Pyramid 2019/2020

In answer to the pub quiz question...

Turriff, Fortmartine or Strathspey?

or

Craigroyston, Easthouses MW before one or both switched back... and the into the seniors again?

I may be wrong, just off the top of my head

Edited by Spyro

2 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

If it's before Kelty in the south would it not be Ormiston Primrose?

That's who I was thinking of having got my head around the first Southern side to move from Junior to Senior in nearly 20 years from 2017. The Pencaitland-Ormiston merger happened in 1999.

I'm not sure which is the right thread for this but the current LL standings make very interesting reading.  Of course, it's very early days and clubs have games in hand (particularly Berwick).

Top two are ex juniors.  3rd-6th are clubs which weren't in the seniors (or juniors) until the past few years (EK, BSC, Braves, Colts).

Bottom ten currently made up of two former SPFL clubs and eight former EoS clubs (Dalbeattie obviously former EoS and SoS).

You would still expect Berwick and East Stirling to rise and perhaps Spartans.  Interested to see how Spartans do this season because I feel like they might just have missed out on their shot at the SPFL but I'm sure they are still hopeful.

Certainly a fascinating league along with the EoS and very interesting to see what the league is like in a few years time.

4 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

^^^ Suspect that's from a poster on here called something like Sunrise.

No comment!

It's very much my opinion I'd add, and not totally reflected of us at the club... oh wait, I said no comment...

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

That's who I was thinking of having got my head around the first Southern side to move from Junior to Senior in nearly 20 years from 2017. The Pencaitland-Ormiston merger happened in 1999.

Correct!

Edited by Sunrise

1 hour ago, stanley said:

Certainly a fascinating league along with the EoS and very interesting to see what the league is like in a few years time.

A second automatic relegation place is definitely called for, but don't hold your breath on it happening because the clubs that are going to get flushed out of the LL in the years ahead have an effective veto on changes to relegation and will be in no rush to leave tier 5. Would be good to see Bonnyrigg go up this season to see how visiting directors from SPFL clubs would cope with having to stand on the terracing with the plebs.

A second automatic relegation place is definitely called for, but don't hold your breath on it happening because the clubs that are going to get flushed out of the LL in the years ahead have an effective veto on changes to relegation and will be in no rush to leave tier 5. Would be good to see Bonnyrigg go up this season to see how visiting directors from SPFL clubs would cope with having to stand on the terracing with the plebs.

You drift between desperately trying to sound like the voice of reason and ‘MON THE JUNIORS 111!!!’ and you’ve certainly gone for the later in the last few days.

I’ve no doubt there’s committee members and directors that enjoy the free entry and schmoozing but the vast majority are just fans(and that goes for every area of the game). I know after admin our directors found it difficult to adjust and generally like watching matches the same as the always have done, so they rotate who is on hosting duties and who gets the day off to enjoy the football(which realistically is the only reward for the time/money they put in)

Most of the director boxes are hardly luxury and typically just being a central section of the stand.

I’m sure if Bonnyrigg go up they’ll host opposition directors well and will be given a good reception themselves.

It’s really not that much of a difference between the two different worlds.

Some people on here are more anti-junior than they are pro-pyramid. Roll on the days when the LL means Bo'ness United vs Auchinleck Talbot rather than Gretna vs Vale of Leithen. There will be some speed bumps on the way thanks to the various blazers involved but it's coming eventually.

32 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

You drift between desperately trying to sound like the voice of reason and ‘MON THE JUNIORS 111!!!’ and you’ve certainly gone for the later in the last few days.

It's been quite enlightening.  Being pro-Pyramid equates to being anti-Junior in the minds of many involved in the Junior game, it's been like that since the LL was first being talked about 8 or so years ago. If you thought it was a good idea to get involved you incurred the wrath of the hard core.

Most of the clubs that people tend to expect to be "flushed out of the LL" probably aren't the ones to worry about. You're talking about clubs that bounced between the old EoS Premier/First division set up pre-pyramid. Dalbeattie opted out of the EoS to return to the SoS and even Gretna 2008 are meant to have tried for the SoS originally.

These aren't the clubs to worry about holding up the pyramid. These are the clubs that made the pyramid possible by saying yes.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

Some people on here are more anti-junior than they are pro-pyramid. Roll on the days when the LL means Bo'ness United vs Auchinleck Talbot rather than Gretna vs Vale of Leithen. There will be some speed bumps on the way thanks to the various blazers involved but it's coming eventually.

Not seen anyone who’s anti-junior.

Few are anti ‘JuNIOrS ARE THE BEST, look at massive (unrecorded, unreported) crowds mentality.

More are anti the terrible way junior football has been run under TJ’s tenure.

Neither are are anti-junior attitudes tho.

If you can name those your accusing that would be helpful, I suspect burnie_man will top your list. Someone who supported a junior club for decades, who at one point in time argued for EoS clubs joining EJFA on mass.

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

I’m sure if Bonnyrigg go up they’ll host opposition directors well and will be given a good reception themselves.

It’s really not that much of a difference between the two different worlds.

I know where you're coming from, but equally, I know directors of one L2 club and uncovered standing would be a bit of a shock to their system. I'll bet Dunfermline's directors have never had that at an away match. I take it you know there are literally no seats at Bonnyrigg, apart from a wee bench?

Tbh I think 50 covered seats should be a minimum requirement for entry to the SPFL, just my opinion.

7 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I know where you're coming from, but equally, I know directors of one L2 club and uncovered standing would be a bit of a shock to their system. I'll bet Dunfermline's directors have never had that at an away match. 

Tbh I think 50 covered seats should be a minimum requirement for entry to the SPFL, just my opinion.

I’ve seen our directors standing on uncovered terracing at Cowdenbeath.  Several more occasions with them under cover on terracing. 

How much of a shock to the system are we expecting to give people that experience cliftonhill and Central Park on a regular basis?

i do agree on a need for seating, at least to cover ambient disabled.   But I don’t agree with a mindset that has directors terrified of rain and standing up.  

26 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I’ve seen our directors standing on uncovered terracing at Cowdenbeath.  Several more occasions with them under cover on terracing. 

How much of a shock to the system are we expecting to give people that experience cliftonhill and Central Park on a regular basis?

i do agree on a need for seating, at least to cover ambient disabled.   But I don’t agree with a mindset that has directors terrified of rain and standing up.  

They have plenty covered seating in the stand for directors at Cliftonhill and Central Park. I've sat in the one at Cliftonhill - on a night of biblical rain, funnily enough.

The guys I'm talking about are businessmen and professionals, and go to games in suits. I really think it's unarguable that for some, standing in the rain at a game would be a rude awakening. NDP is one of my favourite non-league grounds but there's no question it's a considerable step down in comfort even from Cowdenbeath and the Coatbridge San Siro. And then there's the slope...

They have plenty covered seating in the stand for directors at Cliftonhill and Central Park. I've sat in the one at Cliftonhill - on a night of biblical rain, funnily enough.
The guys I'm talking about are businessmen and professionals, and go to games in suits. I really think it's unarguable that for some, standing in the rain at a game would be a rude awakening. NDP is one of my favourite non-league grounds but there's no question it's a considerable step down in comfort even from Cowdenbeath and the Coatbridge San Siro. And then there's the slope...
I do believe the SFA President was standing at a recent game at NDP. He didn't seem traumatised at the experience. We had Craig Brown at a game last season, and he wasn't born yesterday.

That said though, I think seating may well be the next major licence requirement down the track.

8 hours ago, GordonS said:

I know where you're coming from, but equally, I know directors of one L2 club and uncovered standing would be a bit of a shock to their system....

The reaction to what I viewed as a light-hearted joke more than anything else is a bit of an eye opener. Have to wonder now what the reaction would be to hospitality revolving around a bottle of Eldorado from a blue bag in a portacabin rather than a well-aged single malt from a glass cabinet in an oak-paneled boardroom 😎. That sort of shock to the system might explain why Arbroath were quite vocal about not wanting to play at Newtown Park a few years back. No matter, junior clubs from former mining towns and villages seem to have figured out how to install the devil's lanterns and compile fixture lists despite all the ever so witty banter that used to appear on here over the years, so it's only a matter of time until they find their natural level in the pyramid and the former EoS premier clubs do as well. Anyone who is genuinely pro-pyramid should welcome that and be very much looking forward to that outcome.

2 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

I do believe the SFA President was standing at a recent game at NDP. He didn't seem traumatised at the experience. We had Craig Brown at a game last season, and he wasn't born yesterday.

That said though, I think seating may well be the next major licence requirement down the track.

At steps 1-3 of English non-league football, 250 seats are required. Step 4 requires 150.