Pyramid 2019/2020

1 hour ago, Marten said:

Although I think it would have been fair enough to regard Selkirk as bottom team, I also think a move to 2 relegated teams from the LL is badly needed.So in that sense, I think 15th should always go down.

Aye, for the start of next season, so that we know where the goalposts are, before we kick off. 

6 minutes ago, Nimmo's Notes said:

Aye, for the start of next season, so that we know where the goalposts are, before we kick off. 

By the sounds of it they've already reworded the rule to prevent this year from happening again. Doubt they'll increase relegation until all the Tier 6 stuff has been sorted out.

3 hours ago, Nimmo's Notes said:

Agree. The main thing is, whatever the rules on relegation were before the season started, they must be adhered to. Changes could be made in time for next season.

Regardless of what happens with the rest of the pyramid, there are already a fair few ex-Junior teams in the EoS who would be great assets to the LL. It's already time for two relegation places in my view for this reason alone - licensing permitting. And also I believe the LL should change it's rules on re-election - if the team(s) in the EoS promotion places are licensed, then they should be promoted.

Ideally, re-election should only be an option when no licensed clubs  finished in promotion places. In my opinion, I think it would be in the LL's long term interest to fill any vacancies next season with licenced teams from the EoS championship play-offs. But for this season if the rules say otherwise, then fair enough.

Granted this would all have a lot to do with an automatic promotion place to the SFL2 happening and who knows when that might finally come to pass. But as things stand, you've got Peterhead, Edinburgh City and Annan all in the SFL2 promotion places. Looking at it from a long term perspective, all of these teams were "non-league" not an awfully long ago, and shows the potential of the pyramid system. Peterhead of course have been up to the third tier before but the point remains. 

Edited by Cameron Wilson

On 20/04/2019 at 18:14, Robert James said:

As a different pyramid question......

If Berwick Rangers finish as SPFL Club 42 (as now looks likely), will they be strong enough to defeat either Cove Rangers, or East Kilbride in the play-off final ? The Wee Rangers are currently on a dreadful run of results, including today, and are  5 points behind Albion Rovers,  each with 2 games remaining in Division Two.  Next week's fixture :   Berwick Rangers  v  Albion Rovers is crucial, with Rovers only needing a draw to avoid the relegation play-off.   

Looking at their records, both the Highland and Lowland League champions, look strong :  

Cove Rangers    34  30-3-1   93 pts            East Kilbride   28  23-3-2   72 pts

If Berwick (or Albion) fail to win the Club 42  play-off final, it would be the second time (only) that a non league club will be promoted through the Pyramid system ?  Is this a likely outcome ?  

Also, if Cove Rangers win promotion to the SPFL, will this put Dalbeattie Star in a potential relegation position,  to the SoSL ?

No threat to Dalbeattie as the Lowland would just revert to 16 clubs.

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 17:05, TheLad said:

Congratulations to Broxburn and Blackburn.
For Blackburn, they have been mocked and scorned for over a year now by some very local former rivals who might (and should) be left wondering what if, had they shown a bit of ambition, like Blackburn did.
Fantastic set up, a really well run club

When you look at what Blackburn United – one of the historically smaller sides in West Lothian Junior football not so very long ago - have achieved over the past five or six years;

- SFA Community Quality Mark

- SFA Legacy Award

- New ground

- New 3G playing surface

- Promotion from the ERSJFA South Division to the ERSJFA Premier League and a top five finish in that league last season

- Early application to move to the EoSFL at the end of last season

- 'Promotion' to the EoSFL Premier League at the first time of asking this season and retention of their Tier 6 status in Senior football

- An early license application in for full membership of the SFA and a place in next seasons Scottish Cup

then you really have to ask yourself…..what on earth must the remaining West Lothian Junior clubs, supporters and committee alike, be thinking? What were the decision makers at these clubs doing over the same time period to find themselves so far behind with no real vision for the future of their clubs other than loyalty to a dying ‘grade’ and a desperation to return to ‘local’ football where next term they might very well end up playing each other umpteen times a season in what could be considered no more than a glorified West Lothian amateur league?

Edited by 12 Angry Men

you really have to ask yourself…..what on earth must the remaining West Lothian Junior clubs, supporters and committee alike, be thinking? What were the decision makers at these clubs doing over the same time period to find themselves so far behind with no real vision for the future of their clubs other than loyalty to a dying ‘grade’ and a desperation to return to ‘local’ football where next term they might very well end up playing each other umpteen times a season in what could be considered no more than a glorified West Lothian amateur league?

If I were a fan of the likes of Whitburn, Armadale Thistle, Bathgate Thistle and Fauldhouse United in particular - all bigger teams locally than Blackburn United - then I’d be asking just why have my club been standing still (or, indeed, been going backwards) when Blackburn have forged so far ahead both on and off the park. For these clubs, small thinkers achieve small things.

If I were a fan of the likes of Whitburn, Armadale Thistle, Bathgate Thistle and Fauldhouse United in particular - all bigger teams locally than Blackburn United - then I’d be asking just why have my club been standing still (or, indeed, been going backwards) when Blackburn have forged so far ahead both on and off the park. For these clubs, small thinkers achieve small things.

The above mentioned clubs will be in the pyramid at tier 6 next season at the same level as Blackburn

49 minutes ago, Vollyman said:

The above mentioned clubs will be in the pyramid at tier 6 next season at the same level as Blackburn

Even if that is the case, that still means you'll be playing in the the East Region with other West Lothian teams, and not the against the big boys in the EoS. Just being in the pyramid at tier 6 doesn't make a difference to most East Junior clubs as they aren't going for a licence and probably couldn't compete at tier 5.

3 hours ago, 12 Angry Men said:

then you really have to ask yourself…..what on earth must the remaining West Lothian Junior clubs, supporters and committee alike, be thinking?

JC at Fauldhouse wanted to get promoted to play the top teams but just couldn't make the link between that and moving to the EoS. Amazing that none of the fans, committee or players ask themselves why they are no longer playing the big boys.

Edited by Ginaro

I believe Cove Rangers will gain promotion to the SFL this season at the expense of Berwick Rangers who will drop down to the Lowland League.  In that scenario am I right in thinking that only the winners of the EOSFL and SOSFL play off will be promoted with no room for any other applicants such as Linlithgow Rose?

2 minutes ago, Dreghorn said:

I believe Cove Rangers will gain promotion to the SFL this season at the expense of Berwick Rangers who will drop down to the Lowland League.  In that scenario am I right in thinking that only the winners of the EOSFL and SOSFL play off will be promoted with no room for any other applicants such as Linlithgow Rose?

There is no play off between EOSFL and SOSFL as Stranraer Reserves who won the SOSFL cannot move

Edited by kevsmart
Spellcheck

5 minutes ago, Dreghorn said:

The winners of the EoS play-off (either Bonnyrigg, Broxburn or Penicuik) will replace Whitehill Welfare (if licenced).  That keeps the league at 15, but if Cove beat EK and then beat Berwick, Berwick will come down and fill the 16th space.  However if EK win and go up, they will swap with Berwick meaning 16th spot needs filled by application.  I think that's how it works.

11 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

The winners of the EoS play-off (either Bonnyrigg, Broxburn or Penicuik) will replace Whitehill Welfare (if licenced).  That keeps the league at 15, but if Cove beat EK and then beat Berwick, Berwick will come down and fill the 16th space.  However if EK win and go up, they will swap with Berwick meaning 16th spot needs filled by application.  I think that's how it works.

It will depend whether or not the EOSFL stick to what they said following Selkirk's demise, i.e. that the league would operate as if it was 15 teams only with the bottom club relegated and depending on who, if anyone was promoted from the HL/LL/SPFL L2 playoffs, and who came down from SPFL L2, a second club could be relegated.

The scenario I had in mind was as follows: The winner of the EOSFL (if licensed) would be promoted with Whitehill relegated.   If however Cove was promoted to SPFL L2, with Berwick coming down to the LL, then Dalbeattie could find itself in a relegation position.

The Selkirk vacancy would still have to be filled by application from a licensed club. That applicant could equally be Dalbeattie, Whitehill, Linlithgow or a number of others.

All other play-off scenarios would leave Dalbeattie safe.

Edit: Just to clarify, I don't believe that Berwick could take Selkirk's position, either through relegation or application.

Edited by Footballfirst

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

It will depend whether or not the EOSFL stick to what they said following Selkirk's demise, i.e. that the league would operate as if it was 15 teams only with the bottom club relegated and depending on who, if anyone was promoted for the HL LL playoff, and who came down from SPFL L2, a second club could be relegated.

The scenario I had in mind was as follows: The winner of the EOSFL (if licensed) would be promoted with Whitehill relegated.   If however Cove was promoted to SPFL L2, with Berwick coming down to the LL, then Dalbeattie could find itself in a relegation position.

The Selkirk vacancy would still have to be filled by application from a licensed club. That applicant could equally be Dalbeattie, Whitehill, Linlithgow or a number of others.

All other play-off scenarios would leave Dalbeattie safe.

Depends how the LL view the rules, but there is a post in the LL section that suggests Dalbeattie are safe come what may.

11 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Depends how the LL view the rules, but there is a post in the LL section that suggests Dalbeattie are safe come what may.

I understand that, but only if the LL is insistent that only one club will ever be relegated come what may.

If Selkirk had survived and ended mid table in a 16 team league, then Berwick was demoted with Cove taking their place in SPFL L2, how would promotion/relegation between the LL and EOS have played out?

Would WW be relegated with no one promoted to keep the LL at 16 teams? Alternatively would the EOSFL champions be promoted at the expense of WW and the LL run with 17 teams next season?

Edited by Footballfirst

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

I understand that, but only if the LL is insistent that only one club will ever be relegated come what may.

If Selkirk had survived and ended mid table in a 16 team league, then Berwick was demoted with Cove taking their place in SPFL L2, how would promotion/relegation between the LL and EOS have played out?

Would WW be relegated, with no one promoted to keep the LL at 16 teams? Alternatively would the EOSFL champions be promoted at the expense of WW and the LL run with 17 teams next season?

In normal circumstance they relegate second bottom I believe in that scenario to stay at 16.   ie bottom goes down to be replaced by EoS/SoS winner, but 15th also goes down to accommodate Berwick.