Fir Park to the away end round the edge some kind of cemetery or field or something made me wish that I had gone to the home end that day.

Watched both Scotland games in 97 from the Chadwick, deliberately picked there as hadn't been in and doubted I would ever.

Only time I sat in the away end / south stand was for a European game. I seem to recall it may have been when we played Mypa 47.

We lost 3-1 if I recall.  It was that long ago I have no recollection as to whether it was better than any other stand in terms of view. 

The prestigious Energy Cities Cup came to town, and I witnessed Aberdeen add a star to our badge by beating Viking Stavanger (3-2 if i remember correctly?) from the away end. Only thing I really recall is that the big fence got in the way of the view. 

To flip that around, I was sat in the Main Stand at Dens when Peter Pawlett dived to relegate them. That was pretty special. 

7 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

I can't recall sitting in the away section in the South Stand at Pittodrie.  That section has been open to home fans for various games over the years.

However I have attended a game at Pittodrie where we were the away team.  That was when Inverness were groundsharing.  If I remember correctly Inverness had the Main Stand while we got the RDS.  The South Stand and Merkland were closed.

Whoops, didn't see this response before providing my own - I think you're right about the distribution of supporters but we definitely got at least the away section of the South Stand, probably just for the fun of it.

The first time I went to Tynecastle on my own as a boy I turned up late, got confused and ended up on the Dundee United terracing  by mistake. I just kept schtum and watched it from there.

My dad is colourblind and ended up in the home end at East End park.  Hearts were on poor form at the time so he initially wasn't surprised by being surrounded by people yelling abuse at Hearts players.

Eventually he cottoned on and got himself transferred

Archived