What Rule Change Would You Suggest?

21 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

I’d get rid of the following beta rules:

1. Retrospective diving bans.  If the referee is conned then fair play to the boy diving, give the referee the ban and the player the praise for the great trickery and leave it at that. 

2. Yellow cards for doing an imaginary card. Quite clearly discriminating against those that can’t speak English very well and/or are mute. 

3. Foul throws given for anything other than one handed throws. This isn’t cricket, not interested about the angle of delivery. Get on with the game.

Not too sure what games you watch, but 2 and 3 don’t happen at the moment.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I’d get rid of the following beta rules:
1. Retrospective diving bans.  If the referee is conned then fair play to the boy diving, give the referee the ban and the player the praise for the great trickery and leave it at that. 
2. Yellow cards for doing an imaginary card. Quite clearly discriminating against those that can’t speak English very well and/or are mute. 
3. Foul throws given for anything other than one handed throws. This isn’t cricket, not interested about the angle of delivery. Get on with the game.

No 1 is silly.

If you believe diving is wrong or cheating then absolving the perpetrator of any blame makes no sense.

1 minute ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

If a game is tied as it goes into the 80th minute, an extra ball enters the pitch. The game then ends dead on 90 minutes, and if it's still a draw neither team gets any points. 

That's just about batshit mental enough to have me on board.

12 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

If a game is tied as it goes into the 80th minute, an extra ball enters the pitch. The game then ends dead on 90 minutes, and if it's still a draw neither team gets any points. 

That would be brilliant to watch, the havoc would be outstanding.

Tam Cowan joked on Saturday that they could try multi ball - one for each player - but Dundee would still not score . . .

I'd also advocate picking 11 punters out of the crowd instead of extra time.

Professionals have had their chance, now it's up to Brian, who is currently suffering from an early onset of hangover because he had a skinfull on the bus down. 

Think of the drama picking out seat numbers, and who you're going to get? 

0-0 draws = no points.

Five goals scored = bonus point.

A 'Purge' rule at corners, where everything is legal until the ball hits the turf. Short corners are outlawed completely.

If all members of a team have taken a penalty during a shootout then the managers and coaching staff step up next, followed by mascots and ball boys.

10 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

If all members of a team have taken a penalty during a shootout then the managers and coaching staff step up next, followed by mascots and ball boys.

Followed by choosing people from the crowd.

On the time wasting issue, I'd make the game 60 mins and play every second like they do in Basketball, ball goes out of play then clock stops, substitution clock stops and etc that would cut out all the time wasting pretty quickly.

Whilst possibly justifiable to go too ' ball in play' timing the idea it would stop tine wasting sharp isn't really that strong. The majority of time wasting antics are designed to disrupt momentum, slow the game down rather than the actual seconds taken up.

10 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Whilst possibly justifiable to go too ' ball in play' timing the idea it would stop tine wasting sharp isn't really that strong. The majority of time wasting antics are designed to disrupt momentum, slow the game down rather than the actual seconds taken up.

Was just about to post the same thing. You could end up with a team taking a ridiculous amount of time to do anything every time the ball goes out of play and the game would take far longer than 90-100 minutes.

I guess we'd need an additional rule that each stoppage can only go on for a reasonable amount of time (e.g. X seconds to retrieve a ball gone out of play, Y seconds to take a goal kick, etc). What the punishment would be for breaking this rule, I'm not sure.

I've always found it annoying watching defenders shepherd the ball out of play and holding off an attacker while doing so, especially when they're miles away from the ball. Its become part of the game but I dont see how its not a foul on the defenders part, they're physically impeding the attacker and making no attempt to play the ball. If they did it in the middle of the pitch it would be a foul.

I would change the rule so that if a player shields the ball from an opppnent with his body he is effectively taking possession of it and so if it goes out if play the throw in/corner kick goes to the opponent. Would stamp it out in no time and would force defenders to actually play football.

If a shot hits the bar or post then goes out then a corner (or less likely a throw in) is awarded to the attacking team.
If it’s a draw in the last 15 minutes of the game, the mascots go in the goals instead of the goalkeepers.

I've always found it annoying watching defenders shepherd the ball out of play and holding off an attacker while doing so, especially when they're miles away from the ball. Its become part of the game but I dont see how its not a foul on the defenders part, they're physically impeding the attacker and making no attempt to play the ball. If they did it in the middle of the pitch it would be a foul.
I would change the rule so that if a player shields the ball from an opppnent with his body he is effectively taking possession of it and so if it goes out if play the throw in/corner kick goes to the opponent. Would stamp it out in no time and would force defenders to actually play football.
I like this.

The captain of each SPFL team MUST attend the same training and information sessions that referees do. Rather than the players just watching directive videos from the SFA and FIFA, the captains must participate in the sessions just like the referees. This would go towards a better understanding of the rules. Couple this with the previous suggestion that only the captain can approach the ref. Take this further and create a firm route to get ex players into refereeing.

I'd get rid of throw ins altogether, and replace them with the ball being kicked back into play.

*removes the foul throw aspect

*give the lino a foam thing too, and when the ball goes out, either lino or ref marks the 'kick in' spot with foam. Stealing yardage becomes a thing of the past. 

*had a 3rd benefit, but I've forgotten it. Damn Alzheimer's. 

Archived