What Rule Change Would You Suggest?

7 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

I'd get rid of throw ins altogether, and replace them with the ball being kicked back into play.

*removes the foul throw aspect

*give the lino a foam thing too, and when the ball goes out, either lino or ref marks the 'kick in' spot with foam. Stealing yardage becomes a thing of the past. 

*had a 3rd benefit, but I've forgotten it. Damn Alzheimer's. 

Standing kick or run up?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Same as a corner, run up is ok.

I like the idea but wonder what many would say when the ball is kicked out for a ‘kick in’ 5 or 10 yards from the corner flag. Effectively the attacking team would have an ‘enhanced’ corner kick with an angle at goal. This would mean an advantage would be had over an attacking team shooting for goal, having it saved by the goalie and him just touching it round the post. The better attacking play gains the least advantage.

3 minutes ago, Jimboyjones1976 said:

I like the idea but wonder what many would say when the ball is kicked out for a ‘kick in’ 5 or 10 yards from the corner flag. Effectively the attacking team would have an ‘enhanced’ corner kick with an angle at goal. This would mean an advantage would be had over an attacking team shooting for goal, having it saved by the goalie and him just touching it round the post. The better attacking play gains the least advantage.

Same for both teams potentially. More defensive teams lose that possible attacking option.

No rule is perfect anyway, but throw ins have more wrong than right. Just look how many times they've been mentioned already. Get rid.

1 minute ago, Boghead ranter said:

Same for both teams potentially. More defensive teams lose that possible attacking option.

No rule is perfect anyway, but throw ins have more wrong than right. Just look how many times they've been mentioned already. Get rid.

One handed throw ins! With the player facing the crowd and throwing backwards?

Sensible one: if an outfield players handles it on the line and the ball is indisputably going in e.g. Suarez vs Ghana in 2010 WC, the goal is awarded rather than a penalty, and the player still gets yellow card for the deliberate handball- if there's any doubt about whether it's going in it's still a penalty and yellow card. With VAR this can be pretty much flawless.

Less sensible one: tackles with zero attempt at all to play the ball are red cards regardless of them being "good fouls" or "took one for the team"- this explains it better than I can

Least sensible (and in direct contradiction to the one above):

8 hours ago, Reignman said:

I've always found it annoying watching defenders shepherd the ball out of play and holding off an attacker while doing so, especially when they're miles away from the ball. Its become part of the game but I dont see how its not a foul on the defenders part, they're physically impeding the attacker and making no attempt to play the ball. If they did it in the middle of the pitch it would be a foul.

I would change the rule so that if a player shields the ball from an opppnent with his body he is effectively taking possession of it and so if it goes out if play the throw in/corner kick goes to the opponent. Would stamp it out in no time and would force defenders to actually play football.

If a defender is doing this an attacker can knee him in the arse, volley him in the baws, punch him in the back of the head etc with no foul given. The amount of free kicks that are won at the sideline by someone collapsing under the faintest of nudges is ridiculous as well.

Archived