Pyramid 2019/2020

We should've just gone for North and South Regional Leagues at tier 5, as the SFA planned back when the Lowland was set up. Then we'd've had HFL, EoSFL and SoSFL all at tier 6. HFL becoming a SPFL feeder in its own right has made things even more lopsided than they were before...

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/lower-leagues/bonnyrigg-rose-aim-to-clinch-title-as-groundhoppers-soak-up-east-of-scotland-league-1-4897841

"We’ll have a top division next season and two divisions below that." says John Greenhorn - tier 8 on the cards or a journo getting it wrong?

2 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

We should've just gone for North and South Regional Leagues at tier 5, as the SFA planned back when the Lowland was set up. Then we'd've had HFL, EoSFL and SoSFL all at tier 6. HFL becoming a SPFL feeder in its own right has made things even more lopsided than they were before...

And how many teams would these north and south tier 5 leagues have had?

10 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/lower-leagues/bonnyrigg-rose-aim-to-clinch-title-as-groundhoppers-soak-up-east-of-scotland-league-1-4897841

"We’ll have a top division next season and two divisions below that." says John Greenhorn - tier 8 on the cards or a journo getting it wrong?

I think the two divisions comment is more about either seeded conferences or First Divisions North & South.

From the EoS Fixture list pdf:

image.png.370c8ffa841379e152fec21308005c77.png

By two divisions below he may have meant two groups at tier 7 either regional groups or conferences again.

Why not?
Looking at the North/south split in the league and challenge cups is a reasonable argument why not.

Hearts in a North group despite being 50 miles from the english borders. Stenhousemuir and East Stirling being split North South.
Dumbarton in a North group

47 minutes ago, calmac25 said:

Looking at the North/south split in the league and challenge cups is a reasonable argument why not.

Hearts in a North group despite being 50 miles from the english borders. Stenhousemuir and East Stirling being split North South.
Dumbarton in a North group

The Challenge Cup is seeded first, before being regionalised, rather than the other way round.

57 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The 10 Highland/Lowland Leagues always seemed like a bit of a non-starter. You'd probably have got more traction with an 16/18/20 team national league that would of gutted the Highland, SoS and EoS allowing for the 3 Junior Regions at Tier 6.

To be honest, that's pretty much what the Division 3 clubs wanted. The two regionalised divisions was a compromise.

We'll have a pretty clear picture by the end of next month on whether the SFA Board can impose a solution. If they can't, and the only possible basis for it that I could find in their constitution looks quite weak, things might get interesting, if this is billed as the last year of tier 7 entry.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 15:45, AlanCamelonfan said:

I think to be honest the ones in the east dont seem bothered by the pyramid so not sure their will be a massive load of clubs come in

Disappointingly, although perhaps not surprisingly given their lethargy last season, those teams in the east who are south of the HL/LL dividing line and, therefore, able to move to the EoSFL without hindrance seem to have nothing but absolute ambivalence to the idea of doing so. Sadly, they appear delighted at the idea recently floated and - I think? - approved that will see the ERSJFA recast into (very) small, local leagues that, from the outside looking in, makes the set-up look no better than any number of local amateur leagues. Still, it is their choice to make and the scant evidence available would suggest that they are more than happy with that choice.

I had hoped that Glenrothes recently applying for EoSFL membership would have focused the minds of those club committees left in the ERSJFA on this being a proactive, measured and ambitious move to make but it appears other Fife and West Lothian teams intend to remain in their own little footballing bubble and drift yet further away from the wider game in Scotland.

Edited by Black & Red Socks

1 hour ago, Black & Red Socks said:

I had hoped that Glenrothes recently applying for EoSFL membership would have focused the minds of those club committees left in the ERSJFA on this being a proactive, measured and ambitious move to make but it appears other Fife and West Lothian teams intend to remain in their own little footballing bubble and drift yet further away from the wider game in Scotland.

Agreed. Despite originally being from the area I don't have any special knowledge or inside info on the west Fife junior scene, but I was surprised Oakley moved last year. Equally surprised Rosyth appear to be staying put, given how close they are to so many EoS junior teams.

It is however possible that there have been further applications or even conditional ones which we don't know about yet. Glenrothes moving proves that not all east juniors were convinced by the claim that the east juniors were in at tier six, and it's unlikely they were alone, even if they were the only ones to act openly so far.

A lot happened after the original EoS deadline last year, it's still possible there could be some movement yet to come although I would concede it doesn't look likely at this point.

What is notable that the voices suggesting that a few EoS clubs would move back to the juniors have gone quiet. Best bet is for the EoS and East Juniors to press on with their talks. 

5 hours ago, Black & Red Socks said:

Lets be honest, none of the remaining east juniors would add much to the EoS. All the decent teams have already moved over.

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Lets be honest, none of the remaining east juniors would add much to the EoS. All the decent teams have already moved over.

I think it's fair to say the strongest east juniors south of the Tay have moved over... which effectively means its hard to see the east juniors having any real long term future as anything other than a couple of district leagues at best. Unless it can find a way to merge with the EoS.

It's not a question of quality more one of unity in the east for semi-pro football. The alternative is arachaic divides remain or the batshit erjfa sitting alongside the EOS at tier 6 idea.