What Rule Change Would You Suggest?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine would be to the timekeeping.

Football must be the only professional sport where the exact amount of time played/ still to play is a great big secret that only the ref is in on.  We get the board showing how long is left but it's very approximate.

Either a separate timekeeper, or still the ref's watch, but it's linked to a big electronic clock on the scoreboard and to tv coverage if being shown live.  If the match clock is stopped, so does the one the supporters see. No just guessing how long is left and no more managers complaining "I don't know where he got all that additional time from" when they concede a late goal. 

Its clear and transparent for everyone.

I also like the rule that a few other sports have where once the 90 minutes are up, the match doesn't stop until the ball goes out of play.

15 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Mine would be to the timekeeping.

Football must be the only professional sport where the exact amount of time played/ still to play is a great big secret that only the ref is in on.  We get the board showing how long is left but it's very approximate.

Either a separate timekeeper, or still the ref's watch, but it's linked to a big electronic clock on the scoreboard and to tv coverage if being shown live.  If the match clock is stopped, so does the one the supporters see. No just guessing how long is left and no more managers complaining "I don't know where he got all that additional time from" when they concede a late goal. 

Its clear and transparent for everyone.

I also like the rule that a few other sports have where once the 90 minutes are up, the match doesn't stop until the ball goes out of play.

There's merit in this.

On a similar theme I'd like to see a crackdown on time wasting.  The clock stopping when the ball is out of play would probably go some way to help that or alternatively the refs given more powers to book players etc.  At the moment it's far too easy for a team to kill a game by feigning injury etc.  I don't particularly blame the players for doing it, but it's incredibly frustrating to watch and the ref should be able to do something about it.

11 hours ago, Jimboyjones1976 said:

Phoned into Clyde last week regarding the Jordan Jones diving retrospective ban only to be followed on the show by some jumped up Killie fan who straight away dived into a bit of whataboutery without even listening to what I wasn’t saying.

Anyhows, my suggestion was this. Using the Jones case as an example, the whole thing overlooked the fact that when retrospective bans are handed out, the team (in this case Dundee who were cheated against) are the ones who don’t benefit from the punishment handed down. The next two teams to play Killie benefit instead. 

My suggestion was that when a retrospective red card or ban is handed out, the team the player played for should play from the start with 10 men for the period of time the player should’ve been off for in the next meeting of the two teams. That way it addresses the fact they were wronged and also allows them the chance against ten men that they should’ve had in the first place. I would also keep the 2 game ban too.

Got me thinking what rules the rest of you would change in the game?

I don’t think they will benefit, The Guy we will replace Jorah Jones with is probably a better player. As Jordan was doing well he would rightly not have been dropped but as they say,every cloud. If at the time the ref had thought Jones had dived it would only have been a yellow. 

11 hours ago, Jimboyjones1976 said:

Phoned into Clyde last week regarding the Jordan Jones diving retrospective ban only to be followed on the show by some jumped up Killie fan who straight away dived into a bit of whataboutery without even listening to what I wasn’t saying.

Anyhows, my suggestion was this. Using the Jones case as an example, the whole thing overlooked the fact that when retrospective bans are handed out, the team (in this case Dundee who were cheated against) are the ones who don’t benefit from the punishment handed down. The next two teams to play Killie benefit instead. 

My suggestion was that when a retrospective red card or ban is handed out, the team the player played for should play from the start with 10 men for the period of time the player should’ve been off for in the next meeting of the two teams. That way it addresses the fact they were wronged and also allows them the chance against ten men that they should’ve had in the first place. I would also keep the 2 game ban too.

Got me thinking what rules the rest of you would change in the game?

That would be 0 minutes then, since he should only have been booked?

I'd change the rules regarding throw ins. No need for the two handed, feet on the ground approach that has fans constantly screaming "Foul throw", with the Peter Schmeichel style 60 yard rocket up the park encouraged.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

My bet hate is referees inability to understand the rules regarding throw ins. Must be 2 or 3 foul throws every game, yet none are ever pulled back.

Throw-ins and defensive free kicks being taken from the correct place would be mine.

In our game on Saturday, the ball went out and hit the outside of the dugout closest to the the tunnel. By the time the Thistle player took it, he was beyond the end of the other dugout. We then got a fk on our byeline which our keeper took in line with the 18 yard line.

At the time, I was obviously less bothered by the latter than the former.

Bring back FUCKING SHOCKING dirty tackles.

The sight of your wee nippy forward being halfed in two (from behind for the added look of surprise on his face) by that bastart of a centre half from the other team - and the seethe that it induced - is one of the things I miss most. In order for this to happen, Referees would need to revert to the "Raised eyebrow after 5 fouls, yellow card after 15" protocol that used to be in place.

In order to even things up and allow the forward to look good , it would need to be mandatory for defenders to smoke and have a minimum BMI equivalent to the average Newcastle United supporter.

2 minutes ago, Swello said:

Bring back FUCKING SHOCKING dirty tackles.

The sight of your wee nippy forward being halfed in two (from behind for the added look of surprise on his face) by that bastart of a centre half from the other team - and the seethe that it induced - is one of the things I miss most. In order for this to happen, Referees would need to revert to the "Raised eyebrow after 5 fouls, yellow card after 15" protocol that used to be in place.

In order to even things up and allow the forward to look good , it would need to be mandatory for defenders to smoke and have a minimum BMI equivalent to the average Newcastle United supporter.

Head down to any amateur or junior game this weekend and you'll see plenty of both...

7 minutes ago, OSP said:

Head down to any amateur or junior game this weekend and you'll see plenty of both...

Thats true. Started going back to watch the juniors this season. Been to 9 games this season and seen about 6 or 7 of the most brutal tackles ive seen in 30 odd years of going to the football

Archived