Egg and beans on the same plate?

Are you man enough to handle a fried egg and a portion of beans on the same plate?  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Flatmate of mine from many years ago used to put bacon, sausage and egg in a frying pan along with pure beef dripping.

His piece de resitance was to add a tin of beans to the pan, just prior to tipping the whole greasy mess on to his plate.

Utterly disgusting - not sure if he's still alive.

Sometimes when I've fried some bacon I'll empty the fat out then cook the beans in the same pan. The lingering bacon flavour adds to the beans.

A similar effect can be reached by crunching up a packet of Frazzles and sprinkling them into the beans .

Beans, egg and mushrooms are all delicious and essential items in a cooked breakfast. Anyone saying otherwise should be restricted to a bowl of Rice Krispies for breakfast.

Mushrooms are the work of the devil and should be nowhere near any plate of food, even more so when having a fry up.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Are you illiterate?

Sorry to condense your username. Granny Dyer is my preferred epitaph for you. Can't believe you don't like mushrooms. We had a mushroom bolognese the other night and it was superb. Recipe for you here: 

https://www.gousto.co.uk/cookbook/vegetarian-recipes/chestnut-mushroom-bolognese

4 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Sorry to condense your username. Granny Dyer is my preferred epitaph for you. Can't believe you don't like mushrooms. We had a mushroom bolognese the other night and it was superb. Recipe for you here: 

https://www.gousto.co.uk/cookbook/vegetarian-recipes/chestnut-mushroom-bolognese

My illiteracy comment was aimed at your inability to read my post.

I will repeat it for your benefit:

If people who don't like mushrooms were all to disappear in a puff of smoke the world would be a far better place.

2 hours ago, GordonD said:

I don't like fried or grilled tomatoes so they can get in the sea. But sausage, bacon, egg, beans, mushrooms, black pudding and (I know I'm going to get shouted down for this) hash browns - not necessarily all at the same time - would suit me fine. Maybe fried haggis as an alternative to the black pudding.

Hash browns are acceptable as an alternative to potato scones when outside Scotland, or when potato scones are otherwise unavailable.

When in Scotland, they should never be used as a substitute.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

My illiteracy comment was aimed at your inability to read my post.

I will repeat it for your benefit:

If people who don't like mushrooms were all to disappear in a puff of smoke the world would be a far better place.

Ah, I'm hungry from all this breakfast chat and not concentrating properly. As you were. 

27 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Hash browns are acceptable as an alternative to potato scones when outside Scotland, or when potato scones are otherwise unavailable.

When in Scotland, they should never be used as a substitute.

Quite happy to have both.

Very occasionally we will have a Brinner.  Sausage, bacon, beans, mushrooms, hash browns, potato scones, tomato.  My wife will have scrabbled egg instead of beans.

Big cup of tea to wash down.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Quite happy to have both.

Very occasionally we will have a Brinner.  Sausage, bacon, beans, mushrooms, hash browns, potato scones, tomato.  My wife will have scrabbled egg instead of beans.

Big cup of tea to wash down.

Both is ideal, but seems to be an unusual occurrence.

I don’t care if it’s on the plate or in a ramekin - as long as there is beans in my breakfast. If you haven’t got beans in a traditional breakfast then you aren’t eating a traditional breakfast.

They are also the only sauce which should be deemed acceptable on a cooked breakfast. Folk who smother it in brown or tomato sauce should be immediately put on the list. Sauce should only be deemed acceptable on breakfast rolls.

Baked beans are part of a 'full English' breakfast. 

A 'full Scottish' breakfast does not have baked beans, but MUST have either haggis, black pudding or a tattie scone.

Consequently, if having a 'full Scottish' there are no beans to come into contact with the egg(s).

When me and @Stellaboz shared a flat in Aberdeen we decided to a Man vs Food challenge for each other.

My effort, for him to eat, was a massive breakfast pie. I basically cooked up some beans, square sausage, link sausage, black pudding, scrambled egg and beans and fired it all in to a big mixing bowl. I used the bowl for it's intended purpose (mixing) then put the mixture on to some pastry, then folded the rest of the pastry over the top. The breakfast items weren't fully cooked before being put in the pastry, as obviously they'd cook in the oven and I didn't want to dry them out.

It turned out surprisingly well.

Whilst we're discussing tattie scones, they simply must be fried in butter/spread until nice and crispy on the outside.

6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

When me and @Stellaboz shared a flat in Aberdeen we decided to a Man vs Food challenge for each other.

My effort, for him to eat, was a massive breakfast pie. I basically cooked up some beans, square sausage, link sausage, black pudding, scrambled egg and beans and fired it all in to a big mixing bowl. I used the bowl for it's intended purpose (mixing) then put the mixture on to some pastry, then folded the rest of the pastry over the top. The breakfast items weren't fully cooked before being put in the pastry, as obviously they'd cook in the oven and I didn't want to dry them out.

It turned out surprisingly well.

Whilst we're discussing tattie scones, they simply must be fried in butter/spread until nice and crispy on the outside.

You know they're ready when they self inflate.

Archived